Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz upload speed < 1Mbps

JoaoPinto
Beginner

While connecting to a Wifi Repeater WAP for a cabled connection, I get >100 MBps on download and < 1 MBps  on upload . I get a similar magnitude difference on downloads vs uploads while connecting to other APs.

Using a 3rd party USB Wifi dongle  I am able to get > 100 MBps for both download/uploads connect to the same AP from .

This is the built-in wifi card that came with my ThinkPad X1 Extreme 2nd laptop.

Attached you can find my SSU log.

The repeater is FRITZ!Repeater 3000 , described at https://ch.avm.de/produkte/avm-produktvergleich/fritzwlan/fritzwlan-repeater/ , it supports AC+N .

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JoaoPinto

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Since the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 is set as "AX" as 802.11ax as the preferred mode, and the repeater (and perhaps the router?) only supports standards ac and n, we would recommend first setting the Wireless card to VHT mode or 802.11ac mode. Please refer to Advanced Intel® Wireless Adapter Settings, section 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode or HT Mode in the below link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005585/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Also, please review the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity >> https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

You may also try changing the channel settings in the repeater/router and we recommend checking with the manufacturer or provider of the repeater for recommended settings needed to improve the behavior.

If the issue persists, you may try clean install of the wireless driver following these steps:

1- Download the customized drivers from Lenovo* website and save it on the computer: 

2- To avoid Windows® update reinstalling a different driver during the process, disconnect your computer from the Internet.

3- Follow the steps in this link for the Clean Installation of Wireless Driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Note:

If the issue persists, you can repeat the process using the latest generic drivers from Intel: Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Driver package version Version: 21.120.2 >> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29849/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=189347

If none of the previous steps above solves the problem, please kindly provide the following information?

1. How are you monitoring/measuring the download and upload speed? Please provide details and some speed tests screenshots.
  2. Have you checked if this issue happens testing only the laptop and the router? (no other wireless devices connected to the wireless network during this test).
  3. When did it start to happen? Did it work fine before? Were you able to have your wireless connection in a normal/expected performance before? Please provide details.
  4. Do you remember if this issue happened after a new Windows update or Wireless/Bluetooth driver update?
  5. Have you tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?
  6. Have you tested with a router that supports ax standard?

Best regards

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third-party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
JoaoPinto
Beginner

1. I have used http://fast.com and collected screenshots for the following scenarios:

a) Windows using the Intel wifi: fast_intel_windows.png (attached)

b) Linux using the Intel wifi: fast_intel_linux.png (attached)

c)  Windows using a 3rd party usb wifi: fast_usb_windows.png (attached)

2. Yes, I have tested while this device was the only device connected to the router

3. I believe it was behaving as expected until the beginning of this year, but I don't have memory/evidence on this, also because it affects only uploads and my regular activity did not depend so much on uploads it would be unlikely for me to realize the problem.

4. I am not able to associate with any specific update, but as stated above, it's hard for me to assess

5. I have tested with both the Lenovo and Intel latest drivers and applied the recommended configuration for ac connections. No improvement was observed. I will try to test with some older driver.

6. I did not test with an ax router because I don't have one available, I did test with other routers, the same discrepancy between upload/download was observed.

Thanks for your support.

0 Kudos
JoaoPinto
Beginner

Hello,

my previous test with the Intel driver was done with the driver installation being performed using the "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" utility.

I have now installed the driver using the clean installation/manual download procedure, and I am no longer experiencing the problem (screenshot attached). The problem is resolved with the Intel driver 21.120.2.1 .

Thanks for the great support

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JoaoPinto

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JoaoPinto

Thank you for your response. We are glad to know that the clean install of the driver 21.120.2.1 has resolved the problem and we are just following up to make sure the issue is still solved. This problem could be related to requirement of OEM customized driver since it is working with latest Intel® generic driver. If the problem happens again, we recommend checking this with your OEM Lenovo* and ask them for latest customized drivers.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello JoaoPinto

We would like to inform you that we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos