Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Wifi card 9560-AC irregular signal problems

Jules777
Novice

Hi I bought a MSI p65 1 year ago with a Intel 9560-AC wifi card and I have had nothing but problems with my wifi.  With a 5ghz connection sometimes it will pull 300mb and then over time drop to close to zero and starts giving me error messages.  When I switch to 2ghz network this sometimes provides a more stable connection, but I have 1G internet and speeds at 2ghz are very slow.  Every other device in the house has no problems with the network, just my laptop.  I thought it may be a bad chip so I even had it replaced!! This worked for 1 week, starting at 300mbs and then now its cutting down to zero.  I have tried everything, new drivers old drivers, starting, restarting, every possible setting or solution I can find on the internet is exhausted.  I have spent hours and hours trying to solve and nothing works and I have not been able to find any consistent reason for the failure.  Its almost like something random frees it up periodically and then bam! 300mbs/sec and then over a week something else starts bogging it down squeezing it more and more until nothing.  I have all but given up on finding a solution for this.  please help if you can.  But I have to honest I have low hopes on this one.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jules777,

There is some additional information needed that might help get a resolution. Would you give some details on your router or access point such as model, but nothing security detailed? Also, how many other wireless devices are simultaneously accessing the wireless?

Also, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility. Run the SSU, leave the defaults, click Scan, then Next until you get to save the file. Then post back with the file as an attachment. The SSU can be downloaded here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

0 Kudos
Jules777
Novice

Hi my wifi router is model century link Zyxel C3000Z, there are 6 devices attached. But this issue has been happening since I got the Laptop when there was only 2 device connected.  And Like I said, all other devices are pulling consistent and fast internet speeds. 

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jules,

While using the laptop are there any devices connected to the Bluetooth? If so what are they?

Have you tried disabling the Bluetooth adapter in Device Manager or from Settings / Devices / Bluetooth Off? I am curious of that changes the performance of the network adapter.

0 Kudos
Jules777
Novice

Hi,

Yes I have a logitech mouse and keyboard and Razer headphones all on bluetooth.    I disabled my bluetooth, restarted my computer and tried connecting to the 5ghz network.  I connected and ran 4 speed tests.  The first one was 90mb/s, second one was 120mb/s third was 167mb/s and then I lost the connection the internet quit loading and I had to switch to my 2ghz network.   So the same results as I have with my bluetooth devices connected.

-Julian

0 Kudos
Jules777
Novice

Hi,

One more thing that I have tried.

I bought an external wifi card Techkey AC-1200 I set it up and its pulling 216mb/s down consistently, which is also the same speeds my phone is pulling from the network.   As soon as I unplug it, and switch to my internal card, the same thing happens it connects to the network for a second then drops it completely.  It is very strange, after I had the internal card replaced last week it was hitting 260mb/s to 300mb/s no problem, im thinking "great the issue was a faulty card" but then 1 week later im back to square one with the internal card.

let me know if you have any more ideas.

maybe I will try a clean install of windows?

Thanks,

-Jules

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Jules,

I doubt a reinstall of Windows is going to resolve this. Actually, there is a nifty feature in Windows 10 named Network reset. Go to Settings, Network & Internet, and at the bottom of the page you should the Network reset. I believe it logs you out and takes a few minutes to complete - I know it isn't instantaneous. That would save you from having to reinstall the OS.

The fact that you had a working adapter but only for a few days makes me suspect of something other than the adapter. If you are okay with the USB adapter you may elect to stick with that. On the other hand, if this is covered by warranty I would surely be in touch with the vendor.

Other things you can try is forcing the adapter to an A connection versus AC. That should still put you in the ballpark of high capacity for the wireless. Another thing to try would be if one of the PCs can make a 5 GHz hotspot, or even a mobile phone, just for testing.

Have you tested anything with the Bluetooth to be sure it is working properly?

0 Kudos
Jules777
Novice

Thanks for you help!

I tried network reset, and the other suggestions, no change in connectivity.  I am not sure but I think that my laptop signal is just very easily interrupted by other devices.  When other devices are not connected to the router I can pull speeds of 400mbps.  When other devices are on it seems that the signal just gets worse and worse.  The external wifi card lets me at least keep a stable connection even if its only 100mbps thats better than the 2.4ghz network speed so I will just have to live with it for now.  My warranty is expired so im not going to go that route.

Thanks again,

-Julian 

0 Kudos