Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Why isn't there an option for 802.11n wireless mode for 7265 adapter?

TA4
Beginner

I recently purchased new ThinkPad computers running Windows 7x64 with the 7265 adapter. It should have 802.11n capabilities, but I only see the following options under Wireless Mode in device manager: 802.11a, 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11b/g, 802.11a/g, 802.11a/b/g. As a result I can only connect to my router using 802.11g and max transfer rates are at 54mbps. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

(Interesting to note, I have tried updating to the latest driver, although the latest driver on the intel site is 18.12.1 (release date 8/17/2015), but my computer shows the driver version of 18.12.1.2.)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

thomas80,

Is your wireless card a Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7265 or Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265?

Please try the following:

1 - Go to Control Panel >> Device Manager >> Network Adapters and select the adapter and right click on it.

2 - Select the tab that says Advanced and set the U-APSD Support to Disabled.

3 - Set the value of Transmit Power to 5. Highest.

4 - Set the Preferred Band to Prefer 2.4GHz band.

5 - Set the HT Mode to HT Mode for 802.11n compatibility. (VHT Mode is for 802.11ac compatibility).

0 Kudos
TA4
Beginner

Sorry, it's the dual band AC 7265. I've seen those steps previously posted, with no luck. It still only connects at 54mbps.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

thomas80,

Since you have tried the steps above and still did not work. We recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer to see if they have any updates that might help you with this if the wireless card was installed by factory. As a second option, you can try the following:

1 - Update the drivers on your wireless adapter, seek for updates with your computer manufacturer first. If not available at the moment, you can try the latest driver version found in our support web page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25223/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 7* - File name: Wireless_18.12.1_ Ds64.exe

2 - Check for possible firmware updates for your router.

3 - You can find the list of manufacturer here: http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support Web Sites

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Are you using TKIP encryption as your router security? If so, that will limit you to 54.

0 Kudos
TA4
Beginner

aleki_intel thanks for the help! I reached out to Lenovo, and they are going to try replacing the wireless card.

1. The interesting part of this, is that the driver version shown on the computer is 18.12.1.2, which is higher than the latest release listed on Intel's website (18.12.1) and as you noted. Is that possible?

2. Router is up-to-date & no other issues with other devices connected.

GattoNero I'm using AES only.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

thomas80,

Thanks for letting us know that. IF you have any further questions or doubts, you can always reach us through communities or reaching your nearest Intel contact center.

0 Kudos