Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Slow speeds with Wireless N 7260 after update.

AKeyz
Beginner

I have a 60Mbps connection at home and with the 7260 card I used to get up to 56Mbps through my laptop but since driver version 16.6.0.8 I can only ever get a maximum of 25Mbps. Nothing else has changed, I use all the same settings and even tried newer beta drivers. I have rolled back to 16.5.3.6 as this was the last driver that would provide the correct speeds however this driver suffers from drop outs and every few hours I have to switch the wifi card off and on again as it drops to a few Kbps.

Can anyone please help?!intspeed

0 Kudos
64 Replies
TBhar1
Beginner

yes. I think intel needs to reboot its company. Haswell should be named Hassel . any ways back to the topic Mr. Barto your new drivers are a fail too.

one computer 100mbps lan dlink switch and intel mobo. c2d. wireless router Linksys and tplink n series. laptop dell 7000 15" wifi 7260.

2gb movie copy on lan. with new drivers connection showed is 300 mbps as soon as you copy it shows 160mbps. max speed 7 to 8 mbps.

disabling u-apsd same procedure get you to 12 mbps copy speed. and as soon as all is copied the lan shows 300 mbps connected lol

so intel is tweaking the driver to the defective chips. very intel-ligent ..

1.7.0.5 drivers.

0 Kudos
jms
Beginner

I'd be happy with a driver right now that they could just make STABLE! I can deal with the slower speeds but turning on my laptop and having to disable and enable my wireless card to have it work is disappointing to say the least.Have to disable 3 things to get it to work with the current driver.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are interested on getting more information about the specific scenarios where issues persist after installing latest drivers. I hope most of you can provide some details:

1. Does the issue occur in 2.4 or 5 GHz?
  2. What is your operating system?
  3. Where is the issue happening? Is it happening only at home or across different networks?
  4. How many APs or wireless networks are broadcasting in your area?
  5. Does the issue occur when doing some specific actions, such as copying files, streaming, or gaming?
  6. Is the issue affected by disabling Bluetooth*, uAPSD, or HT mode?
  7. What is the brand of your system?
  8. Was the Intel® wireless adapter installed by the system manufacturer?
0 Kudos
jms
Beginner
  1. I have only ever tried my card on the 2.4ghz range
  2. Im running windows 8.1 pro but have used it as well on 8.1 core edition
  3. The problems with the card have happened one different networks from centurylink routers to Comcast ones.
  4. 3 other wireless networks in my area.
  5. This problem has happened with gaming but mostly general internet use.
  6. For me, I have disabled all 3 of those in order keep my wireless connection stable. It still likes to turn itself off sometimes when I turn on the laptop.
  7. Dell inspirion 15 7000 series laptop
  8. Yes
0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner
  • Does the issue occur in 2.4 or 5 GHz? |||||||||| 2.4ghz

• What is your operating system? ||||||||| win 8.1 core

• Where is the issue happening? Is it happening only at home or across different networks? |||||||| Across Different Networks. Nseriers routers Tplink 2.4ghz single band, Linksys 2.4ghz single band. Tplink connected to 2.4ghs dualband ........etc etc

• How many APs or wireless networks are broadcasting in your area? |||||||| (home secnario 4 Aps are transmitting and all on different channels all 2.4ghz ) (office 1 Ap no other around)

• Does the issue occur when doing some specific actions, such as copying files, streaming, or gaming? |||||||| Happens with all...

• Is the issue affected by disabling Bluetooth*, uAPSD, or HT mode? |||||||| with Bluetooth on start copying a file from wired lan of 100mbps. say a 2 gb file. will start at 4mbps and stay there now pause the copy and disable Bluetooth. Now the speed goes up to 7mbps. pause again and now disable uAPSD... and now the speed goes to 10 to 11 mbps. well ht mode drops it to worse and there is occasional web page alert this page cannot be displayed and have to refresh the page.(this refresh page is not happening if I disable wireless and use lan wire).

• What is the brand of your system? |||||||| Dell Inspiron 15 7000.

• Was the Intel® wireless adapter installed by the system manufacturer? |||||||| Yes. tried all their drivers , Same issues.
0 Kudos
MBart6
Beginner
  1. Does the issue occur in 2.4 or 5 GHz? Problems only with 2.4.(must disable u-apsd) When connect at 5 GHz the internet is ok (60/6 Mb/s)
  2. What is your operating system? 8.1 Pro update 1
  3. Where is the issue happening? Is it happening only at home or across different networks? I tried only at home
  4. How many APs or wireless networks are broadcasting in your area? About 15 x 2,4 ghz. and 3 x 5GHz
  5. Does the issue occur when doing some specific actions, such as copying files, streaming, or gaming? At various activities and protocols
  6. Is the issue affected by disabling Bluetooth*, uAPSD, or HT mode? I just turned off uAPSD - very much improved, there are almost no disconnection
  7. What is the brand of your system? Dell 7537
  8. Was the Intel® wireless adapter installed by the system manufacturer? Yes
0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you very much for the information.

It has become evident the symptoms are mostly affecting 2.4GHz in Windows* 8.1 and also many DELL systems. I am not sure how many of you have a dual band router; perhaps it will be a better option to use 5 GHz while we work on the next driver release.

0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner

its not dells only. I have read many posts online with other manufacturer's and if I buy a new 7260 card non oem ones then same problem occurs. this started with your 6 series and still lingering on. have you tried talking to the hardware team to isolate the interference. between the 2.4ghz section and 5 ghz section and Bluetooth section. in my brain it is logical that the chip has these three sections integrated and printed on one wafer. Any ways I have used this with 5 ghz dual routers connected to 5ghz ,,, it works fine at 5 and not at 2.4. so yes the problem is 2.4.

must disable u-apsd and disable Bluetooth to get stable speed.

main question to intel

is there a revision of 7260 chip which has more of these problems. how do we identify them and get them replaced from dell or Lenovo or whatever. this question is important for wellbeing of intels reputation. if they can honestly tell us then we can stop wasting out time having discussions here and doing the diagnostics for intel. we are not employees of intel.

I am sure you are having group discussion's time to time. Convey my message to all working on this project. (( You all guys are lazy to do the job right the first time around)).

0 Kudos
MPang
Beginner

Well, I have not even bothered to try any new drivers as I have given up on Intel 7260N and lost faith with Intel's support on this forum. On more than one occasion, I had asked for answers because this would determine if it would be worthwhile in waiting for any possible future solutions. Since it appears I have been totally ignored (yes, Joe I refer to you and if you did not know the answers to my questions, then say you do not know rather than unceremoniously ignoring me here and in PM messages), I have ditched the internal 7260N card and currently using Ethernet via USB. I am waiting for a 7260 AC upgrade, despite my reluctance to continue with Intel (due to the BIOS mandates).

I hope you all can continue to put pressure on Intel and prove me wrong in giving up on them at this stage.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

@BigT, I said many DELL* systems, I did not say "only", I am aware it happens with other brands. Regarding to your question, the best option will be to ask the system manufacturer since they provide the warranty.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Manics3746, I have previously reported your case but we really need you to try with the latest driver 17.0.5.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software downloads

0 Kudos
CT1
Beginner

Hello guys,

2 days ago i've purchased a brand new desktop with Gigabyte's z97n-gaming 5 mobo with windows 8.1.1 x64. It's equipped with Intel Dual Band Wirelles AC 7260.

I'm seeing two major issues with it:

1) speed with newest driver

7260 driver ver.16.5.3.6

7260 driver ver. 17.0.5.8

2) when bluetooth is enabled wifi is working even slower....

I'm using 2.4Ghz N router.

Is there anything i can do beside downgrading the driver and disabling BT? Will buying 5Ghz router will solve this issue?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner

just disable uAPSD.

yes 5ghz will solve your problem.

I have tested with many 5ghz and I think the dominant chip in this is 5ghz. that's why it works fine with 5ghz.

I have not worked for long times on 5 ghz because I don't

own one.

I don't own one because of the low range of 5ghz.

just google the penetration point of 2.4 v/s 5ghz

The GHz range of a wireless radio only partially relates to the speed of a wireless network. For example, http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/g/bldef_80211a.htm 802.11a http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/g/bldef_wifi.htm Wi-Fi hardware runs at 5 GHz but supports the same maximum data rate of 54 http://compnetworking.about.com/od/speedtests/g/kbps-mbps-gbps-network-bit-rates.htm Mbps as standard http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wireless80211/g/bldef_80211g.htm 802.11g network that run at 2.4 GHz.

A 5 GHz network can carry more data than a 2.4 GHz network assuming the electric power to the higher frequency radios is maintained at a higher level. However, some 802.11g network products match and even exceed this potential speed advantage of 5 GHz 802.11a by utilizing a pair of radios instead of one, increasing capacity up to 108 Mbps under the right conditions.

The higher the frequency of a wireless signal, the shorter its range. Thus, 2.4 GHz networks cover a substantially larger range than 5 GHz wireless networks. In particular, the higher frequency wireless signals of 5 GHz networks do not penetrate solid objects nearly as well as do 2.4 GHz signals, limiting their reach inside homes.

So really your home conditions of office conditions depend.

but currently disabling

uAPSD. will work. and make sure your turn off the power management for this device.

I am not happy with the speeds but what else to do.

intel should gift 5 ghz routers to all customers who buy their products ,,, problem solved

0 Kudos
CT1
Beginner

option that you're talking about is available in the newer driver. i'm still getting better dl/up rates on older driver - even after disabling uAPSD in the never one.

0 Kudos
PWile
Beginner

I have similar issues with this the N7260 on my Dell Inspiron 7000 (W8.1). Speeds drop to single figures after a few minutes. Updated to the latest driver a couple of days ago and it seemed to fix the speed problem but now when connecting for the first time it doesn't recognise any WIFI connections at all. I have to reboot the laptop at least once and sometimes several times before it recognises the wifi network. Tried rolling back the driver and my network (Billion WIFI Router) shows up first time so connectivity problems seem related to the new update - but then with the rolled back driver i have the speed issues again so you just cannot win. Other pcs in the same house connect fine so its seems to be related to the N7260. Does anyone know a fix for the connectivity issues with the latest driver update.

0 Kudos
DWill15
Beginner

I have the same problem as PaulW.

When I turn the laptop on (usually after Hibernation), I have to go into the Network Connections section of Control Panel in Windows 8.1 and disable the Wireless card, then re-enable it.

If I don't do that then it can't connect to the network.

0 Kudos
PWile
Beginner

Thanks for confirming Dave. I have tried Dell system anlysis and that just confirms I have latest driver installed and doesn't identify any other problems with the machine. Until Intel come up with a solution I am just going to roll back to the previous version installed and have to put up with unreliabe speeds - very frustrating.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Daveoc64, the issue you are describing is similar to the one described here:

0 Kudos
MPang
Beginner

Joe, when you suggest people use 5GHz, in Post # 48, would this involve Intel supplying such devices to those who currently have 2.4GHz only devices? How much longer are people here required to spend extra time and expense in purchasing and trying different equipment? I am sure Intel have sufficient equipment to perform their own testing or could I be wrong and it transpires that Intel have no testing equipment and have never tested the 7260N?

0 Kudos
TBhar1
Beginner

now another problem I have noticed in my dell 7000 with latest drivers and upasd disabled. when I put it in aeroplane mode and bring it back I cannot wake on lan any of my devices on lan. and immediately I attach a lan wire or it does with that and all devices wake up my devices on lan but this intel 7260 just stays dead for 2 or 3 days not waking up on lan and then suddenly start working. tried the firewall removed antivirus reloaded os still same problem. INTEL give us all upgrade of any ne w chip or refund our money we are tired of your lies and torture. I have never in my 16 years with Information technology seen such BS.

I think due to competition new innovative kids are kept and these kids are nothing but non experienced staff that keeps dreams on drawing bards and make them into a failure. I have seen dell already recommending their killer wireless to the intel one. its broadcomm or Atheros chips.

INTEL cold buckets of water on head wake up

0 Kudos
DB_
Beginner

I just wanted to confirm that I am having this issue with 3 brand new MSI GS60 Laptops with this card. So far I have updated to the 17.0.5.8 driver, disabled U-APSD, set the power settings to maximum performance, and I am running HT Mode. Router is a Cisco SRP541W - B/G/N 2.4 GHz. We have a 100 x 100 connection. Most consistently I am seeing around 20-25 mbs down / 40+ Up (I know the limitations of G, but should see better than 24 mbs down). There are times I have had .5-4 mbs down. However, aside from that, across the internal network I am seeing just as bad connection - transferring files, opening large files, etc. is extremely slow.

In reply to Joe_Intel:

1. Does the issue occur in 2.4 or 5 GHz? Have only tried 2.4 - 5GHz not available.
  2. What is your operating system? Windows 8.1 64-Bit
  3. Where is the issue happening? Is it happening only at home or across different networks? Tried on 2 networks, issue persists on both.
  4. How many APs or wireless networks are broadcasting in your area? Work - 1 (the one I am using). Home - 3, only 1 with a strong signal (mine).
  5. Does the issue occur when doing some specific actions, such as copying files, streaming, or gaming? All the time. Standard across network traffic and internet traffic.
  6. Is the issue affected by disabling Bluetooth*, uAPSD, or HT mode? It seems disabling uAPSD and running in HT mode is the best.
  7. What is the brand of your system? MSI
  8. Was the Intel® wireless adapter installed by the system manufacturer? Yes
0 Kudos