Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz unstable connection

Gruphius
Beginner

Hey guys,

I have the same problem as many people here before. My Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 260MHz won't provide a stable connection to the internet. I've reinstalled the driver, updated it and many more. I even deactivated QoS. The connection is fine on Linux on the same hardware and other devices, but not on Windows...

I've already tried the standard things which you get provided when you google for this issue and also a few more, but nothing worked. I'll post a link to the Microsoft forum with more information.

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/internet-macht-probleme/a27872a7-8ca8-4dd9-a353-864a64f96b1a?tm=1596039052118

It's in German, but I guess you can translate it.

Gruphius

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Gruphius

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to check this behavior further, could you provide the following information to understand better your environment?

1- When you mentioned that the Wireless adapter "won't provide a stable connection to the internet", do you mean it is also disconnecting or is it only having issues with connection speed? Please provide details.

2- Are you having issues with Wi-Fi only or with Bluetooth too (both)?

3- When did it start to happen? Did it work fine before? Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? Please provide details

4- Do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update, Wireless/Bluetooth driver update, or hardware change?

5- Is the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 the original wireless adapter that came pre-installed in your system or did you install it on the computer?

6- Have you checked if this issue happens testing only the laptop and the router? (no other wireless devices connected to the wireless network during this test).

7- Have you tried a different router or Access point for testing purposes? Maybe one that is AX compatible? Have you rebooted your access-point, router, modem? Please provide details.

8- Router/Access point brand, model, and firmware version:

9- Have you tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?

Also, please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread to gather more details about your system.

1- Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

2- Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3- To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Note: To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.

Our support is only provided in English. We may not be able to translate screenshots attached to the thread or third-party threads.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Gruphius
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

1.  It doesn't really disconnect. The connection speed goes down to 0, but it's still connected with the network.

2. I didn't really test bluetooth, but I already tranfered files and made phonecalls over bluetooth. The only thing that happend was that while phonecalls the call got unstable sometimes and the people on the other end of the line spoke about some "alien voice", which is because of a connection, but it might also be the fact that my PC is standing on a wall and I'm sitting a bit away from it.

3. It startet to happen about 2 weeks ago. I was able to have the expected speed fully stable before (sometimes it connected to the 2,4GHz network instead of the 5GHz network, but I guess thats not the fault of the hardware and I was able to fix it by reconnecting a few times). It worked fine for about 2 month before the problem started.

4. When the problem started I installed a small Windows Update (it was a patch for something, maybe even an app), but no big update. Also my father resetted the router and restored the old settings. But it can't be the router, since every other device in the same network has no issues. I updated the driver for bluetooth and wifi after the problem occurred and it changed that the connection is more stable now, but still to unstable.

5. No, I did install it by myself. I built the computer from the scratch and it had no wireless adapter before. The only thing I had was a USB, which was extremly slow...

6. No, I didn't. The problem is that this is not my router, it's the router of my father. And to test it all of my family members would have to get out of the wifi for a while.

7. Yes, the router was rebooted. I also tried sharing the same wireless network over USB with my mobile phone, but same issue. First I thought it might be Windows. I don't get any solution over at Microsoft (and I don't get free support except from the community for some reason) and after a bit more testing I found out that when I use a repeater and connect it over LAN with my PC it works fine.

8. We have a Fritzbox 7590 I guess with the newest FritzOS. The repeater is a FritzWLAN Repeater, also with the newest OS.

9. I didn't. The problem wasn't caused by the drivers in the first place so I don't think that older drivers will help, but I'll try.

And I'll attach the report. I had to pack it because html isn't supported. If you want to I can also translate the thread at Microsoft if you want to. It has some additional information.

Thanks for your help!

Gruphius

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Gruphius

Thank you for your response.

Testing an old driver may help to see if the issue is related to specific driver versions, so if you are able to test a rollback to a previous driver version please let us know the outcome.

We have two models of this wireless card, one model (Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200) to be sold to and integrated only by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM), for instance: Dell*, HP*, Lenovo*, etc; and another model "Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit" to be sold to and installed by end-users on regular desktop computers.

The second model (the Desktop Kit) includes in the box: external antenna (2), Standard sized mounting bracket with RF cables installed, Low profile mounting bracket, Installation guide, etc. The first model does not include those accessories. Could you please confirm which one is the exact model you have?

Also, please kindly make sure the wireless card is properly set in the motherboard and that the wireless antennas are correctly plugged.

Based on the router model (FritzOS*), it seems that it only supports wireless standards 802.11a/b/g/n/ac; however, the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 is optimized for the 802.11ax standard.

In this case, if you are connecting to an "ac" network, we recommend you changing the Advanced Wi-Fi adapter settings to "VHT mode or 802.11ac". Please refer to the following link for instructions, section "802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Please also check the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

If the issue persists, please try a clean install of the Wireless driver. Please follow the steps in this link, Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Please install the latest driver Version: 21.90.3:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

After performing the clean install of the driver, we recommend setting again the "Advanced Wi-Fi adapter settings" and the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity".

In addition, it seems that there are newer BIOS updates available for your motherboard MSI*, we recommend checking with their support team if any of these BIOS updates may include fixes to improve functionality with the wireless device:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX

Also, just to make sure we understand correctly, did the Windows® updates and the Router reset happened before or after the issue started?

Note:

Regarding the Intel® SSU report, what we would need is the report to be saved as a .txt file (not the default .html format). To save the report in .txt format please follow these steps:

• Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" dialog below the edit box.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Gruphius
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

Where do I get older drivers? Which version would you recommend?

I'll add the right version of the report, sorry for the inconvenience.

Gruphius

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Gruphius

The old version (trying a rollback) you may try it if you have the option available in Windows® Device Manager. You can restore the previous driver by using the rollback option (Only if the option to roll back driver is not grayed-out):

• Open Device Manager, click Start > Control Panel > Device Manager
  • Expand Wireless Adapters
  • Double-click on your Wireless adapter device
  • Select the Driver tab
  • Click Roll Back Driver to restore

Note: I edited the previous post to add some recommendations; however, to have a better tracking I will add them to this post below:

We have two models of this wireless card, one model (Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200) to be sold to and integrated only by Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM), for instance: Dell*, HP*, Lenovo*, etc; and another model "Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (Gig+) Desktop Kit" to be sold to and installed by end-users on regular desktop computers.

The second model (the Desktop Kit) includes in the box: external antenna (2), Standard sized mounting bracket with RF cables installed, Low profile mounting bracket, Installation guide, etc. The first model does not include those accessories. Could you please confirm which one is the exact model you have?

Also, please kindly make sure the wireless card is properly set in the motherboard and that the wireless antennas are correctly plugged.

Based on the router model (FritzOS*), it seems that it only supports wireless standards 802.11a/b/g/n/ac; however, the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 is optimized for the 802.11ax standard.

In this case, if you are connecting to an "ac" network, we recommend you changing the Advanced Wi-Fi adapter settings to "VHT mode or 802.11ac". Please refer to the following link for instructions, section "802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Please also check the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networki...

If the issue persists, please try a clean install of the Wireless driver. Please follow the steps in this link, Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Please install the latest driver Version: 21.90.3:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

After performing the clean install of the driver, we recommend setting again the "Advanced Wi-Fi adapter settings" and the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity".

In addition, it seems that there are newer BIOS updates available for your motherboard MSI*, we recommend checking with their support team if any of these BIOS updates may include fixes to improve functionality with the wireless device:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PLUS-MAX

Also, just to make sure we understand correctly, did the Windows® updates and the Router reset happened before or after the issue started?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Gruphius

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review the previous recommendations. Should you have additional questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Gruphius

We are checking this thread and we have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now.

If updating Windows, drivers, BIOS or resetting the device did not solve the problem, since you mentioned you integrated the Wireless card, our final recommendation is to check this further with your computer manufacturer OEM and also to review with them regarding the Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade. It is also important to understand that a Wireless integration may not work due to hardware or software compatibility issues or dependencies. For more information please refer to the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Piet
Beginner

I experienced a similar problem with the same family wifi card from my laptop.

I installed the driver utility from Intel and it told me there were 3 updates available,

I skipped the Intel graphics driver hence the display functions normally.

However the driver agent indicated the wifi driver should be updated as well.

I updated the wifi driver hence I experienced some slow connections and hoped it would improve when updating the driver.

Then things got bad.... at first all looked ok and worked like it should but then I started to experience disconnects to my NAS (Synology) and not being able to reconnect (while internet kept working on the same wifi).

These disconnects would happen also while in file transfer operations. Because the NAS is also the real time back-up station (file versions etc.) for my laptop system drive, I had big problems with file integrity as a result of this.

Reconnecting seemed impossible, the NAS was unreachable.... when using from the same laptop, anydesk to remotely go to my other PC and access the NAS from there... it was ok and reachable... so it was not the NAS and not the connection to the router... as said Internet was still up on the same wifi adapter and the other PC could be reached with anydesk, the shared folder with explorer... just the shared folder of the NAS not anymore...

Several of my home movies from the children got corrupted during transfer, luckily it was a copy command and not a move command so I had the original still..

These are not things you want to continue...

I rolled back the driver and all works stable again..... pffffff...

I wonder how it is possible that these kind of errors (see also my post about my optane memory firmware error) exist in the first place.... one might expect to buy quality from a quality firm.... think I will switch next time to AMD powered laptop instead...

0 Kudos
Rogerio7449
Beginner

I am having the same issue, I'm connected, than it disconnects for some seconds (15-20) than it conects again

0 Kudos