Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

NUC6i5SYH WIFI Problem

HEsse
Beginner

I'm having massiv problems with WIFI. Its impossible to run HD or FullHD streams. In most cases its only SD or it switches for a short time to HD and then back again. On the same place a Lenovo T500 or W520 running without any problem.

Some Data from AVM Fritzbox 7490 - 2.4GHz

the NUC :

-max. mögliche Datenrate 144 / 144 Mbit/s

- aktuelle Datenrate 1 / 29 Mbit/s

the W520 :

- max. mögliche Datenrate 217 / 217 Mbit/s

- aktuelle Datenrate 51 / 29 Mbit/s

Streams interupts and are waiting for internet. Even usual use of internet is nearly impossible or needs too much time.

-Win10 pro

-BIOS 65

-all drivers uptodate

-Samsung M.2/120GB for System

-SSD 480GB Data

-8GB RAM

Hope there is a solution. Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Quadraturkreis,

We understand you're having performance issues with your wireless connection.

In order to better assist you, please share a report generated using the Intel® System Report Utility.

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your wireless network, select "everything" and run the scan.

3. Save and name the report, attach it to your reply.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
HEsse
Beginner

Thanks for your help.

As requested the scan of my System.

Kind regards

Q

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Quadraturkreis,

Thanks for the report. For some reason it seems to be missing some vital connection information.

Could you please also share a screenshot of the following:

1. Right click on the start menu, select Command Prompt (Admin) from the drop down.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show interface

3. Attach a screenshot of the output.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
HEsse
Beginner

Well here we are...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Quadraturkreis,

Looking at that last screenshot, we can see that even though your wireless router is 802.11ac capable, and your adapter is configured correctly for 802.11ac connectivity, your computer is currently connecting using the 802.11n (2007 legacy) standard. Your signal strength is also on the low side (80% on the SSU, 60% on the screenshot) which can also affect your effective transmit rates.

To begin, please adjust the settings on your router to make sure that it's using 802.11ac:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- https://assets.avm.de/files/docs/fritzbox/fritzbox-7490/fritzbox-7490_man_en_GB.pdf FRITZ!Box 7490* Manual - Page 107 (Advanced View > "WLAN / Radio Channel" > 802.11ac)

If possible, you may also want to make sure that your router is placed in a centralized location in order to increase it's wireless reach. However, if you're relatively close to your router already, you may want to check to make sure the internal antennas are properly connected to the adapter.

- https://www.lifewire.com/best-place-for-wireless-router-816570 The Best Place For Your Wireless Router - by lifewire.com

If the issue continues, please run the netsh wlan show interfaces command and share a new screenshot.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
HEsse
Beginner

Thank you very muich for the detail information.

I understand, you recommend to switch to 5GHz signal. The router ist set to switch between 802.11n and 802.11ac by itself. Did some changes but nothing had an impact to the WIFI regarding better signal. As the computers are behind a wall, the 5GHz signal is too low. Moving NUC right besite the Router or in the same room, of course no problem at all.

In order to get more information, I moved my desktop (Asus X99 deluxe II) at the same place and had not problems receiving FullHD video. The 2.4GHz signal is good enough to provide 3 FullHD videostreams w/o drops oder interruptions.

Due to the fact that three different computer works fine (at that place), it seems to me the WLAN Modul of that NUC isnt the best.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Quadraturkreis,

Not quite. While the 5 GHz band is generally less crowded and allows for wider channels, the 2.4 GHz band is still recommended if there are multiple obstacles (such as walls) between you and your router. The 2.4 GHz band also has more reach.

What we can definitely recommend is to work with your Internet service provided (ISP) or wireless router manufacturer to make sure you're connected using 802.11ac. It can also help to manually pick a wireless channel on your router settings and experiment a bit to see which works best (usually 1, 6, or 11).

Are you comfortable opening your NUC? It may be good to check and make sure that the internal wireless antennas are connected properly to the wireless adapter.

- https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/nuc-kits/NUC6i3SYH_NUC6i5SYH_IntegrationGuide01.pdf Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i5SYH Integration Guide

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
HEsse
Beginner

Thanks for your answer.

Did that all, switched router from automatic to manual and back again and uses different Channels. And of cource opened NUC to see if something went wrong. But all that changes nothing.

WIFI has a very strange behavior. If it is idle, it schows 2 or 3 signalbars, but as soon as open browser to get access to internet, it suddenly goes down to nothing. Which means browser is waiting. It then needs time to get 1 signalbar or more. But the stream doesnt get better .Sometimes it shows all signalbars, but streams are still interupted. After a while stream switches to HD or short time to FullHD but with lot interruptions. In Taskmanager its very obviously to see the WIFI signal goes down to ~300-400kbit/s and suddenly jumps up to 1 Mbit/s in order to go down again. Its not enough to get a stable stream. No one of my other computer suffers from that behavior.

From my understanding something is wrtong either the router (which I dont see) or with the WIFI modul of NUC.

Even late night, when nearly no other routersignal is shown, Streams are interrupted.

See the settings of router at the attachment.

First img is router setting. As you can see 802.11ac is enabled.

The 2. image shows a YT stream and shows also the maximum quality. More then 480p is impossible.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Quadraturkreis,

Looking at the screenshot from your router's settings, you've only enabled 802.11ac for the 5 GHz band. The 2.4 GHz band is set to 802.11b/g/n legacy mode. Is it possible to have both the 5 and 2.4 GHz bands set the same (as "802.11n+ac")?

Since you're not using the 5 GHz frequency, it's settings should be trivial.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
HEsse
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

no, the router cannot set to 802.11ac for 2,4Ghz. See img below.

But and thats a big but. After starting the NUC today, it has full power of WIFI, all signalbars are aktiv and I got FullHD. ???

Nothing has changed over night. How can that be ???

It was worse yesterday, the hole day and night. Startet a music stream (didnt done before) and as soom as I clicked a link in browser, the stream interruppted immediately, anytime, even after restarts.

And today it works perfect. Something is wrong with this NUC.

0 Kudos
HEsse
Beginner

From my point of view its either a hardware fault or a problem with the WIFI driver. The fact, that yesterday every stream was interrupted by browsing the internet, seems to me as a faulty System. And I assume that interruption was in before but not recognised by me.

0 Kudos
HEsse
Beginner

So it starts again.

Please see the img. For any reason after a couple of hours, WIFI drops down...

...5.png - as is was since starting NUC today

...4.png - suddenly that....

there are only 3 router recognised by Fritzbox

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Quadraturkreis,

I agree with you, unless there is a strong source of radio interference near your NUC, it's very possible that this is indeed a hardware issue.

Our next recommendation at this point is to engage your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html local support team for assistance in regards to this.

Please check your private messages.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos