Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

My daughters computer is unable to connect to internet. Troubleshooting states The Intel Dual Band AC Wireless adapter is experiencing driver or hardware-related problems. How can we fix this?

BHann1
Beginner

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What dual band ac wireless adapter?

What operating system? What version?

What is the model number and manufacturer of your device?

Is this a laptop? If so, is there a (hard or soft) switch on the laptop to turn on and off the wireless?

Provide more information.

Doc

0 Kudos
BHann1
Beginner

Sorry AC 8265. Window 10. ASUS Q525U notebook.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you recently go through a major Windows 10 update (for example, from 1803 to 1809 or from 1809 to 1903)? If so, the graphics drivers are sometimes screwed up by the update. Use a process like this to try and recover:

1. Download the Bluetooth and Wireless packages from Asus or Intel sites and place them somewhere on your system drive (your desktop or downloads folder, for example). It is best if you use the packages that Asus has tested, but newer versions may be available in the Intel download center. If you want to try the packages from the Intel site, here are links: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28805/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=94150 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28794/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94150.
  2. Very important: Completely disconnect system from Internet. Unplug any Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless.
  3. Starting from the Apps and Features Settings scene, uninstall the existing Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages. Look for entries something like Intel Wireless Bluetooth and Intel PROSet/Wireless Software.
  4. Reboot (keeping Internet disconnected).
  5. Install the Bluetooth package you downloaded previously. Very important: install this first.
  6. If it asks for a reboot, tell it no.
  7. Install the Wireless package. Very important: install this second.
  8. If it asks for a reboot, say yes. If it doesn't ask, manually reboot.
  9. Reconnect Internet.
  10. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I still think the OP should check for the wireless switch being off. I have seen this too many times on laptops that have such a feature.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Agreed.

0 Kudos
BHann1
Beginner

My apologizes. I am on my own laptop asking for help, because my daughters laptop does not have any internet. there is no physical button to press to turn wireless on/off, as there is no enthernet plug to connect wired. There doesnt seem to be any other internet options she can use. I think I may need to purchase an adapter or take it in for service. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

One more thing to check - if there is no physical button, check to see if there is a soft (or touch sensitive) button. Usually indicated by the wireless icon. It may be illuminated when ON.

Other than that, follow Scott's instructions. From your laptop, download the drivers and put them on a usb stick, and use that on the other laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
BHann1
Beginner

well thanks. it worked for about a minute or two then lost connectivity again. think it may be the adapter itself.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If the laptop is still under warranty, I suggest you contact the vendor about this issue.

...S

0 Kudos