Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265" has begun resetting

CXu8
Beginner

i've been using a 8265 PCIe add in card from Gigabyte to share my computer's LAN connection for my phone. and there're issues:

1) every 15-30 minutes, the wi-fi connection is lost due to 8265 resetting. it will be back to work after a while, but it's very annoying.

2) several minutes after my phone disconnected from wi-fi, the hotspot will be automatically turned off.

i've tried following and the issues persist:

1. unchecked "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." for 8265 and its virtual adapters.

2. in advanced power plan, set wireless adapter settings to "Maximum Performance".

3. updated the driver to most recent 20.10.2.2.

to be specific, before i updated the driver to 20.10.2.2 (i don't know which version the previous driver is), the adapter didn't reset itself. i had to disable and enable it to make it work. Windows Event Viewer was spammed by "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly." error (dozens of entries every second).

with the 20.10.2.2 driver, in Event View i get following errors every 15-30 minutes:

5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)

<</span>EventData>

<</span>Data>\Device\NDMP20</</span>Data>

<</span>Data>Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265</</span>Data>

<</span>Binary>0000080002003800000000008F1300C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004D4D41431C002411</</span>Binary> </</span>EventData>

The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265" has begun resetting. There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset 10 time(s) since it was last initialized.

<</span>EventData>

<</span>Data Name="IfGuid">{84BEDCDA-EFE9-49FA-B69D-AFEE1D2051BA}</</span>Data>

<</span>Data Name="IfIndex">12</</span>Data>

<</span>Data Name="IfLuid">19985273102270464</</span>Data>

<</span>Data Name="AdapterName">Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265</</span>Data>

<</span>Data Name="ResetReason">3</</span>Data>

<</span>Data Name="ResetCount">10</</span>Data>

</</span>EventData>

information about my system:

Add-in Card Model: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I rev4.3

OS: Windows 10 version 1709 (64bit, updated to most recent patch)

CPU & Motherboard: Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 on Gigabyte GA-X170-EXTREME ECC (Intel C236 Chipset, BIOS and driver updated to most recent version)

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Cthylla,

We understand you're having issues with your wireless adapter resetting, which results in a temporary loss of connectivity.

Please bear in mind this is an Intel® Wireless Adapter sold to Gigabyte* who then integrated it on their PCIe adapter, they may have also customized it's features and drivers. Because of this, your primary source of support and drivers should be the hardware vendor. The drivers provided through our Download Center are generic and don't account for OEM customizations.

Our first recommendation will be to uninstall our generic drivers and test the latest provided by Gigabyte* for the GC-WB867D-I*:

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there.

1. Download the latest drivers for your adapter: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-WB867D-I-rev-42# support-dl GC-WB867D-I* Downloads, Version 0886G.

2. Right click the start menu icon, select Programs and Features.

3. Locate the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and uninstall it. Select to discard application settings.

4. Right click on the start menu, select Device Manager.

5. Expand the Network Adapter category, and right click on your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and choose to Uninstall. Mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device" and select OK.

6. Press the Windows* Key + R, or right click on the start menu and open the Run dialog. Type cleanmgr and select OK. From the list of files to delete, mark Temporary Files (all other are not relevant to this procedure, so you may do as you like). Select OK.

7. Restart your computer.

8. Run the installer package downloaded back in step one.

If this does not help, please provide us with the following:

1. Please generate a WLAN Report:

1. Right click your start menu icon and select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport\

4. Upload the wlan-report-latest.html file along with your reply.

2. Please share a report created using the Intel® System Support Utility.

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your wireless network, choose to scan "everything."

3. Choose next again and save this file to an accessible location.

Note: To enable attachments, select the option to "use the advanced editor" while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CXu8
Beginner

i have tried Gigabyte driver before i asked here. my add-in card is https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GC-WB867D-I-rev-43# support-dl GC-WB867D-I (rev. 4.3) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global , not the link you posted, and that driver is just identical to a 19.71.0 intel driver.

and i also tried uninstall 20.10.2.2 driver. as i repeatedly delete 8265's driver, it eventually rolled back to a Microsoft-sourced driver (19.50.1.6) and that version works fine. so why bother making faulty new drivers?

i also did some searching in this forum and found similar results, that shows this issus persists through more than half a year and several driver versions.

i understand that for this add-in card Gigabyte is the source of support, but we all know "they may customize it's driver" is just nonsence and these faulty drivers risk your reputation. to me, an intel believer that buy intel components whenever possible, your wireless adapter drivers didn't show same quality as your graphics or SSD drivers.

note: windows 10 will try to update 8265's driver (even the one downloaded from Gigabyte) to the newest intel-sourced one.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cthylla,

Thank you for the correction, didn't realize I was looking at the wrong hardware revision.

Could you please share a report using the Intel® System Support Utility?

1. Download the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® SSU.

2. While connected to your network, select to scan "everything."

3. Name and save the report to a known location.

Also, since you're using Windows® 10 we'd like to take a look at your WLAN Report:

1. Right click your start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

2. Enter: netsh wlan show wlanreport

3. Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WlanReport and locate wlan-report-latest.html

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CXu8
Beginner

do reports from Microsoft driver (19.50) help? or do i have to update to the faulty new driver then generate reports?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cthylla,

Normally, we'd prefer getting an SSU report while running the latest drivers, but in this case the inbox driver should be OK. The WLAN Report is created based on your activity for the past three days, so it won't matter on that end.

Just go ahead and create this for your current configuration.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CXu8
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cthylla,

Thanks for providing the logs.

The Wlan report is not showing any recent disconnection problems as for lately, but it does report a few wireless disconnections by the driver before.

For now, we recommend to keep using driver version 19.50.1.6. Microsoft* offers a tool to hide driver updates and temporarily prevent them as you wait for new driver updates that may work better for your Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I*. The tool can be downloaded from here:

- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3073930/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window?utm_source=twitter%3Futm_source%3Dtwitter "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter

The software is very simple to use as it only has two options, hide updates or show hidden updates. The same tool can be used to enable the updates again.

NOTE: Links to third party sites are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

EDIT: If forgot to mention that the article talks about Windows 10* version 1607, but we confirmed it's working on version 1709 (Fall Creators Update).

Please let us know if this works for you.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cthylla,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Cthylla,

A new set of drivers was released this week. Could you please try them out and let us know if the issue is resolved?

WiFi: http://Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers Version 20.30.1

BT: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27493 Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Version 20.30.0

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
MYach
Beginner

Hello,

the issue is still present in the latest drivers.

I have 2 Win10 laptops Lenovo T580 with AC8265 WiFi adapter installed, driver version is 20.70.7.1. Both of them show this "The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265" has begun resetting" in the event logs. It is totally impossible to use WiFi connection when this is happening.

The only thing I noticed is that when I set WiFi mode to 2.4GHz 802.11g only - the issue disappears. All other modes are subjected to resetting issue.

Best regards,

Maxim.

0 Kudos