Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Setting Intel Wireless adapter connect to only one WiFi Access Point

Jon-xelex
New Contributor I

I want my computer connects to a specific WiFi Access Point (let's call WiFI AP A) and cannot connect to any other Wifi Access Point. In other word, my OS only show  WiFI AP A and not another WiFi Access Point. But I don't know how to set up this feature on Intel Wireless Adapter.

If anyone know how to setup this feature, please help me. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jon-xelex
New Contributor I

Thank for your response

I've found out that MSI does not support this feature and there is no tool can solve this problem. The closest is Windows 10 filter WiFi based on SSID feature, but it's only based on WiFi name

Anyway, thank for your support. I'm closing this thread.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jon-elex,

Your question is not exactly clear on what you are attempting to accomplish. Are you dealing with an environment where your PC is capable of connecting to multiple access points, but you only want a connection to a specific access point, in your example only A? Or do you mean that even though you are already connected to access point A, you do not want your PC to list other available access points that you could connect to but that you do not want to use? If you mean something entirely different, please add more information so we can understand what you are trying to achieve.

You do not mention what OS you are using. I will use Windows 10 as a working example. In the case that you have connected to several access points before, and have the correct passwords, but you don't want to use them now, you can use the Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi page to remove access points you no longer want to use. Click on the Manage known network option, and for each wireless network listed that you no longer want to use, click on it and then click Forget.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Jon-xele,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Are you trying to set up/configure your computer to connect only to a specific WiFi Access Point/router or your computer can only connect to a specific WiFi Access Point and not to the others?

2. Are you using a laptop? If so, provide the brand name and model number

3. Are you using a desktop computer? If so, provide the brand name and model number of your motherboard.

4. What is the brand name of your wireless adapter and its diver version?

5. What operating system and versions are you using?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Jon-xelex
New Contributor I

Hi DeividA, Hi Khun_Doug,

Thank you for replying my issue.

1. I am trying to set up my computer can only connect to a specific WiFi Access Point. In other word, I have a laptop/table, but if it's stolen by thief, then they will try to connect my computer to their WiFi AP to upload my data (of course they still can use USB, but let's say I already block USB port). I don't want that to occurs, so I want my computer can only connect to only pre-defined WiFi AP. To make it safer, I intend to filter based on BSSID of WiFi AP since BSSID of every WiFi AP is unique (SSID is not, because there can be multiple WiFi AP with same SSID)

2 & 3. I am currently using MSI Prestige 15 A10SC. 

4. My WiFi Driver is Intel AX201. Current Driver Version is 21.90.3.2

5. I am using Windows 10 20H2 OS Build 19042.804.

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jon-xelex,

I found the following webpage that explains how to do exactly what you are trying to accomplish. You will be able to add a permitted wireless SSID, and then apply a filter that blocks all other wireless access points from being listed. Here is the link: https://www.maketecheasier.com/block-wifi-network-windows10/

You may also want to consider adding BitLocker to make sure the hard-drive or SSD cannot be read if it is removed from the PC and put into another PC without your permission. There are other encryption tools such as VeraCrypt and Cryptomator that are tools for encrypting and guarding data.

0 Kudos
Jon-xelex
New Contributor I

Hello Khun_Doug,

Thank you for your response.

Actually, I tried your recommended approach before: apply a filter that block all other wireless access point with SSID. But there are many problems, SSID is not unique and we can change the SSID of Wifi access point. So I want to find some ways to filter WiFi AP, example using BSSID of Wifi access point to make a filter that block all other wireless access point, since BSSID is unique and BSSID of a device cannot be changed (or really hard to change).

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jon-xelex,

Now that I understand your question more thoroughly I had to do some researching. There is a saying that everyone should learn something new every day. You helped me reach my quota. For anyone that is reading and wants to know more about BSSID, here is link: https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/ssid-vs-bssid/td-p/1001487

In short, there is nothing that I could find that is built into Windows. In an ever more security aware world, this may be considered an oversight on behalf of Microsoft, and may be something they add in the future. As a Windows 10 Insider I do know that Microsoft is constantly adding features that people want. For example, I know that a pending feature update to Windows 10 will add support for DOH/DOT, i.e. encrypted DNS. If I can find a place to suggest the BSSID wireless feature, I will do so.

All that being said, I found several third party apps that display the BSSID and allow you to connect to a specific BSSID. In most scenarios I read, people wanted to connect to a specific AP in a mesh environment. One person was worried that a hotel with a wireless mesh had someone injecting their own AP so they could skim security data. In that scenario the user wanted to see the BSSID to be sure they were connecting to the hotel, and not a bogus AP.

Here is a link to one freeware I found that displays BSSID and allows you to connect to a specific AP. https://www.nirsoft.net/articles/connect-access-point-mac-address.html

There are other third party pieces of software, you will need to evaluate each and decide on using them based on your evaluation of the software. That really is beyond the scope of this forum. If you do find a third party software that is a good choice, please share it back as others may read this and find the info useful.

0 Kudos
Jon-xelex
New Contributor I

Khun_Doug,

Thank you for your response.

I tried to use software you recommended, but it's not that i want to find. This software you recommended helps me see details of Wifi Access points and even filter WiFi AP based on MAC Address. However, it doesn't prevent user from connecting to unwanted WiFi AP (I tried filter in WiFiInfo to only one WiFi AP, but Windows Network & Internet Settings still pick up other WiFi AP).

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello Jon-xelex,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Have contacted MSI to check if the option/feature can be set/configure at the BIOS?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Jon-xelex
New Contributor I

Thank for your response

I've found out that MSI does not support this feature and there is no tool can solve this problem. The closest is Windows 10 filter WiFi based on SSID feature, but it's only based on WiFi name

Anyway, thank for your support. I'm closing this thread.

0 Kudos