Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Which model of intel card is compatible in Lenovo Y510P with the 5.0 GHz band?

Stef1
Beginner

I,

I have an Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 card in my Lenovo Y510P laptop. I want to update for a 5G card. Which model of intel card is compatible in Lenovo Y510P with the 5.0 GHz band? I have an Archer AX50 router.

Thank you !

Stephane

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact Lenovo and ask them that question regarding compatibility with their device.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You need to contact Lenovo and ask them that question regarding compatibility with their device.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Windows 11 is the new Vista]

0 Kudos
Stef1
Beginner

Hi AlHill,

Thank, for your suggestion!

I just posted my question on the Lenovo forum

Best regards

Stéphane

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Before anything else, let me reiterate what Doc has said: you should talk to Lenovo regarding whether newer card generations will be supported. In many (especially older) designs, slimebucket vendors utilize inclusion and exclusion lists to essentially require that you purchase any upgrades through them. They say they do it to 'ensure compatibility', but hopefully we are smart enough to see through that bullpucky.

Ok, digging in, I will presume that, while you said '5G' but also mentioned the AX50, you are actually looking for support for WiFi 6 and 5.0 GHz Wireless-AX support.

Your Centrino Wireless-N 2230 card plugs into the Half Mini PCIe (a.k.a. M.1) connector. Unfortunately, Intel does not provide their latest silicon in any form factors other than those for the (succeeding) M.2 connectors. All is not lost, however, as there are third-party companies that do utilize the Intel silicon in older form factor designs. Here is an example, from NewEgg, one that I have actually purchased and it works well: https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-mpe-ax3000h-mini-pcie/p/0XM-00JK-00098. This is the equivalent of Intel's AX200 WiFi 6 Wireless-AX card - and utilizes the same, standard Intel drivers - but is in the Half Mini PCIe form factor. I also found a similar card through Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/MPE-AX3000H-802-11ac-Wireless-Express-Network/dp/B091FJXQHH.

Now, if your goal is to also have support for WiFi 6e (i.e. you also want 6.0 GHz Wireless-AX), this too is available in the Half Mini PCIe form factor. Note that, in this case, I have not tried any of these cards myself as yet. Here is NewEgg link: https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-wi-fi6e-mpe-axe3000h-mini-pcie/p/0XM-00JK-000A9. I would not find this specific card on Amazon, but I did find one from another vendor: https://www.amazon.com/REKONG-6E-WiFi-MPE-AXE3000H-5400Mbps/dp/B09F3CLKLH.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Stef1
Beginner

Hi Scott Pearson,

Thank you for your long answer

With the AX 50 I'm just looking to use 5G. I only use my Y510P laptop for computer music and models. I have made memory and ssd updates and the i7 allows me to have low latency for audio recordings. I did a "MAO" cleanup on Windows 10 pro.

You have installed the Fenvi MPE-AX3000 Wi-Fi 6 Wireless Dual Band, is it on a Lenovo Y510P or other Lenovo model?  In the description of the Fenvi MPE-AX3000 in the last line: Note: Not support IBM/Thinkpad/lenovo/hp laptop same for  MPE-AX3000H at the last line: not support all IBM/Thinkpad/Lenovo/HP laptops.

For the Fenvi Wifi 6E MPE-AXE3000H same not support all IBM/Thinkpad/Lenovo/HP laptops.

In the Lenovo forum I read: an answer with this table https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Upgrade-wireless-card-Y510p-for-Win-10-full-compatibilty/m-p/4279743

I read, however, that the Bios may not recognize the replacement cards, and that you should fix it by flashing a Bios modded

Response from a Social Support Agent based in the Philippines

We do not recommend to our customer to flash a modded BIOS on their computer because it will cause hardware failure. Regarding the compatible WLAN card for your laptop kindly check the list below.

Stef1_0-1640621963772.png

As my laptop is very stable with my computer music configuration, I don't want to go play in the bios.

Best regards

Stéphane

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, I don't have any Lenovo products, so no I haven't had the opportunity to try out any of these adapters with one. All links that I provided are purely examples. As I said, there are others that can be found just as easily. 

Sadly, considering the notices and comments regarding BIOS mods, this indicates to me that there are likely inclusion/exclusions lists built into the Lenovo BIOS (the mods are likely hacking these lists) and Lenovo goes onto my slimebucket list. I wouldn't use a modded BIOS. There is thus little that you can do about this - well, other than flat out asking for confirmation that no inclusion/exclusions lists are included in the BIOS before considering the laptop for purchase. 

...S

0 Kudos
Stef1
Beginner

Thanks for the information !

I don't know that laptop or pc manufacturers included inclusions/exclusion list in their bio.

On my next laptop purchase, as you mentioned... ask for confirmation that no inclusion/exclusions lists are included in the BIOS before considering the laptop for purchase.

Stéphane

0 Kudos