Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Slow wireless speeds with Intel 8265 ac card under windows 10

RMadi1
Beginner

We have 2 Dell laptops (Latitude 7490 & 5580). Both have the Intel 8265 ac wireless card installed. Both are running windows 10.

Both have been experiencing extremely slow wireless download speeds. By slow I mean less than 1mb down. Upload speeds appear to be fine. This problem occurs on any wireless network (users homes, our work, Starbucks, etc.).

Changing the MTU from 1500 to 1400 on the card worked for about a week, Now their speeds are slow yet again.

Wired internet works fine.

Dell replaced one of the wireless cards and the speeds are still slow.slow.

Both are using the latest Intel drivers.

0 Kudos
32 Replies
LKean
Beginner

My internet speed is solved today...my ISP have sent technician to change new modem comes with dual band modem router maybe it related to my modem

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello keanboon,

I am glad to hear that the problem was solved.

robmad92009,

Have you checked this issue with your ISP?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
RMadi1
Beginner

Not sure how your question regarding the ISP is relevant as this speed issue occurs at different locations. Each location has different access points & ISPs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello robmad92009,

I agree with you. Each ISP handles this issue in a different way. Keep in mind that specific services may be slowed down.

We will try to provide an update on this issue as soon as possible.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello robmad92009,

We would like to know if you have contacted Microsoft* to get more information about the tool/update you downloaded: https://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg11005 https://aka.ms/diag_cssemerg11005

Are they able to provide more information about this fix?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
RMadi1
Beginner

When this issue started, I researched extensively until I came across this link:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba WiFi issues with Creators Update - Microsoft Community

It references the "Creators Update". Now I couldn't tell you if all the affected systems are using the "Creators Update". The above link provides 3 possible solutions. One solution suggested rolling back to an older driver. That didn't work. Another suggestion was to change the MTU on the card from 1500 to 1400. Initially that seemed to fix it. About 2 weeks later, the problem was back. The third one was to download the fix you referenced. So far, that has worked on all systems I've tried it on.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello robmad92009,

Windows* updates usually cause system instability and other issues including slow download speeds. Since wireless hardware was already replaced by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and OEM/Intel drivers were already tested with no positive results, we recommend you to continue working with your system manufacturer and Microsoft*.

If a fix is implemented on future driver releases, we will update this thread as soon as possible.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
RMadi1
Beginner

Since the problem seems to be with Intel Wireless Cards (no problems with our laptops that Qualcomm wireless cards installed) and Windows 10, I would think Intel would want to reach out to Microsoft and work with them regarding this issue. I also would like to think that Intel would want to at least inquire why a fix posted over 18 months ago would work.

Instead you tell me and others to "continue working with your system manufacturer and Microsoft*" regarding this issue.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello robmad92009,

Thank you for your feedback. It is highly appreciated.

We will look into this issue. If an update is available, we will get back to you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AHutc1
Beginner

We are just starting to Deploy Latitude 7490's as well - with the same model Wireless. I have not been testing speed, but I have another issue that is probably related. At domain sign in, we have a policy in place that tells Windows 10 how to login over wireless - and connects network drives. However I just had a staff member tell me that it is not working. After running several logins I can confirm it is not - Laptop is connecting to Corporate Wireless - but none of the login scripts items are running. This usually means Wifi did not connect properly, before the script runs.

I pulled out a new 7490 and imaged. If I run it with Driver Version 20.50.0.4 (Dell) - the Wireless NIC behaves as all of our other models do (we are 100% Dell). However when I update to driver 20.70.0.5 (Dell) - the problem appears (this is the same driver that the other person has, which is not working). I updated to the latest driver off the Dell Site today, and same issue.

Going to try the Intel Driver next.

0 Kudos
AHutc1
Beginner

Updating drivers did not work. It will randomly run the login script, but most of the times it will not. I have noticed that this service -> Ethertronics Active Steering Antenna does not start - not sure if it is related? (Tried updated driver for that too, but it still fails).

I am also getting errors in Event Viewer advising that WLAN Auto Config failed - again not sure if it is related, but the time stamp fits.

0 Kudos
AHutc1
Beginner

I appear to have found a fix for my issue -> and I am wondering if it would fix the problem you are seeing. When I was testing I noticed that a newly imaged 7490 would work properly. However when I did the driver updates, etc. it would not. I had thought this was a driver issue - but even if I rolled back to the one that worked - it would still fail.

However there was another difference. When we image our computers, the Driver Injection phase only installs DRIVERS - not any of the software that comes with it. When we patch running Dell Command Update - it updates the Driver and installs any management software that comes with it - in this case Intel Proset Wireless - and that was the difference.

When the Proset Software was installed, the messaging on the Windows Login screen would lose the message "Windows will try to connect to" - and the name of our wireless network. And it looked like it never even bothered to try. Once I removed Proset - the screen returned to normal, and all of our Active Directory features worked.

So I would suggest removing the Proset Wireless software from Add/Remove programs - and then see if your performance is better.

0 Kudos