Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7441 Discussions

Really slow download speed with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

KDumu
Beginner

Hi there,

I am having some serious issue with the download speed on my HP laptop HP Probook 450 G4 with Intel Dual Bad Wireless- AC 8265. The download speed is really slow and its takes me several minutes to download small files like 10MB. When i download bigger files, it takes ages and really often the download fails at some point. The rate times the download is successful, the file is corrupt.

I can't even stream any videos at all. Even if i leave the video to load for a while, the streaming would have continue only for like 30 seconds of the videos and not load further.

I have updated with the latest software available on intel but the issue remain.

Grateful, if someone can help me out with this.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Download, run, and ATTACH (using the paperclip under the toolbar) the results of this utility:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Doc

0 Kudos
KDumu
Beginner

Hi Al,

Results of the utility are attached below.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KDumu,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities

• Are you still experiencing this behavior? if so please provide the following information
  • Is this the only device facing this behavior?
  • When did the issue start?
  • What is the speed when your laptop is wired connected?
  • What is the distance between the router and the laptop?
  • Is this the original wireless adapter that came installed on the computer?

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
KDumu
Beginner

Dear Adrian,

Yes i am still experiencing this problem. This has been on-going for a few months.

1. Yes , it is the only device with this problem. The rest of the devices connected to the WIFi are working fine
  2. The issues started around last year i think. I have made with streaming videos on my tablet but now since i am working from home, the slow download speed is a hindrance and with work soon going to put some online training up, but i will need it to work well.
  3. The download speed i got when wired connected was 19.69 Mbps with upload being 3.84 Mbps., ping 2 m/s. I tried downloading a file again with the wireless, around 30Mb took like 3 mins and tried streaming a small episode, the 1st min streamed quite fast then it slows down. When i pause it to let it stream more, after 5 min it has streamed like 30sec and won't stream more when i check again after 10mins.
  4. The distance from the router to laptop is around 5 m.
  5. Yes its the original wireless adapter that came with the laptop. It used to work fine when i bought it.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KDumu,

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please run a speed test so we can check the speed you are getting (Wireless)? and what should be the expected speed?

You might try the following:

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers 

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver from your computer manufacturer support. HP ProBook 450 G4 driver 21.80.2.1

Disconnect the computer form internet to avoid automatic driver installation by the operating system.

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver. 

• Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled. 
  • Go to Device Manager. 
  • Expand the Network Adapters category. 
  • Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it. 
  • Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device. 
  • Restart your computer. 

Step 3: Driver installation. 

• Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion. 

If the steps above do not work you might try to change some settings:

• Right-click Start in the bottom left corner.
  • Click Device Manager.
  • Click the > sign to expand the Network adapters entry.
  • Right-click the wireless adapter and click Properties.
  • Click the Advanced tab to configure the advanced settings.
  • You might try to change the channel width for 2.4/5GHz to 20 MHz depending on your channel band.

You can follow some recommended settings below:

Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

Make sure your system is up to date so you might try to update the BIOS as well since the current version is 01.06 and the latest version is 01.32. recommended to contact HP to get the appropriate steps to update the BIOS in case you do it.

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KDumu,

Were you able to check the previous post? 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel
Employee

Hello KDumu,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos