Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Sony Vaio 11 fit, Windows 8.1, Intel N2230 or 6235A Wi-fi dropped and limited

OPlec
Beginner

Hello everyone,

I have same issue as other thousands of people. Using Intel mini-PCI Wlan adaptor in my Sony Ultrabook cause my Wi-fi connection dropping and limited randomly.

Last three weeks I am fighting with Wi-fi signal on my Sony Vaio 11 fit. I did buy used this fantastic pcs of hardware. I think Sony should continue with this products. But Wi-fi is a night mare.

Originally there was a Broadcom inside Vaio. But this Broadcom have also an Wifi weak signal and stability issue, but do not drop or limit the connection. So I did buy "better" cards firstly Intel mini-PCI 6235A and than secondly cheaper mini-PCI N2230. I thought that 5GHz was a issue, obviously is not. Buying Intel mini-PCI, I did not know that Intel has been having and issue with Microsoft W8 8.1 64bit.

I did read about Intel PCI-E cards and Windows 8.1 problems. For last couple of days I did read a lot.

But I did not find any good solution. It has been 3 years since W8.1 are out. I just hope that I did missed something? Or is it solved already?

I am using latest Proset driver and utility for N2230 and for 64bit Windows 8.1. It is version PROSET 17.14.0.0. I have Wi-fi latest driver for N2230 that is 15.16.0.2. I have also installed latest driver for Bluetooth N2230 it is 17.1.1411.504. I did try various settings of the adapter but nothing helped. The adaptor is still disconnecting and reports limited access.

What is helping is manual Disabling and Enabling the Intel N2230 adaptor driver within MS W8 8.1 Device manager. But this is somethink I do not want to do.

Is there any solution for this issue?

Or should I rather save my time and buy my third mini-PCI adaptor from Realtek or Qualcomm. These two obviously do not have problems with Windows 8.1 64bit. As I am writing now from different NTB having Realtek mini-PCI.

Thank you for help

Otto
0 Kudos
1 Reply
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Otto,

Please take into consideration that installing or upgrading the various Intel wireless adapters by end users is not supported by Intel. Before installing this device into a system, you must contact the manufacturer of the system, and determine if the product is approved for use in a specific system in a specific country.

Furthermore, since the wireless connectivity issues were present also with the original wireless adapter, the first point of contact in this case should be http://esupport.sony.com/ Sony Support, as they may be able to provide recommendations for this specific situation and computer model.

Here are some recommendations you can try in addition to contacting OEM support:

- Check if Sony has an OEM driver version for this adapter, if they do, uninstall and delete the current version, then install the one from Sony.

- Make sure to have the most recent firmware in your Wireless router or Access Point, as well as the BIOS for your computer.

- If you use Intel PROset/Wireless software 17.13 or later, please go to the Adapter Properties in Windows Device Manager, in the Power Management tab, and make sure to enable (mark the checkbox) "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

- Apply the settings from the document: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?

- Follow the recommendations from the advisory: http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034658.htm Quick Checks That Might Improve or Fix Connection Issues