Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

What the hell does the new drivers do to the AC radio frequency?

MHern9
Beginner

So I initially had the worst wifi card in the world, Intel Single Band 7260 N. This card would drop wifi every 10 min.

Due to whitelisting requirements on the BIOS, I was forced to buy another card from the 7260 family, with hopes of solving the wifi drop-out issues.

Now I get this:

As you can see, the new drivers doesn't support AC radio frequencies. This was an issue a while ago, but until now, I was able to live with the old driver. Now, I am forced to upgrade do to compliance requirements at my institution.

Seriously Intel, this is garbage.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

I have the dual band 7260N so I don't really see a difference in the radio type with the newer 17.1.x drivers. I rolled back to 16.8.0.6 which works fine but not perfect. I'm not really expecting much after a bunch of newer driver release. If it works fine, don't tinker with it is my philosophy.

0 Kudos
MHern9
Beginner

I wish I could. My institution will cut me off the internet if I don't update certain drivers. Intel is one of them.

The old driver drops about 1x a month. Not perfect, but fu**, 12 drops a year is better than once every 2 days. That makes 180 drops a year.

Also, the new driver makes my internet WAY SLOWER. Maybe the stupid lack of AC -.- (****ing idiots).

Is there a way to spoof the driver version? Maybe editing an ini file? More importantly, will it bypass cisco stupid integrity check?

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

That's a Windows thing.

I use Windows 7, driver 16.6.0.8, 10/14/13. I see the same thing that you do in that screen shot, but my AC works just fine. I can get 866 Mbps next to my router on the 5GHz band, so I'm not concerned if Windows' netsh tables aren't kept current.

0 Kudos
MHern9
Beginner

How is it a Window thing, if I ran the first command and then 1 min after I rolled back the driver and re-ran the same command? Essentially, it is a driver thing.

As you can see, the old drivers works perfect on Windows 8.1 Update 1 and shows AC on it.

To say it is a windows thing, when no changes to windows happened except the change in driver is wrong. Frankly, blaming M$ for an Intel problem won't fly.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Who cares? Do you get AC performance or not?

M$. Clever.

0 Kudos
MHern9
Beginner

If I was, I would not give a damn. I get 1/8 maybe 1/9 of what you get.

Also, it bothers me how Intel drivers keep getting worst and that I am being forced to upgrade to a shittier driver. I am also bothered by the fact that I initially had the POS Intel 7260N card. That crap card use to disconnect every 10 min. So I upgraded cards (to the only whitelisted card). It worked fine with ~1 drop a month till now with the update. Since my insitution forced me to update 48 hours ago I have had 2 drops. Better than with the 7260 N card, but still frustrating as hell.

Anyway to spoof the old version number to cisco clean access?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

GattoNero is correct, Windows* 7 will not show 802.11ac. However, it should be showing up in Windows* 8.1 as I have confirmed in two different systems and it is being discussed here: /message/248773# 248773 https://communities.intel.com/message/248773# 248773

0 Kudos