Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Wifi 6 AX200 not connecting to my router 5G

AVazq11
Beginner

I can see the 5G Wifi of my router but my laptop doesn't connect. To the 2,4G Wifi the laptop is connecting with no problems. Other devices connect to the 5G.

I've try to connect using the router's WPS button an also the password that I've copied directly from the router's configuration (so password is correct).

The router is a ZTE F680. 5G has mixed 802.11a+802.11n+802.11ac mode with a maximum bandwith of 80Mhz.

I got the driver version 21.80.2.1 with date 25/02/2020 (the latest as far I'm concerned).

My SO is a Windows 10 Home with the latest updates.

Things I've tried that didn't work:

• Change the Wifi 6 AX200 mode to 802.11ac and 802.11n
  • Uninstall and install WiFi 21.80.2 driver

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
22 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Did you try changing the range from 160Hz down to 80Hz?

...S

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for the advice.

It uses automatic range: This is suppose to use 20/40/80/160 MHz depending on the router.

There is also an option to manual set it to 20Mhz. I've done that with no luck.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Need more system info. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and save the report to a file. Then, using the paperclip icon below the edit window, upload and attach this file to a response post.

...S

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Hi again,

Thanks for your support. You'll find the SSU report in the attached file.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Well, I am not seeing anything obvious. Anyone else see anything?

...S

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Thanks anyway for your help.

It's odd. I don't understand why I cannot connect to the 5G. Maybe it's something in the router's config but it shouldn't. Other devices connect to the 5G with no problem. I'll test with another 5G connection when I'll have the opportunity.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AVazq11,

We would like to jump in and provide some recommendations. First, please provide us with the following information:

• Did it work before, and now it doesn't work? If yes, has anything changed on the computer since that time? For example, has the access point or environment changed?
  • Did the Intel® Wireless Adapter come pre-installed in the computer?
  • Do you change settings or parameters one at a time?
  • Are both your Wi-Fi AP (i.e. wireless router) and your client (i.e. device) using the same Wi-Fi standard and configuration when you make changes?
  • Could you please confirm if the AP/router supports the 802.11ax standard?

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

Thanks for your help! Here goes my answers:

• Did it work before, and now it doesn't work? If yes, has anything changed on the computer since that time? For example, has the access point or environment changed?

No, it never worked before. I'm using a 1 week new laptop. Win 10 was pre-installed and 5G wasn't working at that time. I did all the windows updates and I tried to connect again with no luck.

After that, as I've described in the original post, I've tried some alternative router and device configurations and also I did uninstall and re-install the Wifi 6 AX200 driver.

As reminder: 2,4G is working fine with the device. Others devices, as my phone, uses the 5G with no issues.

• Did the Intel® Wireless Adapter come pre-installed in the computer?

Yes, it was pre-installed.

• Do you change settings or parameters one at a time?

Yes, I do. I've tried to change a different set of "key" parameters trying one each time. After the test, I put this changed value as it was before.

• Are both your Wi-Fi AP (i.e. wireless router) and your client (i.e. device) using the same Wi-Fi standard and configuration when you make changes?

I try to do that. In the router's configuration and in the device, some options are marked as mixed so it's expected to work with different set of options.

For example, my router is working on a mixed mode 802.11a+802.11n+802.11ac. I've forced my device to use 802.11ac mode and also 802.11n mode, but I didn't change the router's mode as it's suppose to already work with this modes.

• Could you please confirm if the AP/router supports the 802.11ax standard?

No, the router doesn't support 802.11ax standard. It works with 802.11ac and the bandwidth is limited to 80Mhz.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AVazq11,

Thank you for your response.

According to the report, it seems that you are using a generic driver. Could you please let us know if this issue occurs when using the customized driver provided by HP? These drivers include changes and customizations to ensure hardware functionality.

Please perform a clean installation of the latest drivers, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, using the steps available in the following link:

Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers

We found the following drivers using the information available inthe report. Please let us know if this is the correct computer model.

Software and drivers for OMEN by HP 15-dh0016ns

Bluetooth 21.70.0.3 Rev.A

Wi-Fi 21.80.1.1 Rev.P

If the issue persists, please perform a clean installation of the latest generic drivers available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/.

After that, please try using the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Hello again,

Thanks for the response and for your support! I really appreciate it.

TL;DR; None of the suggested solutions worked :(

First I did a clean installation of the HP drivers (Yes, the model is correct). I checked that the device was using the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

I tried both 802.11ac and 802.11n modes but the device was unable to connect to the 5G. Bluetooth and 2,4G were working fine.

I did again a clean installation using this time the latest Intel's generic drivers. I checked again the 802.11ac recommended settings. I tried both 802.11ac and 802.11n modes but still the device was unable to connect to the 5G. Bluetooth and 2,4G were working fine.

Following your advice, I've finally made a clean installation of HP drivers to ensure hardware functionality.

I'm attaching my router's config if that may help. Also my device config and a new SSU report.

hp_ac_mode.PNGhp_network_adapters.PNG5G_security_settings.PNG5G_Basic_settings.PNG

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Here is the new SSU report. I didn't find the option to change the attached file in my last reply.

Thanks again for the help!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AVazq11,

Thank you for the update. We will look into this issue.

Is there any chance you can try to connect your computer to another AP/router or 5 GHz network for testing purposes?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Hello,

Yes, this is something I need to do. I'll see if I can do the test this WE or during next week. I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AVazq11,

Are you able to provide us with an update?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

Yes, I have some updates.

I've configured a 5G AP using my phone which is connected to the router's 5G (same my laptop is not able to connect). It work like a charm. My device connect to my phone's AP with no issues.

I've also checked the windows WLAN-AutoConfig logs to try to find a reason.

I've found that when I try to connect to the router's 5G:

1. It says that PSK do not match with a SecurityHintCode 294932
  2. Error -> FailureReason Operation Cancelled ReasonCode 229377

I've had no luck trying to find more info about these errors an codes.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AVazq11,

Thank you for the information you have provided.

Please allow us to look into this issue.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Thanks Wanner,

I've another update that maybe may raise more clarity to the issue.

I've installed a Linux distro in another partition. After searching a little to find the right AX200 driver, I'm able to connect to the router's 5G.

So it seems that the issue may come from some kind of incompatibility from the windows drivers with my ZTE F680 router? I'm just guessing here.

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AVazq11,

Thank you for the update.

Wi-Fi driver package 21.90.3 (driver version 21.90.3.2) was recently released.

Please perform a clean installation of both the latest Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers, and let us know if the issue persists.

Windows* 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters Version: 21.90.3

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Version: 21.90.2

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
AVazq11
Beginner

Hello Wanner,

Thanks for your answer!

I didn't update the driver because since yesterday the issue seems to be solved. I don't understand why it's working now since I didn't make any changes. Maybe my internet provider pushed an update on the router that I'm not aware of.

Anyway I'll make a system backup just in case it cease to work.

Thanks very much for your help! I really wish I had a better answer for you since you gave many options to try to find the root of the problem...

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello AVazq11,

When having wireless issues, this could be caused by the AP/router, faulty hardware, driver, OS configuration, or even a Windows* update. For this reason, it is recommended to verify the parameters being used in both the client and AP/router.

We are glad to know that the issue was resolved. We appreciate your feedback.

We will close this thread. If you need further assistance, please start a new thread, and we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos