Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7422 Discussions

Wifi driver disconnects/disappears whenever computer goes to sleep (Code 45)

br97
Beginner

Hi, I am currently facing an issue where my Intel AX200 wifi driver keeps disconnecting every time the computer goes to sleep. When I turn the computer back on from sleep, it will say " Currently this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer". I would then have to open up my computer, remove the Wifi card and slot it back in. When I do this and start up my computer, the Wifi driver will appear again and the wifi will be working. However, once the computer goes to sleep, the same problem occurs.

I have tried a few solutions, such as going to device manager > Network adapters > Intel AX200 > power management and checking the box that says "allow the computer to turn this device to save power", i.e. I have disabled this function. I have also tried uninstalling the driver from the Device Manager and reinstalling the latest one from Intel's website. Unfortunately, these solutions do not work for me.

One other thing I noticed is that it appears that this problem only started to happen after I have installed the Windows update "2021-06 Update for Windows 10 Version 21H1 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)", though I am not exactly too sure if this is the cause as I might have downloaded this update 1-2 days before the problem happened.

Should I try installing an older Wifi driver? Should I uninstall the Windows update entirely? Would really appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Br97,

You don't mention anything about the PC other than the adapter. Is this a custom-built PC, or something you ordered and was pre-built? What brand and model if preordered, or what motherboard if custom-built?

Since you believe the problem began after installing the 21H1 update, I would suggest uninstalling the update and see what results you get?

0 Kudos
br97
Beginner
It is a custom built pc. The motherboard is a gigabyte B550M DS3H

I’ll will try uninstalling the update and let you know if that works
0 Kudos
br97
Beginner
Hi Khun_Doug, may I know how I can go about uninstalling the update? I went to settings > update & security > windows update > view update history > uninstall updates. But it does not give me the option to uninstall all the updates that are listed in my update history
0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Br97,

The quick way to remove the most recent feature update is to go to Settings, Update & Security, in the left column choose Recovery, and then choose Go back to the previous version of Windows 10. Unfortunately, this option seems unavailable after the update was installed more than 10 days. The only thing I can suggest if this option is unavailable for you would be to install a clean copy of version 20H2. The bad side of that is that all your apps will need to be reinstalled.

You didn't say what version of BIOS is installed on your motherboard. Your problem sounds like am issue with the motherboard and power management. I'm curious how things go when you fall back to version 20H2.

0 Kudos
br97
Beginner
Its odd because the windows up seems to be installed on 20 June but I can’t see the “go back to previous version of windows 10”.
The bios version is American Megatrends Inc. F10, 18/9/2020.
Is the bios version supposed to be that if I had only recently bought the motherboard two weeks ago which is supposed to be new?
0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Br97,

The motherboard likely sat on a shelf or in a warehouse since sometime in 2020. Even though it was just bought and was new, the BIOS that was installed was the latest available at the time of manufacture. People run into this frequently when trying to use a newer processor that was released after the motherboard was made. They discover they need to update the BIOS before the motherboard will recognize the CPU.

You could flash the BIOS and see if that relieves any of the odd behavior you are experiencing. That would be quicker than reinstalling the OS!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This is, at least in some respects, similar to other reports where the installation of a Windows update will screw up the operations of the Wireless (or Bluetooth) drivers. My usual guidance in those cases is to do a clean install of the drivers. 

Here is my guidance for how to perform this clean install. I use the AX200 module as an example:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30434 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30515.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
br97
Beginner
Hi Scott, I’ve tried doing this but it didn’t work. After step 13, when I reboot my computer, the wifi drivers do not even show up on device manager. I am unable to turn on the wifi at all.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Ok, this sounds like (a) the BIOS is somehow disabling the card (or screwing up its config), (b) there is something wrong with the card or (c) there is something wrong in Windows (and perhaps a reinstall is necessary).
Not sure how you want to attack these possibilities, but I put in order of ease of attack.
...S
0 Kudos