Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Why has my connection become so erratic after updating drivers?

JL3
Beginner

Hi all, on my Asus GL551 laptop, the wireless adapter is the Intel Dual band wireless-N 7260, I had been using the Intel PROset/Wireless Software version 17.0.1; a few days ago, I went through and updated a bunch of drivers, including the wireless driver (to version 19.50.1). After the update, the wifi connection seemed to be really erratic and spiky (based on the task manager's network performance monitoring graph), I'm noticing that there seems to be lots of points where the connection is inconsistent and just cuts off for a second which has become quite annoying when streaming and downloading things. Using the old driver, it always seemed to be relatively stable during heavy internet usage but now it the connection seems quite erratic. Does anyone have an explanation or a fix for this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jlrgn712,

There are many reasons for connectivity issues, here are some relevant aspects based on your description.

The new Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers is expected to work well in most configurations, however, the major changes are for newer adapters and Windows® 10. It is possible that your system works better with an older or OEM driver.

Also, if you applied other updates as well, these may have modified the configuration for your PC.

The main recommendation we can provide is to roll back the driver, or you may check with the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support (Asus*) to get their most recent driver.

Keep in mind that the wireless drivers found in https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/75440/Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-7260 Intel® Download Center are generic versions. The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don't lose features or customization.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jlrgn712,

We hope our recommendations helped with this issue, please let us know if you require further assistance.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos