Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Poor internet connection with my Intel Dual band wireless ac 3168

Caterham07
Beginner

Hello, I recently receive an X570 Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wifi with an Intel dual-band Wireless ac 3168 antenna. Everything was fine, ok but when I put the antenna to work, it doesn't get enough signal from my router that is 5 meters away from my computer. I've tried everything, clean installation with the latest drivers, restart the network devices to factory and nothing works, it only gets 1 bar from my main connection. I tried to turn on the hotspot of my phone and put it next to the antenna and that's the only case where I get all bars but, if I took the phone like 50cm away from the antenna, the signal drops to 1 bar.

I'll attach the .txt that the System Support Utility shows when I'm connected to the signal I want to connect.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Caterham07,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the following information:

• Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  • Have tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?
  • Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem?
  • What is the model number of your AP/router?
  • Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band?
  • Are other devices experiencing this issue?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Caterham07
Beginner

To answer what you require,

1. Yes, this happens to all the networks unless the network is just beside of the antenna (in this case, my hotspot from my cellphone).

2. I tried to roll back the driver and nothing changes.

3. I know it's a problem from this antenna because I had another antenna these days and that antenna gets all the signal from the network I wanted to connect to (I also tried to reboot the modem and nothing).

4. The modem is an Arris TG2482A capable of 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals 802.11ac.

5. The antenna is the only device with this issue.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This sure sounds like a broken wire in the antenna.

...S

0 Kudos
Caterham07
Beginner

That would be hard for me because I got this MOBO a few days ago brand new and I'm not from the USA to do a refund or anything like that.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you cannot use the storefront where you purchased it, you'll have to contact the motherboard manufacturer regarding this. While Intel built the WiFi module, it had nothing to do with the antenna you've been supplied with. Also note that, because the module came with the motherboard,  your warranty for this module is from the motherboard manufacturer, not Intel (Intel only provides the warranty in direct purchases), and you would also need to deal with the motherboard manufacturer if the module needs to be replaced.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
Caterham07
Beginner

I get what you say to me but, as I said before, I'm not in the country the MOBO was bought. If The problem is maybe related to software, I want to solve that. If that's not the problem, I'll need to search for a replacement for the antenna, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It's unclear to me whether there is any software issue (the report looks fine). To me, this looks more like a hardware issue than a software issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Caterham07
Beginner

Well, I'll be doomed to be the unluckiest person to buy a WIFI adapter then, because the Bluetooth works perfectly. But if that's the case, I can weld that cable and it should be problem solved.

0 Kudos