Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Silent installation of wireless drivers and PROSet version 15.0.0.75 on Windows XP

idata
Employee

Does anyone know where the admin guide for silent installation is for v15.0.0.75?

For v13.0 we used the following to install the components we did and did not want

Setup.exe /qn ADDLOCAL=WIFI_UI,WIFI_Troubleshooter,WIFI_Help,WIFI_SSO,WIFI_PLC WIRELESSRADIOBUTTON=FALSE MSZCFG=FALSE REBOOT=ReallySuppress

We need to exclude WiFi protected setup and include the others like above.

I have searched and searched and cannot find if there are any new instructions sets for v15.

Thanks,

Tracy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Tracy,

Thanks for the post. I'll go ahead and perform research on this topic if you don't mind, then I'll try to get in touch as soon as possible. Is that OK with you?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes - it is fine - the sooner the better :-) - Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Tracy,

Thanks for waiting, I was able to find some info that may be useful on command line execution for Ver 15.x

To install components on Ver 15.x, appending the ADDLOCAL on the command line or using the tag in the setup.xml is necessary, ie, Setup.exe ADDLOCAL=WIFI_Driver

Installing the driver by using the command line

WIFI_Software,WIFI_UI

Installing Wi-Fi software and UI using setup.xml:

WIFI_Software,WIFI_UI

Here's parent/child feature relationships and by default

• WIFI_Driver - Intel® WiFi Link Driver
  • WIFI_Software - Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software
  • WIFI_UI - Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility
  • WIFI_Simple_Config - Wi-Fi Protected Setup
  • WIFI_SSO - Single Sign On
  • WIFI_PLC - Pre-Logon Connect
  • WIFI_Troubleshooter - Intel® Wireless Troubleshooter
  • WIFI_Admin_Toolkit - Administrator Toolkit

Arguments interpreted by Setup.exe

( /qn, /qb, /qf)

Since Setup.exe is only doing a few actions, it only interprets the UI level commands.

Arguments passed on by Setup.exe to Microsoft Windows Installer

(/x, REBOOT, /qn, /qb, /qf, /L*v, WIRELESSRADIOBUTTON, etc.).

Setup will pass most of the other command lines it receives directly to the Windows Installer

Arguments interpreted by Microsoft Windows Installer (msiexec.exe)

(/i, /x, as well as the items listed in the above bullets).

Arguments that have a custom meaning in the product MSI

(i.e. WIRELESSRADIOBUTTON

For example, to silently install the default features, run:

MSIEXEC /i "\Intel PROSet Wireless.msi" /qn

Option/Parameter Meaning

• /qn - Silent installation -no dialogs are displayed.
  • /qb - Basic UI -dialogs are limited to simple progress meters and error prompts
  • /qf - Full UI -dialogs, error prompts. This is the default.
  • /x - Uninstall all features.
  • /L *v - Enables verbose logging to a file.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

This is answer enough - it would be nice to have a link to Intel complete administrative installation for PROSet v15.x. One that detailed out for instance the difference between "WIFI_Software" and "WIFI_UI". Also, if created SETUP.XML which switches go in which area, NativeMSI, AddlocalMSI, CustomMSI, etc.

Other useful information would be what are the MSI properties WIRELESSRADIOBUTTON and MSZCFG for? There are other MSI properties in the Windows Installer file that appear to be Intel configurable, but I cannot seem to find a guide with useful information.

Thanks!

Tracy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Tracy,

I will make sure your comment reaches the proper department for future consideration as this would be all the information available at the time for PROSet v15.x.

We at Intel appreciate your feedback in this matter. Hope my responses helps you as much as possible.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi -

Im trying to install a silent install with the Proset 15.X and the WIFI Connection Utility doest install completly. It seems that the "Intel Proset/Wireless Enterprise Software" doesnt get install and this is what i believe what it installs the "WiFI Connection Utility. Can anyone help silently install the WIFI COnnection Utility, i need this to be installed. This is what my command line looks like. I believe that the WIFI_UI should install this, but its not.

MSIEXEC /i "c:\install\Intel PROSet Wireless.msi" /qn ADDLOCAL=WIFI_Driver,WIFI_Software,WiFI_UI

Please help.

0 Kudos