Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7350 Discussions

Replacement for discontinued N7260 (WiFi connection drops after Windows 20H2 update)

VVP
Beginner

Dell Inspirion 17 7737 - 

555-BBJT : Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 726 0 802.11a/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + BT 4 .0 LE Half Mini Card
9VVTM CRD,WRLES,HMC,7260AGN,HF 2
GGJH5 LBL,REG,WRLES,7260 HMC,WW,CSMB 2

This card has been discontinued for support by Intel.  Saw in multiple boards that Windows 20H2 update breaks this driver.  Sometimes it will work for a few hours and drops internet connection. It will show connected for a few seconds/minutes and then it drops it too.  After it drops, it cannot search for any more signals.  You must reboot to make it connect again.

Can somebody please recommend an upgrade card (I have an AC router) card that can fit in the same slot as the current one?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution
2 Replies
VVP
Beginner

I checked a video from parts people on how to replace internal card. It was a little bit more complicated than I had expected.  So I rolled back my Win10 upgrade to 1909.  I did a few speed test (generic) with N7260 and also to my specific carrier.  

I then bought  "TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for PC (Archer T4U Plus)- AC1300Mbps Dual Band Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop with 2.4GHz/5GHz High Gain 5dBi Antennas, Supports Windows 10/8.1/8/7, Mac OS" from Amazon. Even though it may work the Microsoft Driver, I installed the TP-Link Driver from their website (they gave a CD too but the driver was older than the website).

Did the same speed tests with this USB 3.0 external WiFi card - Got pretty much the same results!  Disadvantage - if you move around a lot, you need to take this everywhere.  You could buy one of the other small dongle that stays with the laptop.  I pretty much use my laptop like a desktop so this was a perfect solution for me.

I have since upgraded Win10 to 20H2 and disabled my N7260. 

I also found a cheap Airlink 101 dongle from inside of my drawers (2.6 only) - I could use just in case if I have to go somewhere with the laptop.

0 Kudos