Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Thinkpad P50 Laptop - Intel Wireless AC 8260 Randomly Disconnecting! Is There A Fix For This?

LouLou
Beginner

(For transparency, I have also asked on Reddit and got a few responses, but not a fix).

I have a Thinkpad P50 and I love it (used to have an X200 way back when).

BUT the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 is intermittently disconnecting and I can't seem to find a fix. This is the only thing hindering my enjoyment of this laptop!!

Currently I'm not at home, using my mum's internet connection (in the UK - TalkTalk, using a D-Link DSL-3782 on their Medium Fibre plan - 38Mb average speed).

I should point out the wireless connection is stable on other devices, eg, mobile phones, tablets.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. Checked the BIOS is up-to-date (I have Lenovo Vantage installed anyway)

2. The Intel Drivers are up-to-date (Intel Driver & Support Assistant installed)

3. In Device Manager: Device Manager> Network Adaptors> Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 Properties> Power Management> Untick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

4. Device manager> Network Adapters> Intel AC 8260> Advanced> Preferred Band> select 2. Prefer 2.4 GHz Band

5. Windows 10: Search to open Control Panel> System and Security> Power Options

Next to your currently selected power plan, click Change Plan Settings.

Click Change Advanced Power Settings.

Click to expand the Wireless Adapter Settings section, and then click to expand the Power Saving Mode section.

If the setting is currently anything other than Maximum Performance, click it and then select Maximum Performance, then click Apply.

6.  Some suggest the ProSet drive bloatware could be the problem, and to download the barebones driver only from the Intel site (which I've done).

7. Another suggestion is to completely deleting the Wi-Fi drivers from Device Manager and letting Windows look for the driver. That's not helped, either.

8. Also tried the SSU - Intel® System Support Utility> Scan Everything (attached the .txt file to this post)

9. A Redditor advised I try an elevated command prompt and enter the following - one line:

netsh wlan show wlanreport

then, open the HTML report and take a look at what's causing it.

Unfortunately I can't post images on there, and not sure what to look for on the html file.

Any help that would fix this irritating issue would be welcome? Wondering whether the Wi-Fi adapter is actually faulty, this seems a common problem with the 8260 (?).

Thanks for reading. Let me know which further info could help me get to the bottom of this!

It looks as though I can attach files, and likely images, on this forum, so happy to add whatever else is required.

0 Kudos
0 Replies