Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

NETw5s64.sys keeps on giving me bluescreens

idata
Employee

My new Clevo M570TU Montevina laptop has a Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN with the latest driver running on Windows 7 x64 (13.0.0.107). I get bluescreens several times a day. If I leave the laptop on when I go to sleep, I often will find that it has automatically restarted because of a BSoD sometime during the night. The stop error is 0x000000d1 and I believe the BSoD says DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL refering to NETw5s64.sys.

It seems the BSoD occurs a lot when utilizing the my WLAN connection a bit more than just surfing. That is running 3-4 torrents, streaming Internet radio and surfing at the same time. I use the newest uTorrent client which again uses the latest Java RE (1.8.5 and 6u17). I am at the moment not using any anti virus software.

In addition to the bluescreens, I often lose my WLAN connection. WLAN is however fine on my other laptops. In these cases I get the event ID 5010 referring to NETw5s64 in my in my Event Log. I resolve this issue by disabling and reenabling the WLAN card, but this is very annoying.

I'm starting to think that the driver is faulty, WLAN on Windows 7 x64 is unstable at the moment, or that maybe my WLAN adapter is faulty.

I ran MemTest on my laptop the whole last night without any errors. I am considering trying another torrent client.

Anybody else having these problems? Any tips is highly appreciated as I'm getting fed up.

Update: I've disabled 11n and power saving on the adapter, but it keeps on giving me bluescreens. A Google search shows that this is a common problem with these Intel adapters. It would really be nice if Intel would acknowledge and address these issues.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I apologize for this inconvenience. Please keep in mind the direct support for Intel® wireless adapters is through the computer manufacturer (O.E.M.) since they integrated the adapters in their systems. They will escalate the case to Intel® if necessary as part of a mutual pre-established agreement.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
144 Replies
idata
Employee

Mojoe,

Where can I download the latest driver? Cannot find it in the download section.

I am having the same issue. Keep getting BSOD with high speed internet download.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

latest version to date is still 13.1.1.

have you considered reinstalling windows 7, as in clean install? (just my 2 cents)

0 Kudos
JKing16
Beginner

I just got my Lenovo R500 directly out of the box. After one day of frequent BSOD I gave up and switched off WLAN. Clearly this is not a solution though.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I've this problem too. Any news on the driver update?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Still no news for a update??

I have almost daily a bsod and i'm getting pretty tired of this.

Tried several driver versions and nothing helps.

C'mon Intel, try to fix this problem and you will make a lot of people happy!!

System is aspire 7738g/w7 64bit/intel wifi 5100.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I agree! It's been far too long and the BSODs have continued. I've done everything that has been suggested by Intel. I've even opened a customer service case (3 months ago) as well as posting the BSOD minidump info here, but NOTHING has been done. I think Intel should at least provide a status update to let us know whether they're working on a new driver and when we can expect to get it. Or, they should provide some sort of workaround in the mean time.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I think we should go one step further. My collegue uses the same notebook as I and has no problem. That's why I think that the problem could be caused by some 3rd party tool...

So I suggest that we collect software we are using. Of coureces the tools that are running all the time and probably are not that standard and not well known to the public, are more likely to be the cause. I start with a brief list:

- launchy

- avira

- process hacker

- evernote

- agfeo tk-suite pro

- dexpot

- brother control center 3

Cheers

Manuel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thats a good idea.

There are two processes I am using too:

- avira

- brother control center 3

I'll try to turn them off while I'm using the WLAN that causes the bluescreens in the next days.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Some more:

- Acronis Backup and Recovery

- MySQL Server for development

- Xobni (there is a service that runs even when outlook is closed)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm using none of the 3rd party softwares you guys listed and I'm still getting BSOD when wifi is under heavy downloading.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm not running any of these services either, just your typically McAfee AV/Firewall etc.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

please give a list of software you are using... maybe there is something else I didn't list...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Today I tried to use that WLAN connection which kills my notebook usuallay after a while between 5 minutes and 3 hours of use. I turned off the "Brother Control Center 3" (and every other process made by Brother). It worked the whole day without bluescreens!

(While I was using the WLAN I consumed two high quality streams of Worldcup soccermatches, so the connection has been on permanent load for about 2 hours)

I will try again tomorrow.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hm, I do not have problems while using WLAN but usually when going to hibernation.

Can you test if the hibernate mode works for you? The Brother service runs all the time. I try shutting down the brother services before hibernate.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The bluescreen occurs for me when I go into hibernation (or sleep mode). If I'm lucky and it has successfully gone into hibernation, coming out of it also causes a bluescreen

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I think my BSOD problem was caused by the brother processes. There have been no bluescreens anymore in 10 hours of intense activity.

@manuelrenz

Sorry, I cannot use hibernation. My system doesn't wake up correctly. So I cannot test it.

The story is freaky: I have the same crashes like you since yesterday! I've got a black screen and the system has gone down without any message or minidump for two times! I think the notebook was getting too hot. As I restarted the system I noticed that the power button and the area around it was really hot. The crashes happened while I was doing some office stuff. There are no games installed on this notebook, but it's getting hotter and hotter.

Does anybody have an idea to solve that problem?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

May I recommend people in this thread each post a support request via http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783,1784

Perhaps then the issue may get highlighted better or maybe they will tell us where the "newer" drivers might be.

Just an idea.

idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Attempted to submit a technical request for this problem, got an email bounce back:

Hello: Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support. Please be aware that Intel has discontinued phone, email and fax support for certain Xircom(R) products. Intel will continue to have self-help web based information available. Please visit http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-007689.htm for the end of interactive support statements or go to http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-003261-prd38.htm to click on yor product and be taken to the online information at the web subsite which contains all the information still available on the product and links to all available software and drivers. For warranty replacement issues for any Xircom WIRED products, please follow the instructions at: http://support.intel.com/support/xc/shared/rmaform.htm. If you believe that you have received this message in error, please use the email form at http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/Welcome.asp being sure to fill in the exact product.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Have you contacted Lenovo for the driver? what is the wifi card model?

Intel has generic driver posted on their website, but not sure if this will work for yours. Go to their downloadcenter site

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

Choose wireless networking-> Intel Wifi product-> choose the model to locate the driver

idata
Employee

mashime wrote:

Have you contacted Lenovo for the driver? what is the wifi card model?

Intel has generic driver posted on their website, but not sure if this will work for yours. Go to their downloadcenter site

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx

Choose wireless networking-> Intel Wifi product-> choose the model to locate the driver

I have the latest Lenovo driver installed, which is 13.1.1.1. The Intel driver site does not have a newer driver available. Unfortunately this version is still prone to frequent blue screens. I am using a Lenovo SL410.

EDIT: Sorry, the Intel card is a WiFi Link 5100 AGN, for some reason I thought you asked what laptop model I had.

Message was edited by: jink

0 Kudos