Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

My laptop will no longer connect to wifi after waking or being turned on. In order to connect to wifi, I need to restart my router. All of my other wifi devices are working without problems. Troubleshooting shows no problems with adapter. Help!

KPusk
Beginner

I've ensured that all drivers are up to date. I've disabled/enabled/disconnected/reconnected the wireless adapter. I followed several directions online to reset the adapter and fix my connectivity issues. This problem started two weeks ago out of the blue. My internet provider and router haven't changed for the past year. Ethernet connection to the router works perfectly.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KPusk,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, we would like to have some information about your system configuration.

• Please generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach it to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

• Did the Intel® Wireless Adapter come preinstalled in the computer?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
KPusk
Beginner
Dear Wanner, Thanks for your help. I've attached the results of the scan you requested. I've had this computer for a little over 2 years and the wireless adapter has not been changed. It's the original one that came with the computer and worked perfectly up until 2 weeks ago. I assume that the wireless adapter was pre-installed if it's been working for the last two years. I'm currently connected via ethernet. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KPusk,

It seems that the file was not attached to the thread. Try to use the clipboard icon displayed when writing your post.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
KPusk
Beginner
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @KPusk​ 

Reading the SSU report you have sent, I can see that your system is outdated: Bios and network drivers you should download from laptop OEM site. I hope that Bios and driver update will help, because if you search the SSU report for "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168" you will find many lines with "...the network adapter is not functioning properly".

Leon

0 Kudos
KPusk
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. I've updated BIOS and the network adapters. It did not fix the problem. Any other recommendations?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Seems to me that you didn't updated the WiFi adapter. I can see the same Driver Version:"19.51.27.1" while in the OEM site I can see WLAN driver 21.40.2.2 Rev.P . Could be that after update, your WiFi will work again.

Leon

0 Kudos
KPusk
Beginner

I learned that 19.51.27.1 is the latest driver version on the Intel driver page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/94854/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-3168

My laptop won't update to HP driver version. I've tried downloading it several times. The System Scan Utility shows that my laptop assessed but kept the 19.51.27.1 version. I decided to delete the wireless adapter and all associated drivers. When I reinstalled, my laptop installed the 19.51.24.3 version. I've tried to connect wifi several times throughout this process, but none of these steps have activated my wifi.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KPusk,

We recommend that follow these steps to clean install both the Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers.

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer support.

Software and drivers for HP Pavilion - 14-bk091st

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

Please let us know if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
KPusk
Beginner

I've followed the directions but it did not solve my issue. I deleted both as described, restarted my computer and then ran AS ADMINISTRATOR the two downloaded drivers (WLAN and bluetooth) from the HP website. Nothing. Neither device showed up in the device manager under Network Adapters.

I restarted my device. When I looked under device manager, both bluetooth and wireless adapters had reappeared, but the wireless adapter is 19.51.24.3, which is an old Intel version.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KPusk,

Thank you for your response.

We will look into this issue and update this thread soon.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KPusk,

Please try the following recommendations and let us know if the issue persists.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
KPusk
Beginner

I tried connecting to two open wifi networks near my house, but I didn't have any luck. The signal strength may have been a problem so I will take my laptop to work tomorrow to see if I can connect there. My laptop DOES connect to my phone's hotspot without any problem.

I double checked the recommended settings and all looks good.

*** UPDATE: My laptop was able to connect to the free wifi at work with no problem. I should note that my home wifi works fine for my ipad, old laptop, Google home, kindle and all my smart plugs. This laptop is the only one that won't connect to it automatically without restarting the router.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KPusk,

Thank you for your response.

Based on the troubleshooting performed, this could be a hardware issue. In this scenario, we recommend that you contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to check hardware.

If possible, contact the router/AP vendor and ask for a firmware update that may address this problem.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos