Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Upgrading from Intel® Wireless-AC 9560NGW to anything else from Intel with Wi-Fi 6

haematocrit
Novice

Hi.

Recently, I started planing to upgrade my laptop, including its wireless adapter/RF card (whichever you'd want to call it). 

It's currently running a 9560. From Link#1, I found out that the viable Wi-Fi 6 card is the AX201. From Link#2, I found out that the card doesn't have backward compatibility with older systems with CNVio (no "2")

Link#1: What Are the Intel® Integrated Connectivity (CNVi) and Companion RF...
Link#2: CNVio VS CNVio2 documentation. - Intel Community

So, here is my question. Can I use Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 or maybe even the 6E AX210 instead, if I can get one? Will my laptop take it? Thank you. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are correct that you cannot use the AX201 as your laptop does not have the CNVIO2 interface.

The AX200 and AX210 modules do not use CNVIO. Thus, you can typically use them in any M.2 Type E connector -- but you must verify this with your laptop vendor; at least two users have reported that the cards didn't work in their systems with M.2 Type E connectors supporting CNVIO.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You are correct that you cannot use the AX201 as your laptop does not have the CNVIO2 interface.

The AX200 and AX210 modules do not use CNVIO. Thus, you can typically use them in any M.2 Type E connector -- but you must verify this with your laptop vendor; at least two users have reported that the cards didn't work in their systems with M.2 Type E connectors supporting CNVIO.

Hope this helps,

...S

haematocrit
Novice

Thanks, Scott for your reply! I will go ahead and check the compatibility with Lenovo. 

0 Kudos