Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

White/Black wires upgrading to AC9560

Geppo
Beginner

Hi, I got an amlethic doubt upgrading a Wireless-AC 9462 with a Wireless-AC 9560.

Main (2) and Aux (1) connectors are in the same position on the two adapters, but....

on the orignal AC 9462 Main has a white mark (and is connected to the white wire) and Aux has a black mark (and is connected to the black wire).

On AC 9560 Main has a BLACK mark and Aux has a WHITE mark, so Main-Aux marks color are reversed.

How to connect the wire white/black ?

1) Connecting the MAIN connector to the cable which was conneted to the MAIN connector on the AC 9462 (then with the WHITE wire connected to the MAIN connector, now marked as BLACK)

2) Connecting the WHITE wire to the connector with the WHITE mark (then with the wire which was connected to the MAIN, now connected to the AUX).

Thanks you in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The wires are leads for the two antennas. In theory they're identical, so it shouldn't really matter which each is connected to.

...S

0 Kudos
Geppo
Beginner

Thank you very much for your help.

It is exactly my thought, but as I am used to say, "Often things are not what they look like" which is the extreme synthesys of two important concepts: "Things are often much more complicated than they look like" as well as "Things are often much more simple than they look like".

Although I'm not exactly a newbie, I don't deeply know the technology behind those adapters, so a doubt is legit..... if it doesn't matter, why you would make things foggy, marking the two connectors with two different names and two different colors?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There is the small possibility of one antenna being better than the other, but there's really no way to tell. Connect the antennas by color and try it. If it doesn't work as well as you think it should, then try the other way.

...S

0 Kudos
Geppo
Beginner

Thank you for your help, Scott.

Surely your suggestion has a sense, although playing with a reiterate disassembling/assembling a notebook is not a real amusement and I hope to do it just once.

Anyway this does cannot be considered as a general clarification about this subject. Internet is full of post about the meaning of the white/black wire and main/aux connectors and how to connect them. Unfortunately all those posts come from users and their answers do not point to an unique solution.

I would like to get an authorithative answer, coming from someone strictly involved in the development of such adapters, pointing to a definitive answer.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I agree; there are a lot of pinheads out there who think with their egos rather than their brains. Folks come to the Intel forums all the time with preconceived notions of what is wrong based upon the crap that they read elsewhere. The most common one is: "There's something wrong with my processor". This is, of course, not the case 99.999% of the time, but these folks will be adamant because of the crap they read (and which they took as gospel). It's big bad Intel, so it must be their crap processors. Of course, 99.999% of the time, the crap came from a pinhead who only knows enough to be dangerous because they can sound authoritative with a few buzzwords.

Connecting white to main and black to aux has the highest probability of being the right answer, but I simply cannot be sure because it depends upon so many factors. The right authority to answer this question is going to be the laptop manufacturer. Contact them and ask. You can also ask Intel Customer Support to request an answer from the adapter team. The things I can say with certainty are (a) you will not damage anything connecting it either way, (b) you can test it connected both ways long before you will get an answer from either source, (c) if you are not sure of what you are doing, you shouldn't be doing it and (d) if you have to disassemble the laptop to do this, you are likely killing your warranty by doing so.

...S

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Geppo, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, the manufacturer of the computer has the option to customize the components in your platform, so, regarding the question about the colors, we cannot confirm that information since Intel® was not the one that assembly the wireless card in your system.

Now, the proper connection of the Intel® Wireless-AC 9560 is the following:

Antenna #

2x2

M.2 2230

Antenna 1

(Aux)

Wi-Fi + BT

M.2 2230

Antenna 2

(Main)

Wi-Fi

Wireless antennas are generally provided by each OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), as they will need to fit each computer's and may subject to country-specific regulatory requirements:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005846/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Geppo
Beginner

Thank you very much Alberto for your support.

Now all is much more clear.

I'm sorry for my delayed reply, I had some trouble accessing the forum, due to an issue to the authentication system.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Geppo, You are very welcome, no problem at all, it is great to hear that the information provided previously was useful for you. Any other inquiry, do not hesitate to contact us again. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos