Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Problem with AC 7260 - Bluetooth and Wireless don't work simultaneously

VSouz3
Beginner

Hello,

I have a MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 2PC equipped with a Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 on Windows 10 Home 64 Bits Version 1607 Build 14393.969 with Ubuntu 16.04 on Dual Boot and I noticed that the Bluetooth and Wifi adapters simply stopped working simultaneously. At first, the Bluetooth device disappeared for a few days probably after some Windows 10 update (I even got a blue screen when disconnecting my USB mouse after this update, but I can't rollback anymore - no system restore point was created and the latest update didn't solve the issue). The device adapter wouldn't even appear on Device Manager. Now the opposite is happening: the Wifi adapter disappeared and only the Bluetooth is working.

I went through every thread possible, updated the drivers to the latest version from Intel's Support Center, but I still had no success.

I noticed though that some network adapters called "Miniports" showed up after the Wifi adapter disappeared. Also, I noticed two Generic USB devices that are probably linked to the problem, since I tried uninstalling them and the Bluetooth device also disappeared and was re-detected by the system. I provided images below.

Finally, I managed to get the Wifi working for a few moments after plugging netcfg -d into the cmd.

The overall scenario changes after every reboot of the system without even changing anything.

I would really appreciate any help given and I can provide more system information as required.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello vamcs,

As we understand, the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth* controllers in your PC are showing unusual behavior. Here are some important items for your consideration:

- Does this happen when you switch OS's Windows <-> Ubuntu? If it does, you might want to review the following thread:

/thread/112230 Intel AC 8265: Booting from Linux to Windows results in non-functional Bluetooth

- Try using the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth* drivers from the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support. We strongly recommend removing the previous versions of the software and drivers before installing the new ones.

- Also check with MSI support to make sure you are using the most recent BIOS for your PC.

- Make sure to disconnect the Wired connection, as the Wireless adapter may be disabled and disappear if the PC is configured to do this.

For additional assistance we would need the following information:

- Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool in Windows* with the adapters working fine, and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options to add the resulting XML file to your post as an attachment.

- Was this adapter built from factory with your PC?

- Do you use any add-on or external wireless adapter?

Regards,

Jonathan B.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello vamcs,

As we understand, the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth* controllers in your PC are showing unusual behavior. Here are some important items for your consideration:

- Does this happen when you switch OS's Windows <-> Ubuntu? If it does, you might want to review the following thread:

/thread/112230 Intel AC 8265: Booting from Linux to Windows results in non-functional Bluetooth

- Try using the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth* drivers from the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support. We strongly recommend removing the previous versions of the software and drivers before installing the new ones.

- Also check with MSI support to make sure you are using the most recent BIOS for your PC.

- Make sure to disconnect the Wired connection, as the Wireless adapter may be disabled and disappear if the PC is configured to do this.

For additional assistance we would need the following information:

- Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool in Windows* with the adapters working fine, and use it to create a report with all sections, once the report is created, click on the "Next" button. In the following screen, save the report to a file. Then use the Advanced editor options to add the resulting XML file to your post as an attachment.

- Was this adapter built from factory with your PC?

- Do you use any add-on or external wireless adapter?

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
VSouz3
Beginner

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for the reply.

The behavior is similar for both Windows and Linux. The Wifi adapter stopped working and the Bluetooth continues operating, for now. It doesn't change after booting from one OS to the other, but I think it's worth the try having a look at the thread you mentioned.

I can try using the OEM drivers, but I don't think it'll be the best option.

I have already updated my BIOS to the last version available at MSI Support website.

Yes, I have disconnected the cable from my computer and no wireless network are available.

I ran the system support utility and attached the results to this post.

Yes, the adapter was built from factory with my laptop and I don't use any other wireless adapters than this network card.

EDIT: I skimmed through the thread you referred me to and after following the workaround mentioned I could "bypass" the problem by getting into my BIOS and logging into Linux afterwards, so both Bluetooth and Wifi worked. So the problem really is with the firmware compatibility between both OSes. I will look more carefully into that thread.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello vamcs,

The information you provided suggests that you are facing the issue reported in the other thread. The Wireless adapter was not shown in the log, but the rest of the information looked normal.

I would like to mention that our engineers are aware of this situation and they are looking into it. I will inform them about your report, however, I advise you to monitor the original thread as well, since that will probably be the first place to get updates about this.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos