Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

My network card puts my PC into sleep mode whenever I use internet.

idata
Employee

Hello,

It's been a few weeks since my computer started going to sleep mode when I was using internet.

A few days ago, I went to a computer reparing guy, who said there was some issue with the card settings and the driver, putting the computer to sleep mode when i was using too much data.

So he "fixed it", YouTube and Facebook were working well, but twitch livestream kept putting my computer to sleep mode.

And now it's back to what it was

Before giving him my computer, I ran 3 antiviruses, and reseted it completly,

I've researched answers on internet, but I can't find anything related to my problem.

So i'm turning to you guys, hoping that you can help me.

My card is an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260, and the last last driver is installed : 19.50.1.6

My computer is a ASUS T302CHI, Windows 10.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello ArthurTrem,

We understand that you're experiencing forced sleep mode issues on your computer.

Did the technician mentioned why he links the wireless adapter to the issue? It might happen the other way around, where the computer turns off the wireless adapter or other devices in order to save power. Please check the power settings for your wireless adapter:

1- Right click on the battery icon at the taskbar and select Power Options (laptop) or open the Start Menu and search for "Power Options".

2- Click on Change plan settings for the current power plan.

3- Select Change advanced power settings.

4- Set the power saving mode on the Wireless Adapter Settings to "Maximum Performance" for both "On battery" and "Plugged in" modes and click Apply.

Also, in order to better assist you, we would like to gather some more information. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Intel® System Support Utility and share the resulting report with us.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello, thank you for your answer

He wasn't very specific, "Here I fixed it, there was some network card settings that were messing with the pilot' or Something, He said it was related to a big data usage.Ly

Already tried it, my settings were set to maximum performance for both "On battery" and "Plugged".

The report does say something is wrong my network card : "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly."

Thank you again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ArthurTrem,

Thanks for your reply.

The general settings for your wireless adapter are properly configured.

You're currently using the latest Intel generic driver. We recommend performing a clean installation of the wireless driver provided by your system OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer).

Here you can find detailed steps to clean install your wireless driver and the download link for the OEM driver:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

- https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/T302CHI/HelpDesk_Download/ ASUS T302CA (T302CHI)* Drivers

NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Please let us know the results.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

I have completed the whole procedure except my computer doesn't allow me to uninstall AND delete the driver.

I cannot select :

Delete the driver software for this device

I have tried to delete it using programs, but it did not work.

Also, I'm not quite sure which file from the package I downloaded is the driver... I was hoping the Intel PROSet/Wireless software would know. Apparently it doesn't. Or if it does, the procedure didn't work.

If you could give me some hints on how to delete the driver, I would appreciate it.

Thank you again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ArthurTrem,

When you try to remove Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software from programs and features and the driver from Device Manager, do you get any error messages?

If the driver provided by the OEM is not working for you, please install our https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html latest generic driver instead.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

Nope, I don't get any error. Also, I tried to reboot my computer in safe mode with networking activated, and my card wasn't connected. Error code 37. I don't know if that's relevant or not.

I've tried uninstalling it again, like it was explained in your last post, I was then able to watch a stream for 30 minutes, without any problem. I though the problem was fixed, but it went back to sleep mode again.

I also have tried installing the most recent driver from intel and Asus, but both were not able to fix the problem.

Could it be a "physical" problem with the card? Like over heat?

Unless you have other ideas, I'll probably bring my laptop back to the technician in a few days, and hope.

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ArthurTrem,

Thanks for your reply.

We haven't seen this behavior before, so it is quite possible that is not a configuration problem, but a hardware issue as you suggest.

A new wireless driver will be release soon, but we don't have a hard ETA for the release. You may wait to test that version to discard driver issues.

Another suggestion is to backup your files and perform a clean operating system installation. This will help you confirm if the problem is hardware related.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ArthurTrem,

The new driver release we mentioned before is now available. The latest version is 20.30.1 and can be downloaded here:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005559/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Download the Latest Driver for Your Intel® Wireless Adapter

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello.

That's very kind of you!

I send back my computer the technician, he said he couldn't fix it, and that I should send it back to asus while it was still under garantee.

Also now, with the new pilot, the screen just turns off a microsecond and light up again

It does bother me a little. So i might just send it back and hope they can fix it..

Thank you again!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ArthurTrem,

Thanks for the update.

We also believe that taking advantage of your system warranty is the best option at this point.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos