Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7352 Discussions

Slow internet speed with Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz

Webgigo
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I´ve just bought a new laptop with wifi card mentioned above. And I saw that my internet speed is much slower than on my 5 year old laptop (measured with speedtest.net). I tried to connect to mobile hotspot and it worked fine.  The speed was same on both laptops. I tried to switch on to 802.11ac protocol, but the speed remained same.

Driver version: 22.0.0.6

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you happen to upgrade Windows 10 during this process? If you upgraded to 2004 especially or upgraded to 20H2, this could result in the solution having mixed drivers. In this case, you need to do a clean WLAN install. Here is the proper process for doing so:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29902 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29919.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings". 
  5. Manually reboot your computer.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmarking) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

Webgigo
Beginner

Thanks for your time and help. But unfortunately every time I deleted the driver (checked that box) and rebooted my pc it has appeared again in device managers. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That means that you never (effectively) disabled Internet access when you were told to or you re-enabled  Internet access before you were told to. Follow the instructions exactly.

...S

0 Kudos
Webgigo
Beginner

I turned off wifi and disabled the wifi driver. That´s all i can do.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yes, that's why I included 'effectively'. You aren't disabling it such that it stays disabled throughout the whole process.

...S

0 Kudos
Webgigo
Beginner

But what are the other ways to disable wifi? I can´t disable it with keypad shortcut, also I don´t have another button to switch it of or on.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If you are in your home, easiest way is to just power off your router for the duration -- but only after downloading the latest packages.

Alternative is to click on Notifications button on the extreme right end of the Taskbar and then on the Wi-Fi button to disable it.

...S

0 Kudos