Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Why wont the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 find any networks?

AHorn9
Beginner

I recently installed the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 with the most recent drivers for windows 8.1, but neither the bluetooth nor the wifi display any connections. I tried to use the Intel PROSet/wireless tools, but I got an error that said that the program has compatibility issues. Does anyone know what the problem is?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi quisss,

I would like to get more details of your system and the experience you are having so can you please provide the following?

1. What is the Computer brand and model?
  2. What is the Operating System installed?
  3. Did your system come with this wireless adapter or did you integrate it?
  4. What driver version did you install?

Kevin M

0 Kudos
AHorn9
Beginner

1. I am using the Acer ATC-120-UR11

2. My operating system is Windows 8.1

3. I purchased the adapter separately and installed it myself.

4. I used the Intel Driver Update Utility to find the most recent driver which is 17.1.0.19

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for sharing this information.

I would start checking the antenna connection on the system and make sure it is setup correctly. I would also strongly recommend you checking with the Computer Manufacture if this device is compatible with your system. If a wireless adapter is added to a system and it fits, not necessarily means will work or be recognized by the computer.

Here you have some more information:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm

Kevin M

0 Kudos
AHorn9
Beginner

Thanks for the help, and I have one more piece of information that may be helpful.

I can occasionally see one network, but I should be able to see about 20. I think this may be the most powerful network in the area, but I am not sure.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi drewnusser,

Please create a new post and provide all information about your issue.

Quisss,

If you already checked the antenna and update all drivers I would say there is a compatibility issue. I recommend you contacting the Computer Manufacture and confirm with them if the system supports this card.

Kevin M

0 Kudos
DNuss1
Beginner

I'm in the exact same boat, except mine came pre-installed. I have the Lenovo Y70, and it's worked fine for a couple months, but just a few days ago my laptop stopped seeing networks and started dropping wifi connections all the time, etc. There are probably 5-6 networks at work, and I'm lucky to see one or two (and they just have one bar). At home, it's the same story, so I know it's not a router issue. The only time I can even connect to a network is when I'm sitting within 5-10 feet of the router, and it still drops out intermittently. I got the 17.0.5.8 driver from Lenovo and it didn't fix anything. Any ideas?

0 Kudos