Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Unstable iwlwifi on AC9560

sBs
Beginner

Hello,

I work on an MSI Modern 14 A10RB laptop and Debian testing (kernel 5.10.0 thus). I experience a lot of problems with wifi connection. Sometimes, wifi doesn't start at boot time (it tries to to start but aborts before going to run). Other times it achieves to start and connect to the net but crashes spuriously loosing the connection. According to logs, the problem seems to be at kernel driver level. This renders net unusable.

Wifi hard is Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi + Intel WiFi AC 9560 160MHz rev 0x354

I attach an SSU record of the computer; a kern.log that contains the trace of several driver aborts and the output of an lspci (in a single zip).

As an aside comment, I observed that the firmware loaded is QuZ-a0-jf-b0-59.ucode which according to the reference tables in https://www.intel.es/content/www/es/es/support/articles/000005511/network-and-i-o/wireless.html do not corresponds to the AC9560 .

Help would be welcome and debugging time is offered, of course.

sbs

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

To better assist you can you please provide the following information:

-Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

-Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system besides the one on our website?

-Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?

- Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or after a driver update?

-Are you able to replicate the issue? If you are, please provide us with a step by step guide with the expected outcome for each step to see if we can investigate this further on our end.

-Did you checked the compatibility of this Linux distribution with MSI? Did they offer any customized drivers, or firmware for it?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
sBs
Beginner

Hi @Victor_G_Intel ,

let me answer to your questions:

-Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently?

Yes,  the laptop is in original state and still sealed.

-Have you installed any recent software or hardware in your system besides the one on our website?

No hardware installed. In the soft side, I installed a Debian testing distribution which is my usual OS.  I also updated the BIOS according to MSI instructions. I didn't appreciate any improvement on the wifi issue.

-Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before?

Yes. Please read next answer.

- Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or after a driver update?

I cannot remember precisely but I would say that the problem showed up after an OS update around last september. I use to update the OS frequently.

-Are you able to replicate the issue? If you are, please provide us with a step by step guide with the expected outcome for each step to see if we can investigate this further on our end.

Yes. It's easy to replicate. As I told in the first message, there are two scenarios:

Just boot the OS. A significative number of times, say 50%, the wifi fails at start time. Kernel driver aborts before starting. In the other 50% of the cases, all starts as expected but after some time running kernel driver aborts. In most of the sessions the problem arises soon or later. Some exceptional sessions run without problems, let's say about a 5% or 10% of them.

-Did you checked the compatibility of this Linux distribution with MSI? Did they offer any customized drivers, or firmware for it?

To my knowledge, the do not offer any customized drivers.

Regards,

sbs

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

We appreciate the information provided and we will use it to do further research about your issue and update this thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

I will send a private email requesting some personal information in order to find a resolution for this.

Regards,

Victor G. 

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

Were you able to check the private email we sent you?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Important note: Please reply with the information directly in the email and not here in the forum to avoid any privacy concerns.

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

We appreciate the information you sent us and we will be investigating further about this and reach you out if there is anything else needed, and we will update this thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

Based on our research and the information you have provided we have come to the conclusion that according to the dmesg log you provided it indicates you are using a Logitech MX Anywhere 2S keyboard and mouse. This device may interfere with WiFi on 2.4 GHz.

What we recommend is that you try the following scenarios and let us know if it improves the WiFi connectivity:

Scenario 1). Disconnect the Logitech keyboard and mouse (i.e. Unpair the Bluetooth connection, or unplug the Logitech USB receiver from the system), then the AC9560 connects to the WiFi router on 2.4 GHz.

Scenario 2). Keep connecting to the Logitech keyboard and mouse, but the AC9560 connects to the WiFi router on 5 GHz.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
sBs
Beginner

Hi Victor,

we will do some testing on this and will return feedback in some days. Thank you

Best regards,

sbs

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

Please do, we will be waiting for your outcome.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
sBs
Beginner

Hello @Victor_G_Intel,

Bad news. Last test was unsuccesful.  Logitech mouse seems to have no incidence on the bug. The behavior didn't show any difference after removing the mouse and its dongle. Additionally, moving to 5GHz band exhibits no difference: while using 5GHz (without mouse) the bug appears again in a similar way.

Best regards,

sbs

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

We are sorry to hear that the recommendations didn’t make a change, please allow us some more time to investigate this, and we will reach you back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

Based on the information you have provided, and our research we would like to recommend for you to try to reset the system’s BIOS to default settings and see if this issue persists after that.

Also, we would like to know that, since you use Linux Legato OS in your system, do you currently work on wireless/IoT development while using that adapter?

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
sBs
Beginner

Hi @Victor_G_Intel,

I'm not really using Legato Linux but Debian 11... there is some confusion there. And, no, I'm not working on IoT development right now.

Regarding the BIOS, let me ask you about. Do you ask me to (i) reset current BIOS to the default parameter values or (ii) to reload the default BIOS version?

I should note that while trying to improve the wifi driver response I updated BIOS to the last version. Thus current BIOS version is not the one shipped with the laptop but an upgraded version.

Regards,

sbs

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

We appreciate the clarification in regard to the OS, and in respect of the BIOS suggestion we provided, what we meant was to reset the BIOS to the default parameter values and then test the system afterward.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Please let me know if you need further assistance.  

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos
sBs
Beginner

Hi @Victor_G_Intel ,

No luck with the test: after resetting the bios to default values, the same problem reproduces again.

Looking forward to hear from you,

sbs

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello sBs,

We appreciate the outcome and information you shared with us and we will use it to continue with the assistance, please allow us some more time to investigate this, and we will reach you back as soon as possible by updating the thread.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos