Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

My Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz network adapter is not working properly on my Dell Inspiron 13 2-in-1.

I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling the driver; updated to the latest driver version (20.90.3.2)​, and read through numerous threads that discuss similar issues. I have spent too many hours to no avail. None of those troubleshooting recommendations have resolved my problem. This problem has been on and off again since JAN 2020. My most recent incident occurred about one week ago. When I use the "troubleshoot" feature, windows network diagnostics gives me the following:  "The Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems." Any help you can provide, please, would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted

Hello KMcCo7, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following information: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  
  • Use the paperclip icon to attach the report to the thread

2. What do you mean by "the network adapter is not working properly"? What are the symptoms of the issue? 

3. Are you having issues with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or both? 

4. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or di you change/install a new adapter recently? 

5. Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? If yes, did you make any hardware/software changes before it started to happen? 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Sebastian,

Thank you for your help. In answer to your questions:e SSU report.  S,

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello KMcCo7,  

Thank you for the information, we are still missing some important details, please provide the following: 

1. Do you see any error message on the Device Manager? If yes, please provide a screenshot.
  2. What do you mean by "the network adapter is not working properly"? What are the symptoms of the issue?  
  3. Are you having issues with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or both?  
  4. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or di you change/install a new adapter recently?  
  5. Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? If yes, did you make any hardware/software changes before it started to happen?  

Regards,  

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello KMcCo7,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I’m sorry - I had provided those answers but somehow they didn’t show up and my response was cut off.

1. Do you see any error message on the Device Manager? If yes, please provide a screenshot. YES, IT SAYS “The Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related problems." I will try to get a screen shot.
  2. What do you mean by "the network adapter is not working properly"? What are the symptoms of the issue?  SAME AS ABOVE - ITS NOT WORKING PER THE MESSAGE RECEIVED.
  3. Are you having issues with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or both?  WIFI. I HAVE NOT TRIED BLUETOOTH YET BECAUSE I HAVEN’T BEEN ABLE TO GET THE WIFI TO WORK.
  4. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or di you change/install a new adapter recently?  THIS IS THE ORIGINAL THAT CAME PRE-INSTALLED AND I HAVE NOT MADE ANY CHANGES OR INSTALLED ANYTHING NEW.
  5. Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? If yes, did you make any hardware/software changes before it started to happen? I DID HAVE A NORMAL CONNECTION INTERMITTENTLY BUT IT HAS NOT BEEN WORKING CONSISTENTLY SINCE THE LAST WINDOWS UPDATES. I HAVE NOT MADE ANY CONFIGURATION CHANGES OR HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CHANGES. THE ONLY THING THAT I HAVE DONE IS THE MICROSOFT WINDOWS UPDATES.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello KMcCo7, 

Thank you for your reply, please check our recommendations below: 

1. The error message that you receive shows that this can be either a software or hardware problem, since you mentioned you already read several threads trying different steps to get this fixed, you probably tried the following already: 

2. If all these steps were tested, it most likely could be a hardware issue, for further help with the hardware problems, I will highly recommend you check with your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) or maybe your reseller for warranty options.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

​Sebastian,

Thank you for your assistance. Yes, I did try those procedures. I tried them again, but nothing worked. I will work with DELL re: warranty options.

I am not interested in constantly reverting back to a previous version prior to when a Windows update was made for several reasons. Not only is it annoying to keep doing that, it also opens up my computer to significant security vulnerabilities.  I don't feel that I should have to do that in order to make the computer work properly.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

KMcCo7

Highlighted

Hello KMcCo7, 

The idea of rolling back to previous versions is just to make sure that maybe some Windows* updates could have caused the problem, but I understand that this process can be tedious. Based on that, it will be better to check warranty repair/replacement options with the manufacturer in case this is a hardware issue. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So this it's actually a common problem.  I have the same PC and same Wireless Card and i have tried everything under the sun to have this working back.  Why Intel don't do a recall and replace the wifi cards? It's frustrating to deal with this issue over and over again.  Some days work, some don't. You can't blame it on Windows Update, it's the wireless card!!!! Im a Control & Automation Engineer and i work a lot with Networking and PLC's, and this issue with the "Intel(R) Wi-Fi AX201 160MHz" not been able to connect it's the only problem i have not been able to solve haha! 

Intel, any help? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I don't think a recall will help anything, because after reading many posts here and seeing many common problems, I'm of the view that both yours and the OP's problems are unlikely to be hardware related.

The latest wireless drivers are likely the problem, and are a complete disaster.  They are very buggy and unstable - even the latest 21.120 release.  Earlier releases were more stable but had other nasty defects such as unable to see WPA3 SSIDs etc

A recall will just mean you get new hardware when I think the underlying problem is the software/drivers.  Which is a real shame because it seems that the hardware is very good and the wireless feature set is right at the top.  But without good drivers it doesn't matter how good the hardware is.

What would help everyone a lot is if Intel Support were to publish a list of known caveats with these cards and estimated timelines on when we may see updates/fixes/new drivers.

0 Kudos