Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Problem installing bluetooth driver for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

DDary
Novice

I have been running 18.16.1. Today, I attempted to update to the latest version, which is 19.00.1621. The wifi driver was 18.40.0. It successfully updated to 18.40.4. When I tried to install the Bluetooth driver, there was an error.

This left the computer in an inconsistent state. You can see in add or remove programs that it shows both the previous and failed driver versions.

I attempted to repair, which also failed.

So now, what can I do? I can't repair the driver that was broken by the installation and I can't install the new driver.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello darylm,

As I understand, your system does not allow you to install the updated version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology.

There are a few things to check about this in order to determine the next actions.

- Is the Bluetooth adapter working?

- Are you using Windows* 7?

- Have you applied any recent changes of system updates?

In Windows* 7, we recently found that the update KB3161608 from Microsoft causes problems with Bluetooth* and also prevents the driver from being uninstalled/updated. If this is the case, you can uninstall the Windows* update then try removing the old driver again.

You can find more information about this in the following thread:

/thread/103579 https://communities.intel.com/thread/103579

JB
0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Thank you for the reply. The computer is running windows 7 enterprise 64 bit. I checked the update history and the update you referenced is installed. I did a system restore and returned the computer to the state it was in before I attempted to install the updated Bluetooth driver. I'll report back on the status of the adapter later.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Please let us know if the issue is resolved with the actions performed. Just make sure that the update KB3161608 is not installed, and that you hide it so it won't be applied automatically.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Has it been determined why the update and the driver interfere with each other? The issues fixed in the update seem unrelated to Bluetooth. I would hope intel and Microsoft can address whatever is causing the interference so users don't have to make a choice. My computer is updated centrally. I don't get asked which updates I want to install.

0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

I deinstalled the update and then deinstalled and reinstalled the driver. It worked. Is there a fix that will allow the driver and update to coexist?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello darylm,

I am glad to know the issue was resolved with our recommendations.

We have reported this condition to the proper resources and we expect it to be fully resolved soon; however, we have to keep in mind that Windows* updates are a Microsoft feature, and Intel does not have inherence in these updates.

Customers like yourself have confirmed that removing the update prevents this issue, so for now, the best option is applying the workaround.

JB
0 Kudos
DDary
Novice

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Understood that updates to windows are from Microsoft, but I think they are more likely to listen to someone from Intel than anyone else!

Cheers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello darylm,

We are doing what is within our reach in order to resolve this. Just keep in mind that the Windows* updates are from Microsoft, and any change to these will have to come from them.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We have not received any new post for this thread. To summarize, removing KB3161608 has been confirmed by many users as a viable workaround. You might also consider the option provided by GattoNero in a related thread:

/message/408202# 408202 https://communities.intel.com/message/408202# 408202
0 Kudos