Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Recurring wifi problems with 2230 adaptor since upgrading to Windows 10

AW3
Beginner

I'm having identical problems with wifi adaptors on two different computers that have upgraded to Windows 10. The wireless network connection becomes "limited" every ten minutes or so and stops working. When this happens, an error is created in the event log which always includes the following text:

"The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file"

At this time, the Wifi switch on the computer becomes unresponsive. The only way to restore connectivity is by disabling the adaptor in the device manager and then re-enabling it. The connection will still malfunction ten minutes later however.

1) Connecting to a different wireless network, I get the same issue

2) One was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, one was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

3) They both have the latest drivers, and rolling back to an older driver provided by Intel does not correct the issue.

One of the adaptors is a 2230, which is supported for Windows 10. However, it is the one which has the problem most frequently.

Given that the only commonality between the two systems is that they're both running Intel wireless adaptors, it would seem to be an Intel problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Sockatume,

Is the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is supported by Windows*10 inbox driver version 15.16.0.2.

Our recommendation would be for you to contact your computer manufacturer if the adapter is installed by factory and see if they have any updates.

Here are some solutions that might help you as well resolving this issue:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-025332.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Resolving Wi-Fi Network Connection Issues

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-029893.htm Wireless Networking — Frequently Asked Questions - Wi-Fi

AW3
Beginner

Thank you for your response. The manufacturer directed me to use the inbox driver, or failing that, the 64-bit Windows 10 driver supplied on the Intel web site. That has not corrected the issue.

I am interested that the error messages it creates state

"The description for Event ID 5035 from source NETwNe64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP9

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file"

There is no NETwNe64.sys driver file on a Windows 10 system, before or after installation of the Intel driver package.

As a further symptom, earlier the adaptor became stuck in a loop where it created the following message in the Event Viewer every 5-6 seconds and became unresponsive:

"The network interface "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets.

Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset.

This network interface has reset 104 time(s) since it was last initialized."

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Sockatune,

Unfortunately the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is one of the adapters that are not compatible with Windows*10.

You are more than welcome to try the latest version (18.12.1) found in our Download Center but there is no guarantee it will work. here is the link to it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25224/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*

0 Kudos
AW3
Beginner

I don't understand, your previous message said that

"the Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 2230 is supported by Windows*10 inbox driver version 15.16.0.2."

Intel's own FAQ states that it's supported:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-035711.htm Intel® Wi-Fi Products — Which Intel® Wireless Adapters Work with Windows® 10?

However if I use the Windows 8.1 driver that it recommends it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Sockatume,

I am sorry if the message seems to be confused, but what I meant is that Windows*10 offers its inbox drivers for the wireless adapters that support this OS.

For the time being, the Window*8.1 drivers are the ones available. We recommend to contact the computer manufacturer for further assistance.

0 Kudos
AW3
Beginner

So, is the adaptor supported under Windows 10 or not? The Intel FAQ says it is.

Which driver should I use?

My device manufacturer sent me here for support because the wireless adaptor is supposed to be compatible with Windows 10.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Sockatume,

It should work with the Windows*10 inbox drivers. There aren't any drivers for this wireless card provided by Intel at this time.

You may consult with your computer manufacturer and Microsoft* to see if they have any solution available.

0 Kudos
CIde
Beginner

Hello Sockatume,

I found a solution for this problem. Windows disables the network adapter after a couple of minutes to save battery power and reactivation fails. The solution is: Open device manager and open the settings for the Intel Wireless 2230 network adapter - On the energy options tab disable the option that Windows can disable this device to save battery (I can't tell you the exact text because I have a german Windows version).

There is another option in the advances energy settings where you can set the wifi adapter to maximum power.

Greetings

Christian

AW3
Beginner

Hi Christian,

I'd tried this before and unfortunately it didn't help. However, by removing all VPN connections and reinstalling the wifi driver, I was able to get the adapter to start working properly again. There seems to be a conflict between these Intel adapters, Windows 10, and VPN connections. I'll try your fix if the issues recur though.

0 Kudos
lshaw2
Beginner

I have a similar problem... Really disappointing!

Since upgrading to Windows 10 - My wifi keeps dropping on a Lenovo Z500 Touch Idea Pad.

Microsoft service desk advised go to - device manager - network adapter - intel (r) centrino (r) wireless-n 2230 - disable and enable then download and install latest driver update i.e. 15.18.0.1, (presumably the latest windows 8.1 driver ) - then restart.

This failed to solve wifi dropping or limited connection. And/or Wi-Fi repeatedly switching itself off in - action centre - wifi - settings - network and internet.

Called Lenovo, who, surprised to find no intel - windows 10 - driver update available on their own support website, recommend immediately reverting to windows 8.1.

Have changed Network adapter power settings to stop - turning off this device to save power.

And increase maximum power to wifi network adapter in advanced power settings.

No joy - So interested to know -

Do I wait for intel to release a windows 10 compatible driver that will work (if they do) - or revert back to Windows 8.1 via recovery before the month offer to do so expires?

Thx Lharne

0 Kudos
AJohn20
Beginner

I have the same issue. Every minute, adapter get's reset. Intel should fix the issue since it was happening on 8, now on 8.1 and now on 10. Just hire descent software engineers and get it fixed and if can't stop the production of wifi cards. User's keep suffering because Intel is incompetent in providing good drivers for there own devices.

0 Kudos