Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Wifi device 8265 disconnects

BGonz7
Beginner

Hello,

I bought my new Yoga 720 a few weeks ago, and I am experiencing some troubles to connect to Wifi, and it is the only way to connect the computer to the network. The connection is random as sometimes, it will be connected at very high rate and working fine (such as now), but other times, there will be no access and Windows will show no wifi networks available. Sometimes, the device is shown as disconnected in the device manager and when restarting it comes back (but still no conection).

I have tried many solutions, such as:

- Run Windows Repair Tool

- Run Restore Network from Windows 10 (which disconnects every network adapter, restart and installs all the adapters again).

- Remove Firewall.

- Disable the RSC and decreasing the MTU speed from 1500 to 1400, and checked that other input in configuration are OK with Intel, Windows and Lenovo configurations

- Download the latest driver from intel (which is more recent 20.0 vs 19.50.1 installed).

- Repeat the previous steps with the new driver.

- Check for other updates: I updated the BIOS with the latest version from Lenovo for this computer.

- Run all the previous steps (changing the drivers type).

Today I have reinstalled Windows again from the beginning, first keeping my files, and secondly without keeping my files, but still having the same problem. I have checked everything I could, from BIOS to Windows and uninstalling every program to avoid any conflict, but still connection is not reliable. Do you know what can be happening, and what could be the solution?

Thank you in advance,

Regards.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
idata
Employee

New-User,

Considering all the troubleshooting you've provided, it may be necessary a clean installation of the drivers provided by Lenovo*. For your convenience, here is the link to it: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/nl/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/yoga-series/yoga-720-15ikb/downloads Yoga 720-15IKB Laptop (ideapad). *There seem to be another version of this laptop as such: https://support.lenovo.com/nl/en/downloads/ds120591 Yoga 720-13IKB (Type 80x6) please, confirm with Lenovo which version of this system you have.

Here are the instructions on how to proceed with a clean installation using the drivers provided by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM)

1. Download and save the drivers from the manufacturer that correspond your system:

2. Uninstall the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software as per steps a, b and c below.

a) - Open Programs and Features (Uninstall a program) from the Control Panel.

b) - Select Uninstall or Change and then Remove.

c) - When prompted, choose to discard settings.

3. Uninstall the current wireless driver. Please note that Windows* may support the adapter with it own inbox drivers. You cannot uninstall an inbox driver. Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it's uninstalled.

a) - Go to Device Manager.

b) - Expand the Network Adapters category.

c) - Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

d) - Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.

4. Clear out your temporary files.

a) - Press the Windows* key and R key simultaneously to open the run box.

b) - Type in: cleanmgr.exe and press the Enter key or OK.

c) - Place a check mark next to Temporary Files. You can leave everything else checked or unchecked.

d) - Press OK and wait.

5. Reboot your computer.

6. Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator and follow the wizard to completion.

(Optional Step) Apply the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity.

*If after applying all the steps above to the letter and you notice the issue still persists, our best recommendation is to engage Lenovo* support for additional assistance. The very links to the drivers has the option to obtain support from the OEM directly.

Best regards,

Aleki
idata
Employee

New-User,

If the adapter is not seeing other networks, you need to check in which band it is set to. If it is using 5.0GHz only, it is most likely that it won't see other networks since they may be operating at 2.4GHz. Please try this solution as well: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005544/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity

You can also do the following: Go to Device Manager >> Wireless Adapter >> select the wireless adapter and then right click on it and open Properties. Once you're there, select the tab that says Advanced and the proceed to the instructions below to the letter.

1. Set the "Wireless Mode" to "802.11 a/b/g". (Choose the wireless mode according to the support mode of your router).

2. Set the "Preferred Band" to "Prefer 2.4GHz band".

3. Set the "HT Mode" to "HT Mode" for 802.11n compatibility. (VHT Mode is for 802.11ac compatibility).

4. Set the "802.11n Channel Width for 2.4GHz" to limited "20MHz". PS: 20MHz has smaller bandwidth than 40MHz, but it has better penetration capabilities which improves the connection signal.

5. Lastly, set up these two properties can improve the quality of the wireless connection.

a) - Set the value of "Roaming Aggressiveness" to "Lowest ".

b) - Set the value of "Ad Hoc QoS Mode" to "WMM Disabled"

Best regards,

Aleki

BGonz7
Beginner

Dear Aleki,

Thank you very much for your support and your prompt answer. After cleaning the temporary files and re-installing the drivers, it seems that the connection has been improved. I put the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024678/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity, as my router supports 5GHz Channel. For the comming days, I will test the wifi reliability keeping in mind that if the connection starts to fail, using 2.4 GHz might be a solution.

Thanks again for your support.

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

New-User,

It is our pleasure to assist you. We are here should you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Aleki
0 Kudos
BGonz7
Beginner

Dear Aleki,

Yesterday wifi was working fine, but today, connecting to any network has become a nightmare again. I believe that I have found the source of error. I have tried to reinstall the drivers again, as you wrote in you previous messages, and I noticed that versions are slightly different. When installing Lenovo drivers the version of Netwtw04 file is from 02/20/2017 version nb 19.50.0.11 and Windows default version is from 06/01/2017 version nb 15.50.1.6.

I believe that the version from Windows may have been updated in last Windows "Fall Creators Update", and then causing the malfunction on my wifi device. What can I do now? Should I contact Lenovo for the updating (this can be a major issue for all Yoga 720 13IKV computers) or Microsoft (Windows updating may have cause the malfunction)?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello New-User,

For a driver release containing Windows® 10 Fall Creators Update (RS3)* certified drivers, please update to our latest Wireless PROSet release, version 20.10.2.

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27309/Wireless-Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-10?v=t Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10 Version: 20.10.2

If the issue continues with these drivers, let us know so that we can continue to work towards resolving the problem.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BGonz7
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

After trying this new update I still have the connection that fails. The device was showing as disconnected in the device manager, and after restart, connection problems persists. It starts by the system which only sees my connection network despite having many in my building, and then it gets disconnected with the network icon showing networks available but no networks on the network list. Running Windows solver sometimes helps to restore the connection, but the action is limited on time... I have reverted to Windows drivers 19.50.1.6, that had slighly better performance, but still poor.

In parallel, I contacted Lenovo technical assistance, wich is guiding me towards deleting Windows drivers to instal the Lenovo drivers as per their web page. but I am a bit reluctant to erase a Windows file. I have ssen that Lenovo released couple of days ago new drivers version for the Yoga 15IKB (not my computer), but may be this is under going issue that Lenovo is working on, and not only afecting to Yoga 13IKB computers.

Regards

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello New-User,

Thanks for the update.

To answer the question from your previous post. Even though the issue was brought along by the Fall Creators Update, it's always better to rely on your computer manufacturer (OEM) as your primary resource for support. Our wireless adapters are customized by your OEM, making their drivers the best option, our generic versions are a good alternative or troubleshooting option.

In the mean time, we would like to dig deeper into this from our side. To confirm, does this issue only occur with the Windows® 10 Fall Creators Update (OS version 1709, build 16299), or did it start with a previous update?

1. Please download and run the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293 Intel® System Support Utility.

2. Select to scan "everything," and run the scan while connected to your wireless network.

3. Save the report and attach it to your reply.

Note: To enable attachments, make sure to switch to the advanced editor while replying.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BGonz7
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

Since saturday I am running with last version of intel drivers, still having some issues, but at least the connection and the drivers stability are better: Windows solver will reinstall the device each time the system gets no connection, but at least this "solution" is fast and the connection returns back for a certain time.

To answer you question, since the computer was bought short time before Windows Creators Fall Update, I cannot be sure if it was working so bad. Although I am pretty sure that before the big update I had not so many problems with the connection.

Then, I have run Intel Utility, but since this is a public discussion, I prefer sending all the data of my computer and network through mail. Can you give me your contact adress or write me a mail?

Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

New-User,

Please check your private messages.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello New-User,

Based on the SSU reports provided, it's possible that your wireless adapter may be defective or failing.

With this in mind, we can still recommend some additional troubleshooting in hopes that this is not the case.

1. Try switching to a "driver only" installation through a clean installation method:
    1. Download and extract our latest IT Admin driver for your adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27312 WiFi_20.10.2_Driver64_Win10.zip
    2. Under Programs and Features in the Control Panel, uninstall any instance of the "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software." When prompted, choose to "discard settings."
    3. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and uninstall it. Make sure to mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device."
    4. Clear out your temporary files: Press the Windows* Key + R to open the run box. Type Cleanmgr.exe and press OK. Here you will need to make sure Temporary Files are checked, you may uncheck everything else and press OK.
    5. Go to the Device Manager > Network Adapters > Right click on your Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 again, this time choose to "Update driver software..." > Select the option to "Locate and install driver software manually." Here you will need to direct the wizard to the location where you extracted the IT Admin package back in step one.
    6. Reboot your computer.
  2. If the issue continues, you could try reinstalling your operating system to discard a wider corruption issue. If done this way, there is an option to keep your files. However, any programs would need to be reinstalled afterwards, you will also need to reinstall your wireless drivers one more time.
    1. Go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC > Get started, and choose an option.
      1. Keep my files: Re-installs Windows® 10 and keeps your personal files. Removes apps and drivers you installed, and changes you made to settings. Also removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows® 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
      2. Remove everything: Re-installs Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.

If the issue continues even after having reinstalled the OS (or if you're not willing to go that far), our recommendation will be to engage your computer manufacturer for warranty support.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BGonz7
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

I have tried all I could, from checking Windows via DISM command, to an installation from an image that had only 15 days after buying the computer. The problem was still there. I have investigated a little bit further what happens on the device manager. I noticed that each time I have a connexion, all devices are working well. In most of the cases, when connexion drops down the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface turns to disconnected and error Code 45 appears. This error corresponds to "device is not connected" while everything else stays connected. As this device is hidden I did not see it before... Other times is "Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter" that shows an exclammation sign (This device is also hidden...).

To make the connection work again, I deactivate the device "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265", I re-activate again, and wait until the Teredo device shows connected again. Then the connexion comes back.

¿Could it be an incompatibility between Intel controller and Windows (Teredo or other interface)?

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello New-User,

What happens if you were to disable the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface while it and your connection are working?

The Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter relates to Wi-Fi direct and Miracast, which is why it's usually hidden.

The Teredo interface is a bit tougher to explain, this thread does a good job on that: https://superuser.com/questions/22290/what-is-the-teredo-tunneling-pseudo-interface

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
BGonz7
Beginner

Dear Carlos,

If I disable the Teredo Tunneling Pseudo Interface while the connection is working, the connection keeps working. I tried to disable, but on next computer restart, it comes up automatically again.

I have tried to disable ipv6 in Wi-Fi network characteristics, it did not seem to work and I also tried to unsintall Tunneling Pseudo Interface. This last one was not a good idea because the Intel driver would show the exclamation sign with a Code 10 error. the device manager said also that the device did not exist... So I tried to uninstall it, and I was not able to re- install because Windows would not recongnize new hardware. Even if I tried to install it manually, it could not find the adapter. After a restart, Windows found the device, but the problem is still there.

I don't know what to do next, and I have no way to know if it is hardware issue or software, but I have tried everything I could from the software point of view. If you have any other idea, I will do it.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello New-User,

Considering the troubleshooting performed, and looking at the system messages included in the System Support Utility report you shared with us earlier, we're leaning towards this being a hardware issue.

There's a lot of error messages starting with:

"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : el adaptador de red devolvió un valor no válido al controlador."

Which was then succeeded by a large number of entries showing the adapter not working properly:

"Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 : se determinó que el adaptador de red no está funcionando correctamente."

There should be no issues with the Teredo nor the Wi-Fi Direct interfaces, these are very common tools used by the operating system and should not result in connectivity issues. Our recommendation at this point will be to continue working with your computer manufacter, who will hopefully be able to help you replace your hardware.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos