Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

My Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 connection reconnects after a period of time while connect to Lan. How can I make it only connect when not on Lan and stay off while on Lan?

TCoop4
Beginner

I have quite a few Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptops connected to Thunderbolt 3 Docking Stations running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.285).

When powered on with no Ethernet cable attached to the docking station the WiFi starts perfectly. When connected to the Lan at startup no WiFi is connected as desired. Disconnecting and reconnecting the Lan cable causes the WiFi connection to behave properly – on or off as it should be. However, after a period of time while connected to the Lan, the WiFi connects again so that both Lan and Wan are connected simultaneously.

Steps taken so far:

Went in to ThinkPad Bios and Enabled Wireless Auto Disconnection and set Thunderbolt Security to No Security

Set Network Provider Order as follows :

Microsoft Windows Network

Web Client Network

Microsoft Remote Desktop Session Host Server Network Provider

Updated to the latest firmware/drivers:

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Generation System Firmware 1.37 – Driver 1.0.0.37 – Date 2/19/2019

Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 - Driver 19.50.1.6 – Date 6/1/2017

ThinkPad TBT 3 Dock Ethernet - Driver 10,30.116.2019 – Date 1/16/2019

Tried turning off TCP/IP v4 (not using v6) Automatic metric and manually setting to 5 for Lan and 35 for Wi-Fi.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. This behavior seem to be expected on the system, this could be happening because the WLAN network is the to connect automatically on the system. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner

​Thanks Leonardo, The connection is set to connect automatically.  When I set it to manual it only connects when they connect it.  We are a hospital and many users use both connections through out the course of the day.  It would be nice, for ease of use, for it to be able sense what connection to use.  I see that some Nics have a setting to only connect when not connected to the Lan.  When set to automatically connect it behaves that way for a while.  Only after a while do both connections remain active.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 Thank you for the information. • Can you try installing the latest wireless driver on the system? Reference link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28687/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94150. o Please follow the wireless driver clean installation: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html • Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility • Steps to save the report: 1- Run the utility. 2- Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system. 3- Once the scan is complete click on “next”. 4- Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop. 5- To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner
Leo, I had a heck of a time getting rid of the Wireless driver. I followed your instructions for Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers but needed to do some additional steps to finally succeed such as removing Registry settings related to netwtw04. I then ran WiFi_21.0.0_Driver64_Win10.exe. It began installing but I don’t think it finished (see bottom of Word doc) and I can’t seem to get it installed now. Attached also is SSU Scan results.
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 Thank you for the update, unfortunately if could not find the SSU reported on you last post, can you re-attach it? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner

Sorry about that.  Here is ​the SSU and screen prints of my current status

0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 I would like to help you with the driver update by completing a remote session i ma going to sent you an e-mail confirm you contact information. By the way did you test if you have the same network connection behavior if the system is not connected to the docking station? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 Do you have any update on the behavior of your system? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner
Still waiting for my Laptop to be returned to me after re-imaging. I’ll check with them again tomorrow.
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 Keep us posted with the outcome. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 Do you have any updates? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner
I am supposed to get my Laptop back today (Wednesday 5/1)
0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner

Leonardo,

I got my re-imaged Lenovo laptop back this morning. I installed the ThunderBolt software and I downloaded the latest updates for the laptop via Microsoft Updates. I have the latest WiFi driver we spoke about (20.70.7.1) installed. I updated to the latest firmware and/or drivers available for the Laptop, Thunderbolt docking station, Ethernet, and WiFi. I ran another SSU report after all of this was done (see attached). I’ve connected and disconnected the LAN Ethernet cable several time and the WiFi connected and disconnected as desired. The problem occurs after its connected to the Lan for a while and the WiFi automatically fires back up. I am monitoring today to see if that happens.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 Thank you for the updates and for confirming the driver update on the system. Please let me know the outcome of the testing, could you also test the laptop without the docking station (connecting the Ethernet cable directly o the laptop)? NOTE: I am editing your post to delete personal information Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner
0 Kudos
TCoop4
Beginner
Leonardo, It appears our WiFi disconnect when attached to Lan is now working. I’ve been testing two days and is working as we desired when using the Thunderbolt docking station. The WiFi disconnects automatically (in a few seconds) when plugged into the docking station (with Ethernet Cable plugged in) and stays disconnected. The WiFi immediately enables when undocked. I do not have an Ethernet adapter that plugs directly into the Ethernet 2 port (where the docking station plugs into). I did test with a USB attached Ethernet adapter (ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter). When using the USB adapter the WiFi disconnects as desired but later enables again. I suspect that is because it is not directly attached to the internal Ethernet port. I also found that using the USB Ethernet causes the original problem to re-appear with the docking station unless I power off the laptop after testing. Then the laptop with docking station works as we would like it to again. That is not an issue for us as we do not use USB Ethernet adapters here. Shown below are settings, drivers, and firmware versions that we have in place to make this work. Lenovo Carbon X1 6th Gen with Thunderbolt Docking Station Bios settings: Network – Wireless Auto Disconnection - Enabled Thunderbolt ™ 3 – Security Level – No Security Network Provider Order: Microsoft Windows Network Citrix Single Sign-on Web Client Network Microsoft Remote Desktop Session Host Server Network Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th Generation System Firmware 1.37 – Driver 1.0.0.37 – Date 2/19/2019 Windows 10 Pro Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.437) Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 - Driver 20.70.7.1 – Date 2/12/2019 Intel® Ethernet Connection (4) l219-LM – Driver 12.18.8.4 – Date 10/4/2018 ThinkPad TBT 3 Dock Ethernet - Driver 10.30.116.2019 – Date 1/16/2019 Thank you for your assistance with this issue. Terry
0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello TCoop4 Thank you for the information. I am glad to hear that the system is working as you desire, if the behavior happens again we recommend contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) since this seems to be related to the system design. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos