Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz -2.4GHz & 5GHz: connected, no internet access

grocerylist
Novice

I've been experiencing wifi issues with my manufacturer installed ax200 wifi card essentially since I got my new Asus Zephyrus G14. Problems initially were fairly intermittent on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but occasionally I have extended outages. Since then I'd read in some forums to try to use the intel drivers direct from intel, rather than the Asus recommended drivers.

I've gone through a few different wifi drivers (asus recommended driver v21.60.0.5, I'm currently using v21.90.3.2.

With 21.90.3.2, it seems like 2.4GHz is fairly stable but 5GHz is essentially unusable. I'm able to connect to 5GHz but almost immediately when connected it shows "no internet access".

I've tried updating to v21.110.1.1 but this driver fails to install.

1 Solution
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello grocerylist, I just received an update on this matter.

Please try a manually clean installation of Intel® Wireless driver version 21.120.0:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29816/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-IT-Admins?product=189347

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

By any chance, do you have the option of testing the computer on a different network?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
70 Replies
Vegan
New Contributor I

reset windows does preserve personal files if selected

0 Kudos
KristianT
Beginner

Just to throw another curve ball, I have discovered issues when choosing which WiFi channels and band widths using my TP Link TX50E which is essentially an AX200. 

I have had the same symptoms, it will connect fine over 2.4Ghz but as soon as I try 5Ghz I get a myriad of issues, usually DNS or IP addressing. I initially thought it was an ipv6 issue on the adapter (it's turned off on the router which is a TP Link AX50) as ipconfig would occasionally show my DNS as:

fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Which is usually an indication of ipv6 playing up.

However I have since discovered that when I choose any of the channels 100 and over or if I force the bandwidth to 160Mhz,  my pc will connect but I either get internet traffic for a couple of seconds and dies or I get none at all. However other devices will connect no problem, in fact my Wifi 5 chromebook was getting around 750Mbps down when placed on top of my desktop (in order to check wifi signal is the same) when bandwidth was set to 160Mhz. I also tested with a Wifi 6 laptop in same place and was getting nearly the same speeds however my desktop would continue to have DNS or IP addressing issues. 

Currently I have mine set on Channel 64 (DFS) with bandwidth set to Auto and it's working and I can get around 400Mbps.

Next step is to try setting bandwidth to 20, 40 and 80 to see if they also cause issues.

I am currently running the latest drivers 22.40.0

0 Kudos
KristianT
Beginner

OK so adapter works fine when bandwidth is set to 20, 40 or 80 Mhz, however as soon as I set it to 160Mhz on Channel 64 it fails to get DNS.

Next I tried setting Channel to Auto and bandwidth 160Mhz. Using my wifi analyser I can see it's spanning all channels from 0 to 56, it connects but connection is slow around 67 / 6 when I'm on a 1000/50 plan.  My Lenovo Chromebook placed on top of my desktop (with AC adapter), so in a similar location to AX200 adapter, is getting 718 / 46.  So I tried going into the adapter settings and forcing it to use AC only and it only reached 55 / 8.

For some reason it really doesn't like using wide bandwidths.

0 Kudos
italong
Beginner

In my situations, I resolved the ax200's 5GHz 160m  can't conect error, the way in the bellow pictures

IMG_1005a.jpgIMG_1006a.jpg

Lisulis12
Beginner

Thank You, kind Sir!!! I have bought Gigabit internet and Gigabit router but started to have issues with wi-fi on my PC after upgrading the CPU. 5Ghz only worked with 20 Mhz set in the wireless card settings. I thought it was purely a software thing but gave up after countless hours of trying to solve it. I was limited to 1/5 of internet speed provided by my router on my PC for 4 months up till now. I cannot believe it was that simple. Made an account just to thank You for this great visual solution that caught my attention. 

0 Kudos
italong
Beginner

I am glad it's does work to you, when I met this problem, I have cost much of time to resolve it by internet, but all of them didn't work, then I occasionnally found my own way to resolve it, then I create this account and post it here, hope to could help someone

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I had a similar situation; a dead spot where the system sat. I solved this by switching to a remote antenna  that I could positionally adjust much easier (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XYV92ZY).

...S

0 Kudos
Vegan
New Contributor I

signal proration varies by frequency and reflections can make it even more complicated

this is why I like my antenna which has 2 meters of cables to place it even on a wall

0 Kudos