Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Updated driver for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is failing.

SLamo
Beginner

Intel Driver & Support Assistant shows 1 update for "Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10. Latest version: 20.70.4.2, Installed Version: 20.70.3.3." However when I attempted to install the update I received an error indicating that the "driver can not be installed on this system".

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello SLamo, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. To address this issue, we recommend uninstalling and reinstalling Intel® DSA. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Version: 3.7.0.8 (Latest) https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28425/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant?v=t If the issue persists after performing these steps, run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello SLamo, Were you able to review the information provided on this thread? I would like to add that you can also use the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller to continue troubleshooting this issue. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28181/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant-Uninstaller Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SLamo
Beginner

Hi Wanner G,

Here is what I tried so far...

1. I uninstalled DSA using the uninstaller from your most recent email.
  2. Reinstalled the DSA which again indicated an updated driver was available
  3. Clicked on button to install the driver
  4. And again got the error indicating that the driver could not be installed on my system.
  5. I noticed on the DSA screen a message saying to restart my computer. So I did that and repeated the steps above and got exactly the same result.

I have attached some screen shots and a file with details on my system.

I also wanted to share that the HP Support Assistant tool is also prompting me to update the driver (see screen shot) however note that the version is different from the version that the Intel DSA is showing as current. But when I try to update the driver with the HP Assistant the installation also fails.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know your thoughts and next steps.

-Scott

P.S. Looks like I can only attach 1 file using this support tool, so I'll send other screen shot in a separate post.

0 Kudos
SLamo
Beginner

System Info...

0 Kudos
SLamo
Beginner

Here's the HP Support Assistant screenshot...

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello SLamo, Thank you for your response. Since you are using a HP system, we recommend uninstalling the tool and refer to your system manufacturer for validated drivers and support. However, if you would like to help Intel improve our tool, please provide the following information to continue troubleshooting this issue: -The latest DSAUninstaller.log file. Using File Explorer, search for DSAUninstaller.log -The latest DSA Log files. Using File Explorer, go to folder = C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA, and zip the Log files or entire folder (whichever is easier). NOTE: You may need to uncheck Hide System files to see the AppData folder. Show hidden files https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files Also, Intel provides generic driver for general purposes. System manufacturers usually modify the driver package and add customizations. For this reason, driver versions may differ. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SLamo
Beginner

Here are the log files in hopes it will allow Intel to improve the DSA tool. Please let me know if there's any update to the tool that would resolve the problem since I haven't had much luck in working with HP support but I will try again. I'm wondering... could it be an issue with with who has actually signed the driver? Although, that doesn't make too much sense since I can't seem to install the driver downloaded from the HP site either!!!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello SLamo, Thank you for your response. We will back to you as soon as we have an update about this issue. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PatS_Intel
Hello SLamo, **UPDATED** I was reviewing your thread and had a couple of questions. 1. Are you receiving an error installing the wireless driver if you run the HP Support Assistant for version 20.90.0.7? You may need to uninstall both the wireless driver and Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software beforehand. 2. Are you able to manually install the wireless driver from HP? HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads > HP EliteDesk 800 35W G3 Desktop Mini PC (ENERGY STAR) https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitedesk-800-35w-g3-desktop-mini-pc/15234602/model/15234558?sku=1FY84UT 3. Are you able to manually install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Driver from Intel? Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28503/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?product=94150 4. I noticed your system currently has BIOS version 02.16 and the latest available from HP is version 02.22 Rev.A. I recommend contacting HP for support in updating the BIOS. If you are not able to manually install any driver from HP or Intel, then the issue is not with the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) but with the device or driver itself. Check the status in Device Manager for the wireless adapter. If code 10 or 43, that may indicate a hardware or driver issue and you will need to contact HP for support and warranty options. If you are able to manually install the driver from HP but not from Intel, we recommend to use the driver from HP since it has been validated for your system. (Intel drivers are generic and may not work with all third party or OEM systems). In the end, we recommend to use the driver and software applications provided from the manufacturer of the third party or OEM system since Intel cannot guarantee that IDSA will work with them. Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (IDSA) Is Not Working Properly https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026895/software/software-applications.html If you have tried all the above steps and still would like to help with improving IDSA, I can provide your feedback to the product team, but cannot guarantee if or when they can provide a solution. Please let me know how it goes. Regards, Pat S Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
SLamo
Beginner
Hi Pat, 1. No, I'm not able to install the 20.90.0.7 driver from the HP Support Assistant. There are actually two version of the driver listed and I tried to install the one that is checked. See screenshots attached. Note: I did not try to uninstall the ProSet Wireless Software -- I think I should try that let me know. 2. I downloaded the driver from the link you provided and ran the sp92647.exe file which kicked off a cmd window and rapidly flashed a bunch of text which I couldn't read then the window closed. I then went to the device manager but it indicated that the old driver was still installed. 3. I will try again to contact HP support. Thanks, Scott
0 Kudos
PatS_Intel
Hello SLamo, Were you able to check the status for the wireless adapter in the Device Manager? A code could indicate a hardware issue as well. I do recommend uninstalling the current wireless driver and Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software, rebooting and then reinstalling the desired driver for a clean installation. Although I did not see any specifics posted by HP that the BIOS update may help with the wireless driver installation, they should be able to confirm this. I hope you get this resolved soon. Regards, Pat S Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PatS_Intel
Hello SLamo, Were you able to contact HP? Please let us know how it is going or if you need further assistance. Regards, Pat S Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos