Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Which Intel Wireless AC cards are compatible with NUC D54250WYKH? Issues with newer Bluetooth devices not waking up

JJame8
Beginner

I have a NUC D54250WYKH with the Intel WiFi Bluetooth AC-7260 that appears to not be compatible with the Microsoft Designer Keyboard and Mouse - they don't always wake up.

Event viewer has messages like this: The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode. The minimum required supported state mask is 0x491f7fffff, got 0x1fffffff. Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.

Which NEWER Intel AC cards are compatible with D54250WYKH?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JJame8
Beginner

The link was helpful - the Intel compatibility lists are nice but not necessarily complete as there are devices that are compatible, but not listed since they haven't officially tested.

I am looking to upgrade the Bluetooth because my new keyboard and mouse support the low energy option and it looks like the 7260 doesn't support this functionality and may be causing occasional disconnects. I found a number of websites with info that may reduce the number of disconnects.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jaziii,

We understand you're having issues with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 and your Bluetooth® peripherals that require low energy controller state support. Because of this, you would like to find a newer wireless adapter to upgrade your Intel® NUC D54250WYKH.

Since your NUC uses the now legacy Half Mini PCIe Card (HMC) form factor for wireless, there are no newer Intel® Wireless Adapters that we can suggest. The 7260 was the last adapter manufactured using this form factor, all newer models use M.2 Key E.

However, looking at the specifications for your keyboard and mouse, there should be no compatibility issues since they both use Bluetooth® 4.0.

Please make sure that you're using the latest Bluetooth® drivers for your OS version (19.80.0 for Windows® 10, 19.71.0 for Windows* 7 and 8.1):

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005489.html Download Software for Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® Technology.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JJame8
Beginner

Carlos, thank you. It's odd because the Microsoft Designer Keyboard keeps going back to Paired rather than Connected within a short time... I can understand that it saves the batteries, but sometimes it is very difficult to get it to wake up. I just recently discovered the pairing button on the bottom of the keyboard and if I tap it, it looks like it helps get it to go Connected again.

The keyboard disconnects and lags too often for me to use it effectively. I really like the keyboard - small, great tactile feedback, quiet - but the lags and disconnects are making it unusable.

Thank you for confirming the Intel 7260 and the keyboard are compatible.

I may need to get the keyboard replaced if re-installing the drivers doesn't work. I have the latest version.

Jim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jaziii,

I also found an article on howtogeek.com that may help, specifically the last set of suggestions:

- https://www.howtogeek.com/189856/ask-htg-how-can-i-keep-my-bluetooth-mouse-connected/ How to Stop Your Bluetooth Mouse from Constantly Disconnecting.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Let us know if any of this makes a difference.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JJame8
Beginner

Carlos, doesn't the AC7260 communicate via a USB header? Should I disable Power Management on USB Root hubs too?

I've done all the changes suggested, but the keyboard goes to sleep - probably to save the battery. I watch the status of the Bluetooth devices by watching Windows 10 "Bluetooth & Other Settings" screen and I see the keyboard shows as PAIRED. When I start to type, there is a lag before it goes from PAIRED to CONNECTED… and misses keystrokes.

The keyboard drops to PAIRED status pretty quickly so this issue happens frequently. If it stayed awake for a half hour or more, it wouldn't be such an issue.

Great info from you! Thanks!

Jim

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jaziii,

That's correct your wireless adapter is split into two "separate" modules. A wireless module which communicates via PCIe, and the Bluetooth® module which uses USB.

Keep in mind that if this behavior is initialized by your mouse/keyboard, these settings may not help. Do you know if Microsoft* has any software intended to manage your keyboard and mouse settings? (Specifically for your model, not just "any" keyboard and mouse, I mean).

You could try the following:

1. Open the Run dialog.

1. Press the Windows* Key + Run

2. Or, right click the start menu icon and select Run from the list.

2. Type: "control powercfg.cpl,,1" and press OK.

3. Select your current power plan.

4. USB Settings > USB selective suspend setting > Set both to disabled.

5. Go back and select any other power plan commonly used, repeat.

This may help prevent your Bluetooth® module from going to sleep.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JJame8
Beginner

The Microsoft Bluetooth Designer Keyboard and Mouse don't have / use the Keyboard and Mouse program most of their other products use. Unfortunately, things just got worse with the keyboard not reconnecting. If I turned off / on Bluetooth, it would start to work but the keystrokes with either lag, miss keystrokes or the same key would repeat many times.

I give up. Returned keyboard / mouse... really disappointed because I liked the size and feel.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jaziii,

That's unfortunate to hear. If there's anything else we can help you with, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos