Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

New/newer wireless drivers causing random disconnects from the network

TBake2
Beginner

Very often do I have to deal with my laptop disconnecting from the WiFi network because of the updated driver. It used to be (I believe) Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers (Windows 10 64-bit) 18.16.0 before, which had few to no issues at all. I checked the driver scanner a long time ago to update it and went to 18.20.0, and pretty quickly I noticed it had some problems. At random intervals, sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few minutes, and anywhere in between, it would disconnect from the network and either connect back immediately, or keep me out for several minutes at a time. That got VERY tiring VERY quickly, and when I checked back on the scanner in a few weeks time, instead of updating to a newer version, it was able to go back to the original 18.16.0, which I happily did, and there were no issues.

Now, after months and months, it was having some connection issues again, nothing as bad as last time, just a few instances here or there, but I decided I wouldn't wait around for it to just start mucking up like it did last time, and decided to update, but I suppose I was so far behind on schedule for them, it wouldn't let me, so I updated using the .exe for the driver from Intel's website to 18.30.0.9 to see if it would fix things, hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore since it was newer than 18.20.0, but the exact same thing is happening now.

Would love some help, and would be happy to answer any questions on the subject.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello Veilan,

We understand you are experiencing sporadic disconnection issues when you update your wireless drivers to the latest version. Our first recommendations in situations like that when your wireless adapter is the one installed by factory, your first step would be to contact your computer manufacturer: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support Websites in order to obtain the latest drivers as their drivers are specifically costomized in order to meet the requirements of your system.

We have recently released the generic driver version: 18.32.0 for the following adapters listed below which contains important fixes. You are welcome to try this new version if after you installing the OEM's latest driver version, you notice that the issue still persists.

• Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
  • Intel® Wireless-N 7260
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265
  • Intel® Wireless-N 7265
  • Intel® Tri-Band Wireless-AC 17265
  • Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260

If necessary you can proceed as followed:

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall " the current Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".

2. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Wireless Adapter and Uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".

3. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.

4. Reboot or scan for hardware changes, then uninstall and delete any older driver versions as you did for the Wireless adapter.

5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.

0 Kudos