Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

WIFI not working, periodically disappearing totally

MNico15
Beginner

I have an HP notebook 17-y010cy running Windows 10 64 bit. . Last Wednesday in the middle of my work day, my computer shut down without warning. This has happened on occasion previously so I was not totally surprised. When it turned back on however, the option for WIFI totally disappeared. After restarting and trying some other troubleshooting, the option would sporadically reappear and even work, only for a minute or so, and then disappear again. WIFI now more consistently shows up (the option doesn't completely disappear anymore) but it says no networks available. I am able to connect on all other devices.

I have tried almost all solutions on the internet including running a hardware check (all working properly), reinstalling the driver/all drivers, updating and rolling it back (this options seems to have disappeared now), flushing the DNS etc to no avail. It is definitely a driver issue, but I am stuck in terms of knowing how to fix it. I used the intel hardware/software checker tool and that said all was working properly. I went into the event viewer for the driver (Intel(r) dual band wireless AC 3165) and this was the event code that keeps happening: Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3165&SUBSYS_40108086&REV_81\58FB84FFFF6CD8D300 had a problem starting.

I am able to connect to the internet using the ethernet cable, but really would like to not be locked into having to use that. I see others are having similar driver issues lately and hope someone can offer a solution. My bluetooth driver seems to have stopped working as well.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello MNico15,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. 

We would like to gain a better understanding of the behavior reported. Share the details below at your earliest convenience. 

• Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed in your system or have you changed/installed a new adapter recently? 
  • Please provide a screenshot of the Device Manager showing the adapter.
  • Do you see any error message in the Device Manager?
  • Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks? 
  • Please provide us with the Intel® System Support Utility logs by following the next steps: 
  1. Download the software. 
  2. When finished downloading it, open it. 
  3. Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan. 
  4. When finish scanning, click "Next." 
  5. Click on Save and attach the file to your post. 

We hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards, 

Daisy J. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

DaisyJ_Intel

Hello MNico15,

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let me know if you need more assistance.  

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos
DaisyJ_Intel

Hello MNico15,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. You might try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue experienced:

Option 1:

Check device manager: On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and X at the same time. Then select Device Manager. You’ll be prompted for permission. Click Yes to open Device Manager, while in Device Manager, click View and select Show hidden devices.

Click Network adapters to select it. Click Action and click Scan for hardware changes. Double-click Network adapters to expand the list. See if your wireless network adapter appears on the list.

Option 2:

Use the Windows 10 network troubleshooter:

On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and type and then select Identify and repair network problems in the list of search results to run the network troubleshooter. The network troubleshooter will automatically detect the network problems on your PC. You just need to follow the steps in the network troubleshooter and see if this issue can get fixed.

Option 3:

Reset Network Settings in Windows 10.

Select the Start menu and type Network. In Windows Settings, select Network and Internet. In the left navigation pane, select Status to make sure you're viewing the network status window. Click the Network Reset link and review the Network Reset information message. Select Yes in the network reset confirmation window.

Option 4:

Winsock

Press the Windows Logo Key and R at the same time to open the Run dialog. Type cmd and press CtrlShift and Enter at the same time to run Command Prompt as administrator. You will be prompted for permission. Click Yes to run Command Prompt.

If your wireless network adapter does not appear in Device Manager after you tried all the fixes above, consult with your laptop manufacturer for further support to check any hardware failure.

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Thank you for contacting Intel. 

Regards, 

Daisy J. 

0 Kudos