Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Uninstalling wireless device AC 7260 from Asus G771JW

rufuss07
Beginner

As I want to replace the driver ver. 18.33.51 which has been installed with Windows with the driver files from the pc maker Asus for pc G771JW I have downloaded  driver files V18.11.0.8 I hav run into problems.

Trying to install the Asus recommended version V18.11.0.8 I got a feedback message saying it cannot be installed (blocked) due to the fact that there already is a newer driver installed.

Now trying to go to device manager/properties andde uninstall the device with the box delete all driver files checked and then trying install the V18.11.0.8 it still blocks telling me the same story even thoug going to the device manager shows no AC 7260 card installed. I am a little confused here and need some assistance. Is there a difference in uninstalling from the properties tab (rightclicking the nework card and then uninstall or rightclicking on the network card itself and choose uninstall? I would guess it should not matter. Trying to reboot the pc after uninstalling does not bring the network card back and trying to install V18.11.0.8 gives the same problem (blocked) and the pc has to be restored to the previous setting. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

rufuss07, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes besides trying to update the Wireless driver?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Just to confirm, when updating the Wireless driver to version V18.11.0.8 the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 card disappears from "Device Manager"? 

If you install Wireless driver version 18.33.51 again, is the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 card showing in "Device Manager" again?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
rufuss07
Beginner
Hi and thanks for returning.

1. No this is not a new computer. Bought in November 2015 (Asus G771JW).
Original OS was Windows 8, upgraded to Windows 10 Pro just after purchase.

2. Yes, due to failure the computer was returned to InfoCare for repair. According to report from tem the main board was replaced. This was about August 2017 (inside the warranty period). Otherwise, No.

3. Installed with the computer.

4. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ver. 2004 19041.450

5. No. The card disappears from Device Manager when uninstalled. However, re-booting the computer or searching for a hardware change does not install the network card (AC 7260) back again. The only way to get the card back in the DM is to restore to a previous point before uninstalling.

6. Not sure what you mean, however trying to install recommended driver files from Asus when the card is shown in DM returns a message saying that the driver could not be installed due to a newer version already existing (18.33.51). Is there a way to install the driver version 18.33.51 without the card showing in the DM?

My problem is that the card is de-activated in periods when using the 5GHz network. It seems that the card is being automatically activated after a short period. I therefor wanted to try the driver version recommended by Asus. However, as mentioned above,  the installation is blocked du to a newer driver version already installed. I therefor wanted to uninstall and re-install the card which led to the problem described (searching for hardware change gives no result neither re-booting of the computer).

I would like to mention that the problem does not exists when using the 2.4GHz network.

I hope I have been able to clearify to your satisfaction.
Thanks for trying to help out.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi rufuss07, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing that information.

In reference to your question, "Is there a way to install the driver version 18.33.51 without the card showing in the DM? If the Intel® Wireless card is not showing on DM it means it is not being detected, is as if there is no card at all and most likely the driver will not get installed.

We always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

According to ASUS's web site, the latest Wireless driver available for your platform is Version V10.0.0.327, please try a clean installation of that driver and once you get the chance, please let us know the results and if the problem persists with the 5Ghz band:

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-G771JW/HelpDesk_Download/

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

A BIOS update to the latest version is another option to try, please get in contact directly with ASUS to gather the instructions of how to do it, the latest version available for your system is Version 211 as you can confirm in the link above as well.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
rufuss07
Beginner
Hi,
According to the information on Asus's website the V10.0.0.327 version is for the Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application (adapter) and not Intel AC 7260 adapter.
If you choose show more you will find the driver version for Intel adapter which is V18.11.0.8 dated 2015/08/13. As previous said I have tried to install this, however it is blocked with the message "there is a newer version installed".
My question is still:
Why does not Windows find the Network adapter AC 7260 after having Uninstaller it and re-booting the computer? It surely must be there as it is working when restoring the computer to an earlier point before uninstalling the adapter.
0 Kudos
rufuss07
Beginner

Hi again,

Trying with some new info found on this site:

https://support.microsoft.com/nb-no/help/3084164/computer-that-has-vpn-software-installed-can-t-detect-wireless-network

It is from 2019 however I had VPN installed on the computer when this problem started out.

VPN has been uninstalled some time ago, however could there be any problems in the registry after all?

The uninstall worked after some trying but there was clearly something suspecious about the uninstall. Cannot quite recall exactly what it was, however I was denied the uninstall in the beginning for some reasonbut finally succeeded (maybe?). Could it be worthwile to look into this? Cannot find the path mentioned in this article in the registry though.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi rufuss07, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

In reference to your inquiry, just to let you know, we do not recommend to access or modify the "Registry" since that might create instability in the system.

In regard to "Why does not Windows find the Network adapter AC 7260 after having Uninstaller it and re-booting the computer? We will do further research on this matter, but before we do that, could you please confirm if you can do a clean installation the Intel® Wireless driver version 18.33.17.1 or if you still get the same error message:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28621/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-7260-Family?product=75439

After trying that, please provide the SSU report:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
rufuss07
Beginner

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean by trying to install a CLEAN installation of the Intel® Wireless driver version 18.33.17.1. If I run the WiFi_21.10.1_PROSet64_Win10 (1).exe it ask me if I would Repair, Change or Uninstall. What do I choose?

0 Kudos
rufuss07
Beginner

SSU report attached.

Note: 

Since running the WiFi_21.10.1_PROSet64_Win10 (1).exe and rebooting, the 5 GHz network har been stable (not deactivated) so far. Hopefully this will last.

However, as you can see from the report, the driver version is 18.33.5.1 and not 18.33.17.1.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi rufuss07, Thank you very much for your response.

In reference to your question, select "Uninstall", please follow the instructions showing in the following link to do a clean installation of Intel® Wireless driver version 18.33.17.1

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
rufuss07
Beginner

Hi,

I am still confused. You are telling me to choose uninstall when running the WiFi_21.10.1_PROSet64_Win10 (1).exe.

At the same time you are telling me to follow the instruction in the link you provide. However this instruction is to go to the Device Manager and uninstall the device from there. I have tried this and then rebooting the computer does not bring the adapter back again.

Now, should I run WiFi_21.10.1_PROSet64_Win10 (1).exe and choose Uninstall or should I go to the DM and choose Uninstall device?

Please clearify.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
rufuss07
Beginner

Hi again,

I have now run the WiFi_21.10.1_PROSet64_Win10 (1).exe and selected uninstall. It responded "Success".

Then rebooted the computer and the adapter was showing in the DM with the driver version 18.33.5.1 and not 18.33.17.1.

I did not check the DM before rebooting. It might be that the adapter was not uninstalled at all even though the program WiFi_21.10.1_PROSet64_Win10 (1).exe said "Success".

Maybe I should try this once more checking before rebooting?

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi rufuss07, Thank you very much for providing those updates.

Perfect excellent, it is great to hear that so far the 5 GHz network has been stable and working properly.

Keep in mind that the intel Wireless drivers are generic, meaning they might or might not work with your platform. Also, it seems to be that the latest driver validated by ASUS to work with your system is driver version 18.33.5.1., so in this case, the nest thing to do is to get in contact directly with ASUS to report this scenario for them to release a newer driver version:

https://www.asus.com/support/

So, please keep monitoring the behavior of the Wireless connection to confirm it is working fine, and then if there are any more problems please let us know so we can further assist you.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello rufuss07, I just wanted to check if the issue with the Wireless connection still persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
rufuss07
Beginner

Hi, 

No, the problem does not persists and the 5GHz net has been working ok for the last few days.

I thank you for the assistance on this matter.

Have a nice evening. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi rufuss07, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem does not persist and the 5GHz net has been working fine for the last few days.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos