Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

The I217-LM that's part of a motherboard that stopped functioning. I'm wondering if the network adapter is faulty?

WScha3
Beginner

I checked the bios and it's enabled. If the bios is set to PXE or SMD boot to a network server during bootup the L217-LM isn't found.

When boot to Windows 10 64-Bit the same problem exists.

I receive an error Code 10 that the device couldn't start

(operation failed) requested operation was unsuccessful)

So I switch the driver from Microsoft's driver to Intel's driver 7/29/215 version 12.13.17.6. but again the same Code 10 errors.

So I tried a later Windows 10 version driver from a downloaded exe file (name something like setup64.exe) which is an Windows 10 - 64-bit installation file version 23.x.x.xx for many different Intel adapters including the L217-LM.

The installation failed then I tried again and it was success full however the configuration utility displayed a message no Intel devices found.

So I re-installed the older version which installs ok but the I217-LM still produces a Code 10

So I think perhaps there's something wrong with the P300's motherboard's Intel I217-LM adapter?

Rather than purchase another motherboard I decided to try using an Intel PCI-E network adapter.

The adapter is a

Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter Card EXPI9301CTBLK

While searching at first I could not find a Windows 10 driver then found a Windows 10 driver that states the Intel driver for this CT adapter.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22283?product=50395

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.

Intel® Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter

I'm wondering if this driver will work ok?

Is there anything else I can try to get the built-in L217-LM working again? or it's dead and leave it disabled?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. Since you already tried isolation between your on-board network card Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter Card EXPI9301CTBLK, there is a big chance now that your on-board network card is faulty. My last recommendation to try updating the BIOS of your board. Please try to contact your board manufacturer on how to update the BIOS and where to download the latest BIOS version. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, I just want to check if you tried updating the BIOS of your board and what is the outcome? If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
WScha3
Beginner

My P300 bios was updated a while ago using Lenovo System Update. It's currently at the latest bios version.

The motherboards Intel I217-LM adapter currently has an earlier version Windows 10 driver (64-bit).

The latest Intel Windows 10 64-bit driver, once installed the configuration app won't recognize the Intel L217-LM, produces an error no Intel devices found.

I received the Intel CT adapter and will install as soon as I'm able to do so. .

I was able to install a later version of Intel AMT 64-bit (active management) but am not able to update the I217-LM driver I believe because of it's error code 10

AFAIK the I217-LM can run from an Intel or Windows driver. However I've only been able to install an earlier version of the Intel driver as the latest version hasn't been able to recognize the existence of the I217-LM.

Intels Windows 10 64-bit driver package (exe file) covers many of Intels network adapters and I remember seeing support for the I217-LM from Intels download webpage, however no luck trying to install.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, Actually the isolation that you tried is to check if the on-board network is faulty. That is why I recommended to try BIOS update. Trying another PCI NIC controller is another way to isolate the on-board NIC. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel
Hello WScha3, You can also try to reset the CMOS battery and check if this would resolve the issue. You may contact your PC manufacturer to ask an assistance on how to reset the CMOS battery. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Best regards, Crisselle C Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, I just want to check if you already tried our recommendations to possibly fix the issue. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
WScha3
Beginner

Loading and saving the bios to it's defaults I was able to install and boot to windows 10 with Intel's CT adapter installed.

______

First the cmos battery was removed as I could not find a cmos switch or pin from the Lenovo Thinkstation P300 motherboard. This did not have any effect on the problem.

I then went into the bios, loaded and saved the default bios setting where the motherboards Intel network adapter was enabled. Booting to Windows 10 I received the same Code 10 error from the I217-LM.

I then rebooted, went into the bios and disabled the motherboards L217-LM network adapter, shut down and installed Intel's CT network pci-e adapter. After rebooting to Windows 10 without any short two beeps during boot. Intel's CT adapter now works ok.

I'm uncertain if removing the cmos battery had any effect, but loading the bios defaults did seem to cure the problem with Intels CT pci-e adapter but not the motherboards I217-LM.

I wasn't able to find any Intel Windows 10 64-bit drivers that will install for the Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter Card EXPI9301CTBLK

It's currently using the Windows 10 Microsoft driver.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, Thank you for the update and trying our recommendations. As per your isolation between the onboard I217-LM and CT adapter, since the CT adapter is working, we can now say that the on-board I217-LM is having issues. You may contact your board manufacturer if you need to replace the board. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, Just checking if you already tried contacting your board manufacturer regarding the issue. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, I just want to check if you are now talking to your board manufacturer. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
WScha3
Beginner

After a bios reset I was able to get Intel's CT adapter to work.

My Lenovo PC is out of warranty so I'm uncertain if there's anything Lenovo would be able to do without charging me quite a bit for a new board which I image would be more expensive than finding another used complete Thinkstation, possibly a later model.

I found a spare P300 motherboard pulled from a working system for $35.00 so I'll have a spare in case something else is wrong with the currently installed P300 mb.

I did find a metal washer loose on to of the motherboard near where the Ethernet port exists. I had the case opened on it's side and the metal washer must have somehow fallen inside on top of the mb. So it's possibe the metal washer caused some damage to the built in Ethernet.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, I am glad to hear that after BIOS reset, you were able to make the Intel CT adapter to work. Since this is on-board and it is already showing some signs of being faulty. The on-board NIC may fail again soon so be prepared. If you have questions, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
WScha3
Beginner

Hopefully the P300 motherboard from eBay will solve any future problems.

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, Do you have additional questions or clarifications? Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, Just want to check if you have questions or clarifications. Please let is know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel
Hello WScha3, If you need assistance or clarifications, please let us know. Best regards, Michael L. Intel Customer Support Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
WScha3
Beginner

Ok

0 Kudos