Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Ultimate-N 6300, Jetway NF96FL-525-LF, Motorola Surfboard SBG6580

idata
Employee

I have installed a 633ANHMW Ultimate-N card on a Jetway Atom motherboard with a single +2dbi antenna. I can see, with poor signal strength, my wifi network on a Motorola SBG6580 modem/gateway. I have the 14.3.0.6 driver on my 64-bit Windows 7 installation. I cannot connect to the gateway and my signal strength should be stronger 6' from the gateway. I am stumped. Any suggestions?

Martin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello mhconley,

note that our wireless adapters are designed to installed professionally on laptops by the laptop manufacturer, this is why we actually do not recommend, encourage nor support the installation/or upgrade of wireless adapters performed by anyone but the laptop manufacturer. See Intel's position in regards to this at the link below:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006006.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006006.htm

I see you also mention that you are using a single antenna, this adapter was designed to use three antennas for correct performance.

I hope I got you on the right track at least.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the non-answer. I'll be sure to remember it when considering future purchases of Intel products for my PC builds...

And yes, you did get me on the right track: I am replacing the non-functioning Intel Ultimate-N card with a Qualcomm Atheros card.

And to those who may be experiencing similar connectivity issues I believe the problem is that the Motorola SBG6580 supports 2.4GHz OR 5.0GHz and not both simultaneously whereas the Ultimate-N card uses both simultaneously; therefore I believe them incompatible.

Martin

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

One final update - I installed the Qualcomm Atheros wireless N card minutes ago and it works perfectly. (This post was made via that connection.)

Martin

0 Kudos