Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Wi-Fi AX201 Bluetooth mouse freeze

SilverGreen93
Novice

Hi,

I have an ASUS ZenBook laptop with AX201 WI-Fi 6 module + integrated BT 5.0 and a Logitech MX Anywhere 3 bluetooth mouse.

Every 10-20 seconds, the mouse pointer freezes for about 1-2 seconds, even if i move it continously (so it does not eneter bluetooth sleep mode). On each freeze, it seems that the commands are buffered (i.e. if I click on the mouse buttons or scroll the wheel during the freeze, the commands are then executed after unfreeze).

This is very annoying and makes my experience very bad with Intel Wireless Bluetooth products, practically the mouse is useless in gaming especially.

I tested the same mouse with a USB bluetooth adapter and there are no freezes there. Only the integrated BT adapter gives me those very frequent freezes.

I have the latest Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver 22.70.2 installed on Windows 10 21H1.

What should I do next? Is this a known issue with this Wi-Fi 6 card?

Thanks,

Mihai

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SilverGreen93
Novice

Thanks Deivid. The suggestion from the Dell forum seems to have been working fine in the last 24 hours. No freezing seen anymore.

For the moment I will use this as a workaround and meanwhile waiting for a future proper fix if available. Not sure if this has any side-effects.

Reposting here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_8087&PID_0026\5&9abad9&0&10\Device Parameters]
"DeviceSelectiveSuspended"=dword:00000000
"SelectiveSuspendEnabled"=dword:00000000
"SelectiveSuspendSupported"=dword:00000000

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SilverGreen93, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html?product=91600 

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is this issue recent? If som when did it started?

3. Is the Wi-Fi working properly?

4. Have you reported the issue to Asus?

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
SilverGreen93
Novice

Thanks for the reply.

1. Here is the SSU log (attached)

2. The laptop is brand new. This issue is from beginning, the only thing I've done is to update the Intel BT driver from 22.60.0 to 22.70.2, because it is stated in the Release notes that "On some systems, Bluetooth mouse movement may not be smooth", which may be related to my issue, although it is clearly not fixed in this version.

3. Yes, I have no issues with the Wi-Fi

4. I haven't reported to Asus, due to the fact that as stated in the release notes, it is most probabily an Intel Driver issue.

Thanks,

Mihai

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SilverGreen93, 

Based on the information provided, please try the following:

1. Clean installation of the Intel drivers:

- Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless/intel-wireless-products.html

- driver: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10.html

2. Check with Asus for a BIOS update.

3. Try with the driver from Asus and check if the issue persists.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
SilverGreen93
Novice

Hi Deivid,

I tried the following versions (clean installed, rebooted PC):

BT 21.90.2.1 - Asus

BT 22.10.0.2 - Asus

BT 22.30.0.4 - Asus

BT 22.70.2 - Intel

All of them have the same issue.

No other update available in Asus app. Bios is up-to-date.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SilverGreen93, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SilverGreen93, 

To resolve the issue you are experiencing, you might need a BIOS fix from your Laptop manufacturer or a potential bug fix in the Windows 10 OS. While we request you to contact your laptop manufacturer for the latest BIOS updates and fix; Intel is working with Microsoft to find a resolution for the issue with similar symptoms. However, if an OS (operating system) fix is required then this might take time. 

Meanwhile, some other users reported a workaround and we notice that you've confirmed it works for your system:

- https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-i7-Gen-11-Bluetooth-issues/m-p/1274894#M35317

Also, you can try the following:

1. Check if the latest Asus drivers are installed.

2. Check that the latest BIOS is installed.

3. Check with Asus for further support if the previous steps did not work.

Regards,   

Deivid A. 

SilverGreen93
Novice

Thanks Deivid. The suggestion from the Dell forum seems to have been working fine in the last 24 hours. No freezing seen anymore.

For the moment I will use this as a workaround and meanwhile waiting for a future proper fix if available. Not sure if this has any side-effects.

Reposting here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_8087&PID_0026\5&9abad9&0&10\Device Parameters]
"DeviceSelectiveSuspended"=dword:00000000
"SelectiveSuspendEnabled"=dword:00000000
"SelectiveSuspendSupported"=dword:00000000

0 Kudos
Simon8
Beginner

This registry fix seems to work for me. Mouse is now responsive with no delays.

0 Kudos
Simon8
Beginner

I have Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 hardware with the exact same problem.

The latest version of the driver (22.70.2) acknowledges the problem in the release notes and state the issue has been fixed.

However after installing this driver the problem still occurs.

The only 'solution' I have found is to play music through my Bluetooth headset - this seems to stop the problem.

I believe the issue is due to 'aggressive power management' of driver/firmware.

Lets hope Intel can be bothered to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
chris_swiss
Novice

Hi @Simon8 

The Windows update KB5005611 was able to significantly reduce the lagging problem, but no hint in the list of bug fixes. However, there are still small delays in mouse movement, when clicking or when scrolling. When writing there are no longer endless repetitions of characters, but from time to time there are double letters instead of one.

When I play music on the bluetooth speaker, not the slightest problem. When I use BT mouse and keyboard on other notebooks, an absolutely flawless and fluid work experience.

I also tried the Registry-Hack. It solved the problems, but my notebook got warmer, even in Standby. So I reverted the Reg-Settings.

My thread can be found here.

0 Kudos
Simon8
Beginner

FYI: Playing music prevents the Bluetooth module (attached to motherboard) from going into suspend state.

The 'registry hack' only prevents the Bluetooth module from using the 'Selective Suspend' feature, so I doubt it will cause any thermal issues (i.e. cpu usage!). I have not noticed any on my system. Also the entries do not seem to cause any issues with my laptop going to sleep as normal.

More info can be found at: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/usbcon/selective-suspend-in-usb-drivers-wdf

0 Kudos
chris_swiss
Novice

When I view the devices by connections, the registry customization applies to the host controller and all of the devices under it (like Bluetooth). That would explain why Intel attributes the problem to USB: "This behavior of the Bluetooth mouse and its symptoms seem to indicate one of 2 problems related to USB."

I'm not a technician, but the fact that users have been reporting this problem for months in several forums and it has still not been satisfactorily resolved makes me a little suspicious.

0 Kudos
Simon8
Beginner

No, that is not correct. The registry entries apply only to the Bluetooth module NOT the USB host controller. "VID_8087&PID_0026" identifies the Intel Bluetooth module (you can verify this by checking the properties in device manager).

0 Kudos
chris_swiss
Novice

Hi @Simon8 

Yes you are right. Was it not possible in the past to make these settings for the BT adapter directly via the GUI?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SilverGreen93, 

I am glad to hear that the suggestion from the DELL forums worked for you, if you present the issue again I recommend you and @Simon8 to open a new thread in order to received appropriate support.

Regards,    

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos