Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

WiFi connection problem with AC 9560

chewygum
Beginner

Good day, 

I'm experiencing troubles with WiFi conncection as it is randomly disconnected and it won't connect again (after Microsoft updates on 14th Nov). All other devices (in my home) worked well with the WiFi, except my laptop (Dell Inspiron 7386). 

I have done the following:-

• rebooted the WiFi router
  • uninstalled the WiFi adaptor driver
  • hard reboot on my laptop
  • updated the latest Bluetooth & WiFi drivers (from the intel website) 

The problem is not resolved, however the connection is presumably stable for now after I've installed the current version of WiFi driver(21.10.2.2) . I have attached the SSU report. Kindly assist. 

0 Kudos
23 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What you did about it was pretty close to correct. Unfortunately, that hard reboot gave Windows Update a chance to get in the way. Follow these steps exactly to get it right:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29902 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29919.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings". 
  5. Manually reboot your computer.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 9560. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Dual-Band Wireless-AC 9560 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Scott,

Thank you very much for your technical advices. I have tried and followed the steps as stated, after restarting the notebook, the notebook displayed the Blue Screen of Death (Stop Code: Sytem Thread Exception Not Handled). Spent some time searching for solutions and finally it was resolved. The notebook is currently back to normal boot up. I have installed the latest Bluetooth driver (ver 22.0.0.2) and WiFi driver (ver 22.0.0.6), and I ran the SSU on my system. From the new SSU report, I've noticed the WiFi driver version was printed :"10.0.19041.1" instead of 22.0.0.6. Is this correct?

I have attached the old SSU report(before the re-install) and new SSU report(after the new drivers installation).

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What was the cause of this BSOD? Was it anything to do with the Intel packages?

I presume you actually meant the "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)" section. This is a Microsoft driver, so it is normal to see the version field contain 10.0.19041.1. The WiFi driver (which is under "Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560") is properly displaying 22.0.0.6 in its version field.

So I see WiFi is now connected at a much lower speed (294/195 vs. 650/650). Is this just happenstance (for example, distance from router changed)? Are you still having connection issues?

...S

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Scott,

Thank you for your follow up on this issue.  

I think it could be due to the Bluetooth or WiFi drivers, as the error have printed : "Netwtw08.sys Failed". 

From yesterday night till this morning, there has not been WiFi disconnection on my notebook and there was no change to the router position. Might be due to high (WiFi) traffic at the time when I run the SSU. I have just tested it the speed is 866/866.  

In the SSU report, under "Networking", it printed :-
Intel ® Network Connections Install Options:"Not Available"
Intel ® Network Connections Version:"Not Available"
Intel ® PROSet/Wireless Software Version:"Not Available"

Would there any concern for the above stating "Not available"?

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Scott,

I have experienced the WiFi disconnection this evening. Therefore, I've uninstalled the driver (Intel latest ver 22.0.0.6) and the current WiFi driver is 21.110.2.1 (supposedly is Microsoft driver). Any advices? 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What is your router? 

The release notes for 22.0.0 indicate that the following fixes were included:

• When connected to a Wi-Fi 6 network with 802.11r Fast Roaming is enable, random disconnections occur in enterprise environments.
  • Windows* Stop Errors (BSOD) may occur which are associated the Intel Wireless driver.
  • When connecting a Wi-Fi 6 adapter to a Wi-Fi 6 Hotspot, the hotspot network information shows connection type as 802.11AC (Wi-Fi 5).
  • Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software 22.0.0 has been updated to include functional and security updates. Users should update to the latest version.

So, in theory, it has the fixes you needed for your previous issues, but, unless you have Fast Roaming enabled (which you should turn off), there are outstanding issues (sigh!). 

The release previous to 22.0.0 is 21.120.2, not the 21.110.2 that you are seeing in the Microsoft catalog. You can try it as an alternative if you need to. If you do, remember that I always recommend that (a) you install and uninstall the Wireless and Bluetooth packages as a matched set and (b) you install the Bluetooth package first. Packages are here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29849 and here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29876.

...S

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Scott,

I am using Asus RT AC86U router. In this router, I wouldnt be able to disable the Fast Roaming feature, however I have changed to WPA (TKIP) instead of WPA2. I have re-installed the latest Bluetooth & WiFi drivers (ver 22.0.0) and so far there hasn't been any disconnection. I will monitor and keep you updated. 

Thank you for your advices. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
I hope that was a typo and you meant "WPA2 (TKIP)". WPA (1) security has been broken and there are tools that can break in in a few seconds.
...S
0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Hi Scott,

No typo, I am currently using WPA (TKIP + AES)  instead of WPA 2 Personal. I've read about "Fast Roaming" should be disable when using WPA2- Personal, however I could not find any options to disable it. Therefore, I switch to using WPA (TKIP+AES) instead. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

But can't you choose TKIP (and/or) AES when you choose WPA2 Enterprise? Hhmmm, does "Fast Roaming" apply when using WPA2 Enterprise?

I don't know the answer...   8^S

@Albert_R_Intel/@Ronny_G_Intel  - Would it be possible to collect these tidbits (like disabling "Fast Roaming" and routers the AX200/AX201/etc. are having problems working with) and post them in a living document?

...S

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Scott,

For ASUS RT AC86U router, there is no other options besides "AES" when one chose WPA2 Personal or Enterprise. 

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Scott,

An update on the status, the WiFi adaptor was disconnected this afternoon although the notebook was connected to a WPA (TKIP+AES). I followed the steps to re-install the Bluetooth & WiFi drivers. 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, sorry, I haven't heard anything new. This is the weekend and, for the Intel U.S folks, the Thanksgiving long weekend (i.e. off Thursday - Sunday). They will be back in the office (most virtually, of course) tomorrow.

...S

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Scott,

Thank you for your reply. Wishing you a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving! Hope you have a great year ahead. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

chewygum, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

N. Scott Pearson, in reference to your request, "@Albert_R_Intel / @Ronny_G_Intel - Would it be possible to collect these tidbits (like disabling "Fast Roaming" and routers the AX200/AX201/etc. are having problems working with) and post them in a living document? 

Just to let you know, we will send your suggestions and observations to the proper department for them to be aware of your comments to hopefully in the future to have the document that you are asking for.

chewygum, you mentioned, "the WiFi adaptor was disconnected this afternoon although the notebook was connected to a WPA (TKIP+AES). I followed the steps to re-install the Bluetooth & WiFi drivers". 

Go ahead and test the Wireless connection and please let us if the problem remains after re-installing those drivers.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Alberto,

Thank you for your reply. The AC 9560 (Code 10 error) was disconnected from the WiFi network just before I reply your email. I have uninstalled and re-installed the Bluetooth & AC 9560 drivers. I have changed the Asus router setting back to WPA2 (AES). I have attached the SSU report. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

chewygum, You are very welcome, thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support and for providing the report.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform.

Not sure if you already test the Dell driver previously, but we can tryto install the Wireless driver provided by Dell which is version 21.110.2.1, A24, it seems the same version as you mentioned before from the Microsoft Catalog, still, try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the link below and once you get the chance please let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-io/wireless.html

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=1crr8&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-13-7386-2-in-1-laptop

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Alberto,

I have re-installed the Bluetooth driver and done a clean installation of WiFi driver. After installation of the Dell provided drivers, there is no WiFi connection and AC9560 is having error Code 10. Therefore, I uninstalled  both the Bluetooth and AC 9560 drivers, and re-installed with Intel ver 22.0.0, but there is no WiFi connection too. I am currently connected using LAN.  

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi chewygum, thank you very much for providing that information and the pictures.

For this scenario, just for you to know, there are new Intel® Wireless drivers that were released yesterday, so, please uninstall all the current Bluetooth and Wireless drivers installed on the computer and then install Intel® wireless driver version 22.10.0, once you do that test the system that way, without installing the Bluetooth driver yet:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30057/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=99446

Then after testing the computer that way, install Intel® Bluetooth driver version 22.10.0:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30061/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=99446

After that, once you get the chance, please let us know if the Wireless connection worked fine with just the Wireless driver installed and then got defective after installing the Bluetooth driver, or that it never worked fine not even after installing just the Intel® Wireless driver, or if now it is working fine with both drivers installed.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
chewygum
Beginner

Good day Alberto,

I have followed steps as per your advice. However, it didnt work out, there is no WiFi connection after installing the new Intel wireless driver 22.10.0. (see pics)

I did the following steps:-

1) Uninstall the Bluetooth & AC 9560 drivers

2) Hard shutdown the notebook

3) Disconnected the battery in the notebook (reconnect it after 10mins)

4) Reboot the notebook and reinstall the new Intel drivers for Bluetooth and WiFi

After performing the above steps, the AC 9560 is able to connect to the WiFi, HOPE it will still function after I restart the notebook tomorrow.    

I have attached the SSU report. 

0 Kudos