Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

My Intel dual band wireless AC7265 does not communicate with router

NBoot1
Beginner

I have a home Wifi network with a TP-link router (TL-WR940N). I use an Asus laptop and with this laptop I can receive and send mail, and surf on the Internet. All this Internet traffic from this laptop and other devices in the network goes via the TP-link router.

A few days ago I have tried to install a wireless Canon printer which failed because the installation program could not detect the printer in the network. The printer was in fact connected in the network. I could ping it from the router. Next I discovered that my laptop does not comunicate properly with the router, because you cannot view the status of the router in Firefox, Chrome, Safari and Edge, using its IP address 192.168.1.1. Also, if I use the DOS prompt to ping the router on IP address 192.168.1.1 there is a general failure. Vice versa, if I ping from the router to the laptop there is the the same failure.

If I check the status of network card I see the following settings:

SSID:   TP-Boots

Protocol:   802.11n

Beveiligingstype:   WPA2-Personal

Netwerkband:   2,4 GHz

Netwerkkanaal:   1

IPv4-adres:   192.168.1.103

IPv4-DNS-servers:   192.168.1.1

Fabrikant:   Intel Corporation

Beschrijving:   Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Stuurprogrammaversie:   19.51.8.2

Fysiek adres (MAC):   A6-DB-7C-9E-3D-8F

Everything seems to be OK.

I have further tried restore possible corrupt files using the free repair program FixWin with which you should be able to fix(?) problems with TCP/IP protocol and DNS resolution. However this action had no result.

The situation now is that I can stil use the Internet, but communicate with other devices in my home network is not possible. I am at a loss which might cause this problem and how to reoair it.

Has someone a suggestion?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you perhaps connecting via a guest connection? This is what it sounds like. These connections are specifically designed to isolate the connected machine and only allow it to access the Internet (i.e. blocked from seeing local network).

...S

0 Kudos
NBoot1
Beginner
Hi Scott, No I am connecting as the main user with administrative rights. The problem is is of a recent date because as far as I remember not long ago I could connect tot he router, but not now.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am talking about a guest connection to the router. You said that you were able to connect to the router but then could only access Internet, not other systems on the subnet. That's the standard definition for what a guest connection can (and can't do).

...S

0 Kudos
NBoot1
Beginner
Good morning Scott, Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you mean. There is only one account on my PC (mine) with administrator status. Windows10 on my PC uses the standard settings, only for the private network is network detection active. Network detection (and file and printer sharing) is disabled in the guest and public networks. I have tried to activate this, but with the same result: surfing and sending mail is possible, but no contact with the router or any other device in the network. Could it be a setting in the router (although i haven’t changed anything)? Greetings, Nico
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This has nothing to do with the account that you use to logon to your PC and whether you have Administrator access or not. If you can connect to the router but use it only to access the Internet (i.e. you cannot see or communicate with other devices (PCs, Printers, etc.) on this network (subnet), then this is typically the result of only having Guest-level access to the router. You've tried accessing the router administration pages? Does it not "find" the router itself?

...S

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello NBoot1,

Thank you for the posting on the Intel Communities.

I would like to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation. 

0 Kudos
NBoot1
Beginner

Hello Abigail,

The situation is becoming more erratic. A few days ago, suddenly I could make contact with the router (and with the printer), without doing anything except for starting up the PC. Today, again without doing anything, I tried to print a Word document, which failed. After checking the situation it was clear that again, the PC cannot connect itself with the network. I am wrinting this message to you on the same PC and sending it via the same router. So the PC (in fact the network card) is in one way or the other able to communicate with the router to allow surfing and mailing, but not for connecting itself with other devices in the network. It seems magic to me :)

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello NBoot1,

Thank you for the response.

Since you have mentioned that the computer is able to go to the internet and communicate with the router but no with other devices, I would like to know if you have created your own local network in order to have devices connected within them?

Also, I would like to mention that for the specific issue with the printer, I would advise you to make sure that the drivers on your computer for the printer are up to date and everything has been correctly set up.

If you don't have your own LAN (Local Area Network) I would advise you to get in contact with Microsoft*, so they can advise you or provide you with the steps to perform this set up on your computer.

As well, I would recommend you to get in contact with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) of the printer in order to know what steps should be performed in order to have the printer working through wireless.

Based on the information that you have provided the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 is working fine in your ASUS* laptop, since it is not failing to connect to the Internet. Hence I would recommend you to check the following points:

• Check that the latest wireless driver is installed:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/83635/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-7265

Note: Intel recommends that end-users utilize driver updates provided by their system manufacturer/provider or via Windows Update to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, the use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended. 

• Check the Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html?_ga=2.172838560.2088738320.1563205649-428019472.1560282539

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
Abigail_G_Intel
Employee

Hello NBoot1,

Were you able to check the information on my previous post?

I would like to know if you need further assistance regarding your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.

Best Regards, 

Abigail G 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

NBoot1, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos