Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Slow download speed on AC 8265

BJant
Beginner

Hello,

I've bought a new laptop (with Intel Wireless AC 8265) since last week and I experienced some issue on the internet connection of the laptop. Sometimes when the laptop connected to the internet, the entire network became suddenly slow for a period of time. And when I opened some programs, especially games (Overwatch, GTA V (online)), the entire network is significantly slow and with increasing ping and finally disconnected from the game server. But immediately when I closed the game, everything seems fine again. Moreover, the download speed of the laptop is considerably slower than my phone (also with 802.11ac dual band), but the upload speed are the same or even faster on my laptop. But watching even 4K video on Youtube didn't affect like those aforementioned games, even if it should affect more.

I followed a lot of threads in Intel community and also other communities (e.g. Microsoft) and saw a lot of workarounds but none of them worked for my case. The following are my attempts on this,

- Disabled RSC on the adapter (already undone because I believe that Windows released the patch for that and my laptop is already updated)

- Changed MTU from 1500 to 1400

- Changed in the advanced setting of network

-- Switch between VHT and HT mode but no difference

-- Lower roaming aggressiveness

-- Enabled/Disabled U-APSD support

-- Uninstalled Intel PROSet driver and installed from Lenovo website (my laptop is Lenovo E470)

I also attached the log from Intel SSU.

Note: my previous 4-year-old laptop was able to run those games very well without internet problem

Best regards

0 Kudos
21 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello marciano09,

We understand you're experiencing low connection speeds on your new laptop using an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

Looking at your SSU report we noticed that your connection rate is indeed very low. But based on your description of the issue, you may also be having Quality of Service (QoS) issues from your router's end.

In order to get a better picture of your environment, we'd also like to know the following:

- What is the brand and model of your wireless router or access point?

- Do you know if it's running the latest firmware available?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BJant
Beginner

Thank you for your reply, Carlos.

the router is Dlink DIR-615 (HW ver D3) with firmware 4.14. The latest version is 4.14b03 (http://www.dlink.com/de/de/support/product/dir-615-wireless-n-300-router?revision=de_revd# downloads DIR-615 Wireless N 300 Router - D-Link Deutschland ).

More note, when I ran speed test using speedtest.com using identical server, my phone always outperformed my laptop in term of download speed (25 Mbps vs 10~11 Mbps) but upload speed and ping are almost identical on both.

Best regards

edit: If I tethering WiFi from my phone using USB, those games are able to run without any problem and didn't slow down the network

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello marciano09,

Thank you for this information.

Please toggle (enable if disabled, and vice versa) the following settings on your router's management interface, preferably one at a time in order to identify which ones help:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

- http://www.dlink.com/it/it/-/media/consumer_products/dir/dir-615/manual/dir-615_q1_manual_v17_00_eu.pdf D-Link Dir-615* User Manual.

- 802.11 Mode: Set to 802.11n Only (Page 23)

- Enable QoS Engine (Page 32)

- WMM Enable (Page 40)

If there are no improvements, please share a new SSU report.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BJant
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I tried to toggle 802.11 Mode to 802.11n only and QoS mode but unfortunately it didn't help. The checkbox for WMM is grayed out and enabled by default.

Best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello marciano09,

We believe that you're experiencing two separate issues. Although they both seem to be router issues.

Your adapter cannot control or affect other devices on your network. If your WiFi as a whole slows down, it's because of the way that your router is choosing to distribute it's available bandwidth. Each device simply takes as much bandwidth as it's alloted.

Your download speeds on the other hand, may also be router related, however we cannot guarantee this entire. Allow me to explain.

When we review your SSU report, we take a look at your current connection rate. This is the speed at which your adapter is communicating with your router or wireless access point. You're currently achieving only 90 Mbps with a signal strenght of 60%. This number is usually greater than your download speed, as it accounts for all the network overhead such as encryption, routing, etc.

Connecting to a legacy Wireless-N (802.11n) network, your adapter is capable of a connection rate of 300 Mbps. If your router was a Wireless-AC model (802.11ac), your adapter would be able to reach a maximum connection rate of 867 Mbps. Regardless, 90 Mbps is quite low.

This connection rate may be caused by your low signal strenght, wireless interference, or (less likely), wireless antenna issues such as your laptop having a loose internal antenna connector. Since you didn't experience the same issues when connecting to your phone's hotspot tethering, our main recommendation is to move your router to a more centralized location, consider a different router model, or to add WiFi extenders to your network. We cannot see any changes that may currently need adjusting.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BJant
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for your help. I have just one question regarding what you explained. If it's as you said about bandwidth problem, why when I tethering Internet via USB from the phone which connects to the same problematic network/router has absolutely no problem using those programs/games, comparing to my laptop connecting with that router directly? Shouldn't it have the same bandwidth problem?

Best regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello marciano09,

Technically, yes. Routers "discriminate" one connection over the other based on their own algorithms, which usually look at the type of data being downloaded. For example, most routers with QoS abilities will give bandwidth priority to a computer streaming videos over one browsing social media websites.

It's possible that when you're sharing your connection, the router is no longer able to identify what you're downloading the same way, or it falls under a different rule.

Bit of a side note: remember that Windows® 10 runs system updates silently in the background. This will also add to the low download speeds issue. Until you've made it to the latest OS build, you may be "sharing" your connection with Windows* Updates and not realize it.

Is it possible for you to test this computer on an entirely different network to see if the same issues follow you? This may be a good way to confirm our theory.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BJant
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I've just tried with different network and everything works completely fine. It seems like the problem between this new laptop and the router at my home now because my old laptop didn't have this problem when playing those games .

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello marciano09,

We're glad to have been able to help you pinpoint the source of the issue.

If there's anything else we can help you with, don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
PAleg
Beginner

I recently bought a Gigabyte AERO 15 which unfortunately has an AC 8265 and I can confirm that it is slower than any other device I ever tested. I tried with 3 different routers and compared with 3 old laptops and my old desktop with a TPLINK usb wifi and the AERO 15 with the AC 8265 performs always insanely slower. I tried lots and lots of drivers and it's always slow. When I get close to 20Mbps on my phone, through AC 8265 I hardly get more than 6Mbps.

I'm not sure if it is a driver problem on AC 8265 or if it is just bad, but i'd really love to find a way to have an usable wifi on my laptop.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Paulgi,

We understand you recently purchased a laptop featuring the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265, but you're experiencing low download speeds.

In order to better address this issue, we would like to take a look at your current settings. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Intel® System Support Utility. While connected to your wireless network, select to scan "everything." You will then be able to save the report and manually upload it with your reply.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Paulgi,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Have you been able to resolve this issue?

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KDay2
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same exact issue. I found this post searching for why the 8265 is so slow.

I have a new Dell laptop (for about 6 months now) and where I normally get 100+ Mb download speed, i'm now getting 20-22 consistently... and only from this laptop.

I work in networking and I have tested this from home, office, friends house using my new laptop and old Dell... and using fast.com, and speedtest... all places have far higher bandwidth with my older laptop and from my IPAD (100+).

For sure this is an issue with this laptop's card, and looks to be the same as the other posts here.

Thanks in advance for your help

Kevin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello falcryn,

In order to better assist you, please provide us with the following:

- Please generate an Intel® System Support Utility report as well.

1. Please download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.

2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network (if possible).

3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KDay2
Beginner

Scan completed. Can you please delete this from the post (or let me know when I can delete it)... not a great method for sharing system information

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello falcryn,

Thank you for this report. I've deleted it from your post as requested.

Based on this, we noticed the following:

1. You're currently using PROSet/Wireless Software Version 19.50.1, the current version is 20.10.2.

2. You're connected to the internet through a VPN (Endpoint VPN Client*), this may result in decreased throughput (slower connection).

3. Your Bluetooth® module is enabled but using the OS provided generic drivers, which may possibly produce some interference issues if you're using the 2.4GHz wireless band.

Since you have a VPN connection active, we did not receive any connection speed information for your wireless adapter. However, we can make the following suggestions as a starting point:

1. Disconnect from, or disable, your VPN software. Without it, test your download speed. If this resolves the problem, contact your VPN Software vendor for support.

2. Update to the latest drivers.

1. Wireless: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10

2. Bluetooth®: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27195 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10

If this does not help, please share another SSU. In order to get all the information we would like, please generate this report without any VPN and while connected to WiFi.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello falcryn,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Please let us know if you would like to continue troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KBahn
Beginner

I am seemingly having issues with the card. I am only getting minimal download speeds on the WiFi connection, upload speeds stay consistent. When connected to the router via ethernet cable, I have no issues with download speeds.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello kbsooner,

We understand you're experiencing low download speeds when connecting to the internet via wireless.

Since you're able to receive your expected download speeds when connecting via Ethernet, we can safely discard issues with your Internet service itself.

After reviewing the report provided, we noticed that your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is already communicating with your wireless router at the maximum connection rate possible of 866.7 Mbps. This means the issue is not being caused by the wireless adapter or it's drivers. It's possible that you may have either too many devices connected wirelessly to your network, lowering your actual throughput. Or that your router may be giving this computer a low priority resulting in a small allotted share of it's total available bandwidth.

You may confirm this connection rate by opening a Command Prompt and running the following command: netsh wlan show interface

- https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2014/06/throughput-stupid/ https://blogs.intel.com/technology/2014/06/throughput-stupid/

In this case, we can recommend troubleshooting your wireless router settings. Your router manufacturer or Internet Service Provider may be able to walk you through your exact settings, as these can be named differently depending on you router's brand and model, the following articles may also help:

- https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/ https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

- https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/media-access-control-priority-settings https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/media-access-control-priority-settings

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
KBahn
Beginner

Thanks for the info. ATT is sending a new router just in case, so potentially that will solve it. Will report back when up and running.

0 Kudos