Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

[NUC5CPYH] BIOS/Windows doesn't recognize Intel M.2 7265NGW Wifi Card

JSmit60
Beginner

Hello, I've tried two of these cards in this nuc since I thought the first one was defective but the bios doesn't recognize it and windows 7 x64 doesn't see it either. Bios says M.2 card not present when its installed. The nuc is updated to the latest bios. Thanks for your time!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Hello systemofadonut,

As far as I understand the M.2 port was designed for storage(PCI-e). At this point, I recommend contacting the so they can help you with this matter.

Regards,

Amy.

0 Kudos
JSmit60
Beginner

No, I was replacing the working but slower 1x1 Intel wireless ac card that previously occupied that slot and the antennas are routed to that spot.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Could you please be more specific about the issue?

Regards.

0 Kudos
JSmit60
Beginner

I bought a 2015 Intel NUC NUC5CPYH that came pre-installed with a Wireless-AC 3165 Wireless adapter in the M.2 slot. I updated the NUC bios to the latest version.

I noticed that the wireless performance wasn't that great due to the orignal wifi card only being a 1x1 AC Card, so I attempted to replace it twice with two separate 7265NGW 2x2 Wireless-AC cards in the same working slot that the original 3165 M.2 card was in.

The card wasn't being recognized at all in windows or the device manager so I went into the bios and saw that it reported the M.2 Slot unoccupied.

So, from all appearances the issue is with the NUC's bios not properly recognizing the card, even though it is listed as compatible with this NUC in the compatibility report that someone else on here linked me to. In the meantime, I've ordered a 7260 in hopes that the NUC will properly recognize that card. Hopefully Intel can update the NUC's bios to properly identify these cards in the future.

0 Kudos
JSmit60
Beginner

Yes, latest drivers installed>uninstalled>reinstalled. Device isn't visible in device manager with our without drivers installed.

0 Kudos
Amy_C_Intel
Employee

Separate Wireless-AC cards are handle by the Wireless community, I'm moving your post in order for them to assist you.

Regards.

0 Kudos
JSmit60
Beginner

I already posted over there. This is more of a nuc issue but I understand it's a complicated issue. I appreciate your effort though.

0 Kudos
JSmit60
Beginner

I thought I'd post a resolution in case anyone else has the same problem and this turns up in search. It turns out the Intel NUC I was dealing with was defective. I returned it for a replacement, and the replacement works perfectly. Any M.2 PCIe/USB card should work perfectly in this model NUC. If it doesn't there is something wrong with the NUC/bios/M2 slot and the whole thing should be replaced.

0 Kudos
Chris_V_Intel

Thank you systemofadonut (mmm donuts ) for letting us all know.

Also, just an FYI, if you don't update to at least BIOS 0053, the WIFI card will be locked to the Intel® AC-3165.

0 Kudos