Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wifi connection application Windows

idata
Employee

Hello,

I'm using windows 10 64bit with Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (driver version 15.18.0.1 - windows says it's up to date).

Normally one connects through the windows flyout (Flyout -> click connect).

Yet for troubleshooting I would like to connect through a Wifi via other than windows software.

I read somewhere that Intel PROSet/Wireless Software does just that.

Yet I don't seem to get this software to work and Intel website is very confusing:

- if you search for PROSet/Wireless Software there's like 100 versions of it

- manuals for this software seem to be non existing

First I tried the software from this page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26171 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10

This page mentions a list: 'This download is valid for the product(s) listed below'. My centrino is not listed. Am I installing the wrong software?

It installed nicely but when starting I only see an import button. If I click it wants me to select a file with extension p10,p50,profile. I managed to export the windows wifi profiles but these are in xml. So what's the deal here?

I reinstalled this software and selected custom install and chose to install the additionale features (I installed all features).

I got an extra button giving me the possibility to create some executable installation file for profiles.

Yet I'm just looking for some alternative to the windows flyout.

The windows 7 version did mention my centrino under 'This download is valid for the product(s) listed below'. So I tried this. Same result.

From this page I got the idea of using the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admin. I got to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26174 Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for IT Admins. This gives me some zip file that I can extract. But what do I have to do next? I clicked both executables in the extracted zip file: DPInst64.exe installed some drivers. What drivers? iprodifx.exe did nothing.

This same page also mentions the 'Intel® PROSet/Wireless Advanced Enterprise Software', yet there seems not to be such a software in the intel website.

So to round up:

- I'm looking for a wifi connection software program

- Is Intel PROSet/Wireless Software the answer?

- If yes: how do I get it to work?

- If no: does anybody know of a (free) software alternative?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello BDesco,

In Windows® 10, we recommend using the Wireless Networks manager built-in the OS. We do not provide nor support additional tools to manage wireless connections.

The tool you mentioned was Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility, that was an alternative to manage wireless connections and create wireless profiles; it was available with older versions of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software.

Usage of Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility has been deprecated, and is not available at all for Windows® 10.

The IT admin packages you mention allow you to create custom driver packages and preset wireless profiles, however, the management of wireless networks in Windows® 10 is still handled by the OS.

Regards,

Jonathan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
idata
Employee

Hello BDesco,

In Windows® 10, we recommend using the Wireless Networks manager built-in the OS. We do not provide nor support additional tools to manage wireless connections.

The tool you mentioned was Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility, that was an alternative to manage wireless connections and create wireless profiles; it was available with older versions of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software.

Usage of Intel® PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility has been deprecated, and is not available at all for Windows® 10.

The IT admin packages you mention allow you to create custom driver packages and preset wireless profiles, however, the management of wireless networks in Windows® 10 is still handled by the OS.

Regards,

Jonathan
0 Kudos