Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Random Wifi Disconnection on my New ASUS Zenbook 11th Gen Intel

SurajPrabhu
Beginner

Hi

The WiFI on my laptop randomly disconnects and after a few seconds it reconnects. This is a big problem because I am regularly on Video calls [Zoom] and the WIFI disconnection means I get dropped off the meeting and must join again. This happens almost 6-8 times a day. 

To confirm it is a laptop issue, I used another laptop at my home and this issue does not occur on that laptop. I also had my ISP check the router and their connection and they tested it and confirmed all is good.
I did a little searching and checked the System Event Logs of Windows Event viewer and immediately checked when there was a disconnection. In the event viewer I noticed the below warning.
"6062 - Lso was triggered" -> Netwtw10.
This warning is there every time there is a disconnection. Attaching a screenshot of the Event Viewer logs.

Below are details of the software on my system. I have also attached the Intel SSU tool report.

Windows System info
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz, 2803 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends International, LLC. UX425EA.307, 25-05-2021
BaseBoard Product UX425EA
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1110"

WIFI:
Name [00000001] Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
Adapter Type Ethernet 802.3
Product Type Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A0F0&SUBSYS_00748086&REV_20\3&11583659&0&A3
Service Name Netwtw10.
Driver C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\NETWTW10.SYS (22.30.0.11, 5.06 MB (5,308,776 bytes), 24-01-2021 17:27)

I would greatly appreciate any help to fix this issue. I reached out to ASUS helpdesk but was not of much help.

Suraj

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @SurajPrabhu

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In case you haven't tried yet, we recommend first rebooting your router if it is always running (24/7). Sometimes, rebooting the router may help to solve connectivity issues. Also, check for objects/walls blocking a straight sight to the device or anything that may cause interference (e.g. wireless phones, microwaves, etc.).

Based on the Intel® System Support Utility report, we noticed that the Radio Type (IEEE Standard) that you are receiving is 802.11n; however, the Wireless Mode in the adapter is set to "802.11ax". If this is correct and your router is not AX compatible, we recommend changing this setting following these steps:

Access the Wireless Advanced Settings in Windows® 10

1. Right-click Start in the bottom left corner.
  2. Click Device Manager.
  3. Click the > sign to expand the Network adapters entry.
  4. Right-click the wireless adapter and click Properties.
  5. Click the Advanced tab to configure the advanced settings.
  6. Look for 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode
  7. Select HT mode or 802.11n

Otherwise, If your router supports newer standards like ac or ax, we recommend setting this properly in both: your router and the wireless advanced settings.

Also, Enable Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery (U-APSD Support) on the same Wireless Advanced Settings tab.

You may also review the below links for additional wireless settings and set them accordingly to your environment and router configuration. Please review based on the wireless standard and network band that you are using:

If the behavior persists, these are additional steps that you may try:

1- Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing > Change adapter settings. Right-click on the adapter in use > select Properties > Configure button > Power Management tab > uncheck the lower of the two boxes first, then the top one > Apply and OK.

2- Perform a clean installation of both the Wireless and Bluetooth drivers. Based on the Intel® SSU report, it seems the system is already running the latest customized wireless driver from ASUS* (22.30.0.11). However, it is recommended to try this first with the customized drivers from Asus:

2.1- Download and save to your computer the ASUS* drivers

• Intel Wireless Lan Driver Version V22.30.0.11
  • Intel BlueTooth driver Version V22.30.0.4

To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, we recommend first downloading and saving the driver installers in your computer, then disconnect the Internet.

2.2- Follow the next steps on this link for a Clean Installation of Wireless and Bluetooth Drivers. Install the Bluetooth driver first, and then the Wireless driver. 

2.3- If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest generic drivers from Intel:

1. Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Driver Version: 22.60.0 (Latest)
  2. Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (Gig+) Version: 22.60.0 (Latest)

Please report back the outcome and if the issue is solved or persists. After any clean installation, for testing purposes, you may reapply the recommended advanced settings suggested above.

3- The operating system (OS) seems outdated (version 19042). You may check for new updates and/or contact Microsoft* Support for assistance to update the OS.

If the issue still persists, please provide the following details:

1. A new full Intel® SSU report (please make sure to check the "Everything" checkbox to include third-party logs).
  2. We understand this is a new system. Is the issue happening since the first day that you have the computer or did it work fine before?
  3. If this worked fine before, do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?
  4. Have you tried a different network or another router or Access point for testing purposes? Maybe one that is AX compatible?
  5. For reference purposes, what is the Wireless Adapter model, wireless driver, and computer model of the other laptop that works fine?
  6. Router / Access point brand, model, and firmware version:
  7. Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you integrate/replace it?
  8. Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SurajPrabhu
Beginner

HI Andrew

Thank you for your detailed steps. Sorry for the delay in getting back as I was trying each steps and seeing if that fixed the issue and if it did not tried the next step.

Although after enabling -APSD Support it looked like the issue was resolved and things very smooth yesterday, today again the issue started occurring and  the disconnection was very frequent.

I have completed steps of clean install of ASUS drivers. I will try to do the Intel drivers too. One thing that I noticed is I dont face this problem when I am very close to the router say under 10 feet. But then my work area is a little far away about 18feet and a wall in between. My concern is also that this issue occurs not only with the 5GHz  but also 2.4ghz wifi.

I am attaching the latest SSU report with Everything attached.

Below are some answers to your questions:

1. A new full Intel® SSU report (please make sure to check the "Everything" checkbox to include third-party logs). -> Attached.
  2. We understand this is a new system. Is the issue happening since the first day that you have the computer or did it work fine before? ->It was all fine did not have this issue earlier. 
  3. If this worked fine before, do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update? Although not sure if it started after an Update as I had set Windows and ASUS  to auto update as soon as updates are available. It is possible it has happened after an update. But that said, the ASUS service center also did a clean reinstall of complete OS, but the issue persisted after that.
  4. Have you tried a different network or another router or Access point for testing purposes? Maybe one that is AX compatible? -> I tried on two routers.  1 - TP-Link AC1750 [about 4 years old, but has most recent firmware] and 2 - Router provided by my ISP - JIO.  Both these routers have only 2.4Ghz n and 5Ghz ac. Both do not have ax. I have not had a chance to test on a router with ax.  
  5. For reference purposes, what is the Wireless Adapter model, wireless driver, and computer model of the other laptop that works fine? -> Apple Mac Book Air [2013] and Apple Mac Book Pro [late 2013].
  6. Router / Access point brand, model, and firmware version: -> Reliance Jio:  Router Name: Reliance. Firmware Version: SRCMTF1_JCO4032_R2.15  Model JCO4032
  7. Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you integrate/replace it? Original, as it came preinstalled.
  8. Is this issue happening at home, office environment, or both? I have tried it from home. have not tried it at office as our office is now shut down due to covid.

Few other things I noticed today.

1. In addition to the  Event Viewer entry 6062 - Lso was triggered, there were 2 additional entries for WIFI

a.  Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.

b. Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.

2. Since it was disconnecting very often, today evening I enabled the WIFI Tethering/ Hotspot on my android phone [OnePlus 6] , connected it to the laptop and kept the phone right next to the laptop. During this session there was no disconnection or LSO error for over 4 hours I did not face any problem with WIFI.

Although not sure if useful, I have also attached the Export of the Events log.

Thank you again for your patience and help in this case.

Suraj

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SurajPrabhu

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SurajPrabhu

Thank you very much for your response and for all the details and reports, we really appreciate all your efforts.

We understand that you tried the clean installation with the ASUS* OEM drivers and many other steps, and you would try also the Intel® generic drivers.

We will investigate this further but before we move to that step, could you please confirm if (from the time of your last response) you were able to try the clean installation using the Intel® generic drivers? We do see the generic driver "22.60.0.6" in the new Intel® SSU report but we just want to make sure if the driver was installed using the clean install process or if it was just updated overwriting the ASUS* driver? If you haven't tried yet the clean install with the generic drivers, we recommend performing this test, and please provide us with the outcome of the process. Otherwise, if you already tried that please kindly just confirmed the process was followed and the issue persists.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SurajPrabhu

One more thing. Since you mentioned that when the computer is close to the network device (router or mobile hotspot) it seems to work better or more stable, could you please review the Power Management Settings for Intel® Wireless Adapters and if possible select and test with the option "Maximum Performance"?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SurajPrabhu

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous posts. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello SurajPrabhu

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If the problem persists, our final recommendation is to check this further with ASUS* Support to confirm that the drivers and the wireless cards are functional with your system and to review warranty availability if required, especially since this is a new system.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos